2 Years in With Mario: An In-Depth Approach

I’ll apologize in advance for the length of this post. If you want to scroll to the bottom and read the TLDR version, be my guest. For the Cristobal Crusaders that will surely have their feathers ruffled by what’s just the flat-out truth (numbers never lie), fly away and seek shelter in the recruiting threads.

Ripping the bandaid right off, a sub .500 record through two seasons is unacceptable at the University of Miami…no matter who the coach is. I’m afraid a lot of you that err on the side of hope (not to be misconstrued with peacocking) continue to point towards the recruiting classes as evidence that if the roster is loaded, there’s no way Mario can ***** it up. But before we get into that by comparing him to a former Miami coach, let’s analyze the actual concrete results we as fans have had to endure these last two years. This includes:

• A blowout loss to Middle Tennessee St.
  • One of the most boneheaded losses in college football history to Georgia Tech by refusing to take a knee
  • Winless against Florida State and UNC
  • First ever defeat to Rutgers
  • 12-13 record overall
  • 6-10 in conference play
  • 7-8 at home
  • 5-5 on the road

So that’s…not great. Really there’s no argument against it being utterly bewildering. We’ve seen his numbers compared to other coaches in Year 2, and he’s just ahead of Sunbelt Billy in terms of success from a win-loss perspective. But - let’s keep trudging along.

@Suhrthing made a great thread regarding recruiting not being enough to deem a coach as successful. Roster makeup and talent absolutely matters, but wins and losses matter 10x more. I urge many of you to look back on former Cane-turned rat Randy Shannon and his first two seasons at the University of Miami.

Shannon:

Yr 1: 5-7
Yr 2: 7-6 (6th loss came on 12/27/08 Emerald Bowl by 7 pts)

Cristobal:

Yr 1: 5-7
Yr 2: 7-6 (6th loss came on 12/28/23 Pinstripe Bowl by 7 pts)

Remember, Shannon was (and still is) heralded as an elite recruiter that would build a fence around South Florida and bring in elite talent. I mean he did bring in the number one class in 2008 and a top ten class in 2009. And yet, Shannon didn’t bring any advantage when it came to game days.

Which brings me to my next point. What disconsernible advantage does Mario bring other than in the high school talent acquisition department? On game days, he’s arguably a net negative. Is there anything positive that he brings regarding schematics, prepping, clock management, adjustments, key decision-making, etc?

I can’t even give him flowers for portal recruiting. What is the ratio of unquestioned, game-changing additions compared to flat-out Jags and/or non-impact players in two cycles?

I’ll give you Lee, Cohen, Kiko, Porter. Two are gone now.

I question a whooooole lot more than that. Seriously, who else made you go “wow, that dude is a game-changer. He’s one of our best players.”

The facts are the facts, and a lot of the angst towards people that question where this ship is going is predicated on a fear that this is the program’s last shot at relevancy. Mario is basically Ed Orgeron, except Orgeron sat in the corner on game day, acquired elite talent through recruiting + the portal, and hired an innovative OC (or OC’s if you want to play the two-headed game).

This portal cycle is going to be massive for this program. As much as we want to believe and rationalize our lack of success in 2022 and 2023, the fact is three consecutive underwhelming seasons at Miami got Manny fired and got people to turn on Golden and Shannon. Why would Mario be any different should this occur?

It’s not just me or CIS that realizes this. Mario is getting DRAGGED on social media. Feel free to search yourselves, but here’s a few examples that don’t even include the laughingstock he caused from the GT game.

YIKES.

That’s a pretty big account. Here’s #3

Blue bloods is a joke, but let’s not deny they have 17.5K followers that see this kind of propaganda.

I haven’t even gotten to the glaring holes in the roster that need to be addressed, and this is TWO YEARS into the regime.

TLDR: The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over, and expecting a different result. Something has to change on game day, or we will be having the same discussions next season. I don’t care how well you recruit, at some point you have to prove it on the field. These first two seasons were an unmitigated disaster, and Mario has to fix it asap.

Great post and 100% fact everything you said. This was an objective post too given the fact we are all canes fans cheering for the same team.

However, I am holding out hope for a major change in year 3. We have so much invested in Mario we would be set back once again if we have to fire yet another HC. Do you think Miami can even afford to fire Mario after 3 or 4 years given the fact we have so much invested in him for 10 years?

Advertisement
Great post and 100% fact everything you said. This was an objective post too given the fact we are all canes fans cheering for the same team.

However, I am holding out hope for a major change in year 3. We have so much invested in Mario we would be set back once again if we have to fire yet another HC. Do you think Miami can even afford to fire Mario after 3 or 4 years given the fact we have so much invested in him for 10 years?
I’m not throwing in the towel, not by a long shot. I think he can adapt on multiple fronts, but for now…it’s hard not to call a spade a spade.

I just want to see some changes like you said. We can’t keep doing the same things over and over - the undisciplined play, clock-management woes, conservative play-calling…it’s a re-occurring nightmare.

Recruiting just masks these deficiencies, and no amount of 5-stars will change that if the operation and plan of attack is still the same.

They have ACTUAL coaches that know SCHEMES. Smart is a defensive mastermind. Day knows offense like the back of his hand. Jim took a NFL team to the Super Bowl. These men know their craft AND get talented loaded rosters. Their gameday coaching is more advanced than what we have currently . Mario’s background is an O-Line coach. He is an amazing recruiter and this combination is what got him FIU, Bama, Oregon and now here. He understands infrastructure building and talent acquisition but that’s where his abilities end. Like the former poster said he has to take a long hard look in the mirror and make changes to save his legacy. ****, UM’s legacy at this point.
Oh, Day knows offense like the back of his hand? What a great performance they had against Penn State, ND, and Michigan. If their defense wasn't as good as they are, they would have lost to both ND and Penn State. Lets not sit here and pretend these coaches are masterminds when it comes to scheme

Advertisement
Undisciplined team that makes many mental mistakes is exactly what a good head coach should fix/control. Wasn’t that Manny’s problem? I thought Mario bro was going to cure all of that. He hasn’t and he is trash

Look at a team like Utah, that has an amazing head coach, and how that team plays year in and year out. They had their 3rd string QB this year and competed for the PAC 12 in what was the best conference this year. If Mario was 1/10 the coach Wittingham is he wouldn’t have a losing record after year 2

And yes most of the things that are happening in the field are his fault. Remember what you see on the field is what he coaches them to do or allows them to do.
I agree with you. Mario has failed to put together a disciplined team. It killed us in most of our losses this season. But people on this site are blaming the loss on clock management, which couldn't be further from the truth. Additionally, there was some very poor effort on the defensive side of the ball last night. You cant really teach effort, especially at this effort.

Advertisement
Listen if mario let TVD have a finals say on who the OC should be then lets just end this nightmare now lol

Not saying don’t ask his opinion but him choosing? Is this madden man? Wth are we doing lol
Look I have no idea if Trajan is right or not. If he is, 100% agree with you. Obviously you want your QB involved in some capacity and comfortable with the decision, but it’s Mario’s decision at the end of the day. That’s what he gets paid to do.

The larger picture is now we have our own ex-Canes seeing the light. We went through this with Manny, and Golden, and Shannon…Something has to change.

There is no more defending of Mario as a game day corch. How can there be? I can list all the built-in excuses for yesterday's loss, but it doesn't change the basic premise that Mario sucks on game day. He is not going to change either. The only "hope" is that he can stack enough talent to turn this **** around and that the talent stays for at least 3 years and doesn't portal out every year or two so that his fYziCaLity can take over.

What's worse? Feeling the enthusiasm for Canes football slowly ebb out of my soul. The emotional detachment is real.

Advertisement
We looked small compared to them boys too. They looked like they hit the weight room for real.
There's no way. We hired a loud 'stache to fix that.

I'll be honest, i was a Feeley fan. I thought that guy was the goods and really respected what he did here and then again to that Duke team after leaving Miami. I think there are better S&C coaches out there but he was the best i felt we've had in recent memory.

I’m not throwing in the towel, not by a long shot. I think he can adapt on multiple fronts, but for now…it’s hard not to call a spade a spade.

I just want to see some changes like you said. We can’t keep doing the same things over and over - the undisciplined play, clock-management woes, conservative play-calling…it’s a re-occurring nightmare.

Recruiting just masks these deficiencies, and no amount of 5-stars will change that if the operation and plan of attack is still the same.
You are one of the better and best posters on this site. I like objectivity when it comes to sports especially when it is for the teams we love and root for. We have to be realistic with ourselves. Thanks for your contributions to CIS.

Advertisement
OP - spot on as usual.

Only nit is the comment about Randy. He was not a great recruiter. He may have been good with a few schools but everywhere else especially OOS, he was average.

You are one of the better and best posters on this site. I like objectivity when it comes to sports especially when it is for the teams we love and root for. We have to be realistic with ourselves. Thanks for your contributions to CIS.
I appreciate that, truly.

I know I can get into it with people on this site, and have to do a better job of keeping emotions in check…but man, it all stems from wanting to be proud of my program again. We’re a laughingstock on game days and we keep repeating the same mistakes.

Mopes, slurpers, people in the middle…we ALL want Miami to be great again. No one should think differently, otherwise you’re not a true supporter of this program. I’m just beyond frustrated, that’s all. This time around is supposed to be different, and so far it’s not…At least regarding game days.

Here’s to hoping that Year 3 is where we finally start seeing some tangible results on the field and proper adjustments being made. I refuse to believe Mario is stupid enough to ignore these deficiencies/ fail to recognize these flaws.

247 changed everything before 2010. With what’s available Randy had a top 5 class and two top 15 classes. I disagree that Mario and Randy are similar at recruiting. They may have recruited SF similarly but Mario gets higher caliber players in the trenches and OOS.

They make it way too hard on game day. Not enough tempo, motion, or misdirection. Maybe they cross the proverbial talent threshold where it doesn’t matter if the defense knows the play but as it stands offense isn’t as hard as they’re making it.

Glass half full, no matter who was starting when Miami hit the field they weren’t a team that quit when they went down by a couple TDs.

I agree with you. Mario has failed to put together a disciplined team. It killed us in most of our losses this season. But people on this site are blaming the loss on clock management, which couldn't be further from the truth. Additionally, there was some very poor effort on the defensive side of the ball last night. You cant really teach effort, especially at this effort.
Mario isn’t an X/O guy, he isn’t a strategist so he should be able to motivate. IMO a HC main job is to motivate and make sure his team is ready to play. Can you really say he does that well?

Advertisement
Back