2 Years in With Mario: An In-Depth Approach

The difference being Randy Shannon had no HC experience. Neither did Diaz. So when you hire someone with no experience your buyout is pretty low…unless you do something stupid like prematurely extend them like we did with…Coker, Shannon and even Golden.

So people no longer wanted an inexperienced HC. (Golden) but wait…he needs Power 5 HC expereince! That’s why Golden failed. OK, Richt. Oh wait, he’s past his prime and was fired. OK, we need a younger, Power 5 coach who has conference titles and some signature wins. Enter Mario Cristobal. But here’s the thing, you don’t get a HC to leave a program who is not already fired unless you give him an amazing buyout.

That’s where we are.

Chances are Mario will not learn from CIS comments, or Tweets. He will keep doing what he has always done.

The choice is not “should we fire him” but “should we watch” if nothing is going to change. It really is your own choice.
Maybe we are just cursed. That’s my conclusion. We are in a perpetual state of eternal return. Just swap the coaches out and it’s the same results every time haha

Advertisement
My comment comes from an article earlier in the season, where a ‘person inside the program’ stated that Mario spends too much time focused on things that don’t matter. I translate this as Mario focusing on micromanaging too much, which to me is ‘overthinking everything‘.
Starting to think he spends time on things that don’t matter much because he can’t really help with football **** that really matters lol.

When i listen to his press conferences or him talk, it sounds like a general manager more than a football coach(not a bad thing), he doesn’t seem like he’s a great football mind and thats gonna be a disadvantage for us

I’ll apologize in advance for the length of this post. If you want to scroll to the bottom and read the TLDR version, be my guest. For the Cristobal Crusaders that will surely have their feathers ruffled by what’s just the flat-out truth (numbers never lie), fly away and seek shelter in the recruiting threads.

Ripping the bandaid right off, a sub .500 record through two seasons is unacceptable at the University of Miami…no matter who the coach is. I’m afraid a lot of you that err on the side of hope (not to be misconstrued with peacocking) continue to point towards the recruiting classes as evidence that if the roster is loaded, there’s no way Mario can ***** it up. But before we get into that by comparing him to a former Miami coach, let’s analyze the actual concrete results we as fans have had to endure these last two years. This includes:

• A blowout loss to Middle Tennessee St.
  • One of the most boneheaded losses in college football history to Georgia Tech by refusing to take a knee
  • Winless against Florida State and UNC
  • First ever defeat to Rutgers
  • 12-13 record overall
  • 6-10 in conference play
  • 7-8 at home
  • 5-5 on the road

So that’s…not great. Really there’s no argument against it being utterly bewildering. We’ve seen his numbers compared to other coaches in Year 2, and he’s just ahead of Sunbelt Billy in terms of success from a win-loss perspective. But - let’s keep trudging along.

@Suhrthing made a great thread regarding recruiting not being enough to deem a coach as successful. Roster makeup and talent absolutely matters, but wins and losses matter 10x more. I urge many of you to look back on former Cane-turned rat Randy Shannon and his first two seasons at the University of Miami.

Shannon:

Yr 1: 5-7
Yr 2: 7-6 (6th loss came on 12/27/08 Emerald Bowl by 7 pts)

Cristobal:

Yr 2: 7-6 (6th loss came on 12/28/23 Pinstripe Bowl by 7 pts)

Remember, Shannon was (and still is) heralded as an elite recruiter that would build a fence around South Florida and bring in elite talent. I mean he did bring in the number one class in 2008 and a top ten class in 2009. And yet, Shannon didn’t bring any advantage when it came to game days.

Which brings me to my next point. What disconsernible advantage does Mario bring other than in the high school talent acquisition department? On game days, he’s arguably a net negative. Is there anything positive that he brings regarding schematics, prepping, clock management, adjustments, key decision-making, etc?

I can’t even give him flowers for portal recruiting. What is the ratio of unquestioned, game-changing additions compared to flat-out Jags and/or non-impact players in two cycles?

I’ll give you Lee, Cohen, Kiko, Porter. Two are gone now.

I question a whooooole lot more than that. Seriously, who else made you go “wow, that dude is a game-changer. He’s one of our best players.”

The facts are the facts, and a lot of the angst towards people that question where this ship is going is predicated on a fear that this is the program’s last shot at relevancy. Mario is basically Ed Orgeron, except Orgeron sat in the corner on game day, acquired elite talent through recruiting + the portal, and hired an innovative OC (or OC’s if you want to play the two-headed game).

This portal cycle is going to be massive for this program. As much as we want to believe and rationalize our lack of success in 2022 and 2023, the fact is three consecutive underwhelming seasons at Miami got Manny fired and got people to turn on Golden and Shannon. Why would Mario be any different should this occur?

It’s not just me or CIS that realizes this. Mario is getting DRAGGED on social media. Feel free to search yourselves, but here’s a few examples that don’t even include the laughingstock he caused from the GT game.

YIKES.

That’s a pretty big account. Here’s #3

Blue bloods is a joke, but let’s not deny they have 17.5K followers that see this kind of propaganda.

I haven’t even gotten to the glaring holes in the roster that need to be addressed, and this is TWO YEARS into the regime.

TLDR: The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over, and expecting a different result. Something has to change on game day, or we will be having the same discussions next season. I don’t care how well you recruit, at some point you have to prove it on the field. These first two seasons were an unmitigated disaster, and Mario has to fix it asap.

Cardale Jones sounds petty as f#ck. I wonder what school he went too??? Ohh thats right.....no wonder he is so petty right now. He should be more worried about his dyed hair coach who can't beat Michigan then worrying about our problems down south. Sounds like he is a bit concern about the recruiting wars between OSU vs Miami

You proved my point lol. All of that has nothing to do with clock management. We're an extremely undisciplined team that makes a lot of mental mistakes. People act like Harbough, Kirby Smart and Day are these coaching geniuses. Those programs win because they are extremely talented and they play smart/disciplined football
Undisciplined team that makes many mental mistakes is exactly what a good head coach should fix/control. Wasn’t that Manny’s problem? I thought Mario bro was going to cure all of that. He hasn’t and he is trash

Look at a team like Utah, that has an amazing head coach, and how that team plays year in and year out. They had their 3rd string QB this year and competed for the PAC 12 in what was the best conference this year. If Mario was 1/10 the coach Wittingham is he wouldn’t have a losing record after year 2

And yes most of the things that are happening in the field are his fault. Remember what you see on the field is what he coaches them to do or allows them to do.

Advertisement
How many 4-star kids and transfers was that Rutgers team fielding today? How many kids on that team will get drafted?

Let's be real. That Rutgers offense is BAD. There are no excuses to losing to a team that can't throw the football. If you can't tackle or sack up and stop a team physically, you need to look at yourself in the mirror, especially when that's the ONLY thing your HC is about.

If you're being real that Rutgers team was better then the team we put on the field. They had a better RB and O line then what we had. There defense was better then our defense too. We had nothing but cornerbacks playing safeties out there. If you wanna say Mario didn't prepare this team I will not disagree but you can't say we fielded a better team when we had Ryan Rodriquez and Louie Cristobal at Center and LG with a red shirt freshman at QB. Rutgers was only missing 1 defensive player from the regular season. Theres a reason why LV put Rutgers as the favorite cause they had the better team and we have Wario

He’s not wrong

he's just mad cause OSU had to up there game up in keeping Jeremiah Smith. Oh noooo g0d forbid a 7-5 program would try to take an OSU recruit. This was all about that and the guys he lost to Miami. It has nothing to do with Miami losing to Rutgers. I hope Mario takes more OSU guys in 2024 and 25. Cardale should be more worried about what is OSU doing. They seem to be doing fine in recruiting....so then whats missing? Thats what he needs to be complaining about instead of some ACC team. If Cardale is acting like OSU is not paying there guys then lol that alone is pretty funny

You proved my point lol. All of that has nothing to do with clock management. We're an extremely undisciplined team that makes a lot of mental mistakes. People act like Harbough, Kirby Smart and Day are these coaching geniuses. Those programs win because they are extremely talented and they play smart/disciplined football
They have ACTUAL coaches that know SCHEMES. Smart is a defensive mastermind. Day knows offense like the back of his hand. Jim took a NFL team to the Super Bowl. These men know their craft AND get talented loaded rosters. Their gameday coaching is more advanced than what we have currently . Mario’s background is an O-Line coach. He is an amazing recruiter and this combination is what got him FIU, Bama, Oregon and now here. He understands infrastructure building and talent acquisition but that’s where his abilities end. Like the former poster said he has to take a long hard look in the mirror and make changes to save his legacy. ****, UM’s legacy at this point.

They have ACTUAL coaches that know SCHEMES. Smart is a defensive mastermind. Day knows offense like the back of his hand. Jim took a NFL team to the Super Bowl. These men know their craft AND get talented loaded rosters. Their gameday coaching is more advanced than what we have currently . Mario’s background is an O-Line coach. He is an amazing recruiter and this combination is what got him FIU, Bama, Oregon and now here. He understands infrastructure building and talent acquisition but that’s where his abilities end. Like the former poster said he has to take a long hard look in the mirror and make changes to save his legacy. ****, UM’s legacy at this point.

Honestly I don't think he is capable of doing that either.. . He looks like a big clumsy oaf.. stereotypical of OLmen

Advertisement
Maybe we are just cursed. That’s my conclusion. We are in a perpetual state of eternal return. Just swap the coaches out and it’s the same results every time haha
We NEVER in the last 20 years went and got a REAL FB COACH in his PRIME or up and coming but CLEARLY an elite coach. We have opted for Player-loved Coker, Miami guy Radio, a Golden Cheap Young Car Salesman, Over the hill Richt, insta-hire Diaz and now Miami guy Mario. The administration has always been cheap and when they finally got some $$$ financial backing to go get a coach…it was basically Mario or else courtesy of the Mas brothers.

I’ll apologize in advance for the length of this post. If you want to scroll to the bottom and read the TLDR version, be my guest. For the Cristobal Crusaders that will surely have their feathers ruffled by what’s just the flat-out truth (numbers never lie), fly away and seek shelter in the recruiting threads.

Ripping the bandaid right off, a sub .500 record through two seasons is unacceptable at the University of Miami…no matter who the coach is. I’m afraid a lot of you that err on the side of hope (not to be misconstrued with peacocking) continue to point towards the recruiting classes as evidence that if the roster is loaded, there’s no way Mario can ***** it up. But before we get into that by comparing him to a former Miami coach, let’s analyze the actual concrete results we as fans have had to endure these last two years. This includes:

• One of the most boneheaded losses in college football history to Georgia Tech by refusing to take a knee
  • 12-13 record overall
  • 7-8 at home
  • 5-5 on the road

So that’s…not great. Really there’s no argument against it being utterly bewildering. We’ve seen his numbers compared to other coaches in Year 2, and he’s just ahead of Sunbelt Billy in terms of success from a win-loss perspective. But - let’s keep trudging along.

@Suhrthing made a great thread regarding recruiting not being enough to deem a coach as successful. Roster makeup and talent absolutely matters, but wins and losses matter 10x more. I urge many of you to look back on former Cane-turned rat Randy Shannon and his first two seasons at the University of Miami.

Shannon:

Cristobal:

Remember, Shannon was (and still is) heralded as an elite recruiter that would build a fence around South Florida and bring in elite talent. I mean he did bring in the number one class in 2008 and a top ten class in 2009. And yet, Shannon didn’t bring any advantage when it came to game days.

Which brings me to my next point. What disconsernible advantage does Mario bring other than in the high school talent acquisition department? On game days, he’s arguably a net negative. Is there anything positive that he brings regarding schematics, prepping, clock management, adjustments, key decision-making, etc?

I can’t even give him flowers for portal recruiting. What is the ratio of unquestioned, game-changing additions compared to flat-out Jags and/or non-impact players in two cycles?

I question a whooooole lot more than that. Seriously, who else made you go “wow, that dude is a game-changer. He’s one of our best players.”

The facts are the facts, and a lot of the angst towards people that question where this ship is going is predicated on a fear that this is the program’s last shot at relevancy. Mario is basically Ed Orgeron, except Orgeron sat in the corner on game day, acquired elite talent through recruiting + the portal, and hired an innovative OC (or OC’s if you want to play the two-headed game).

This portal cycle is going to be massive for this program. As much as we want to believe and rationalize our lack of success in 2022 and 2023, the fact is three consecutive underwhelming seasons at Miami got Manny fired and got people to turn on Golden and Shannon. Why would Mario be any different should this occur?

It’s not just me or CIS that realizes this. Mario is getting DRAGGED on social media. Feel free to search yourselves, but here’s a few examples that don’t even include the laughingstock he caused from the GT game.

YIKES.

Blue bloods is a joke, but let’s not deny they have 17.5K followers that see this kind of propaganda.

I haven’t even gotten to the glaring holes in the roster that need to be addressed, and this is TWO YEARS into the regime.

TLDR: The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over, and expecting a different result. Something has to change on game day, or we will be having the same discussions next season. I don’t care how well you recruit, at some point you have to prove it on the field. These first two seasons were an unmitigated disaster, and Mario has to fix

Undisciplined team that makes many mental mistakes is exactly what a good head coach should fix/control. Wasn’t that Manny’s problem? I thought Mario bro was going to cure all of that. He hasn’t and he is trash

Look at a team like Utah, that has an amazing head coach, and how that team plays year in and year out. They had their 3rd string QB this year and competed for the PAC 12 in what was the best conference this year. If Mario was 1/10 the coach Wittingham is he wouldn’t have a losing record after year 2

And yes most of the things that are happening in the field are his fault. Remember what you see on the field is what he coaches them to do or allows them to do.
Exactly!! For an old school guy the lack of discipline is mind boggling. Its killing this team with so many penalties. Its 100% on the HC.

Advertisement
Great post. I'll just say one thing - let Cristobal coach through the end of his contract if he keeps recruiting well. Don't care if it's another 7-6 season as long as he is recruiting top classes. If he's losing and not recruiting then OK, cut bait. But I have to believe that if he's still flopping in year 6, he'll have an epiphany and realize he is a terrible gameday coach and hire elite coordinators, then go sit and smoke a cigar while the game plays out like it's on "Simulate Game" mode on Madden.
YEAR 6??? God help us and the fools who coughed up the big $$ to hire him and his 3’ thick “work” binder if he’s still around by then.

Yes, let's blame all those missed tackles on Mario. Lets blame the interception, blocked punt and Georges atrocious penalties on Mario. Obviously Mario failed to get this team ready for the bowl game, but lets not act like the clock management was the reason we lost

Please stop..... You're making no sense whatsoever....

TrumpyCane isn’t sure why everyone is upset, lost a meaningless bowl game where Rutgers were favored by 2.5

He’s here for 8 years TrumpyCane not going to be upset for no reason knowing he’s going to get at least 5 years

Saying that next year if he can’t win 10 then it’ll be time to start warming up the pitchforks

Advertisement

• 12-13 record overall
  • 7-8 at home
  • 5-5 on the road

Shannon:

Cristobal:

YIKES.

TLDR: The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over, and expecting a different result. Something has to change on game day, or we will be having the same discussions next season. I don’t care how well you recruit, at some point you have to prove it on the field. These first two seasons were an unmitigated disaster, and Mario has to fix it asap.

Mario will not change. He is what he is. Nice guy a bit stubborn and dumb. I’d be happy and surprised if he turns it around but his excuses fall flat. We have at least 4-5 years more of this dunce. What an absolute shame the U cannot get a good football coach.

TrumpyCane isn’t sure why everyone is upset, lost a meaningless bowl game where Rutgers were favored by 2.5

He’s here for 8 years TrumpyCane not going to be upset for no reason knowing he’s going to get at least 5 years

Saying that next year if he can’t win 10 then it’ll be time to start warming up the pitchforks
Can we at least fly the Banner next year? I’ll contribute $100 for next 5 years until he is done. I’m guessing seeing the banner fly will give me the only satisfaction I’ll get from the U.

• 12-13 record overall
  • 7-8 at home
  • 5-5 on the road

Shannon:

Cristobal:

YIKES.

Terrence Ross Wow GIF

So to sum up this entire thread ………………………..Mario is a Corch. I’ve been saying this for a long time. Excellent recruiter but mediocre to below average coach. He’s always sounded the part but his actions and results have shown nothing. I agree with many of you saying he brings nothing to gameday.

Advertisement
Back