2 Years in With Mario: An In-Depth Approach

The difference being Randy Shannon had no HC experience. Neither did Diaz. So when you hire someone with no experience your buyout is pretty low…unless you do something stupid like prematurely extend them like we did with…Coker, Shannon and even Golden.

So people no longer wanted an inexperienced HC. (Golden) but wait…he needs Power 5 HC expereince! That’s why Golden failed. OK, Richt. Oh wait, he’s past his prime and was fired. OK, we need a younger, Power 5 coach who has conference titles and some signature wins. Enter Mario Cristobal. But here’s the thing, you don’t get a HC to leave a program who is not already fired unless you give him an amazing buyout.

That’s where we are.

Chances are Mario will not learn from CIS comments, or Tweets. He will keep doing what he has always done.

The choice is not “should we fire him” but “should we watch” if nothing is going to change. It really is your own choice.

Advertisement
Actually I think you just proved my point.

re: clock management - what if Mario doesn’t take his two timeouts to Cancun, and uses them either on Rutgers’s last drive or on our last TD drive? Maybe we have more than 22 seconds to get into the end zone.

I mean cmon man. We sound like a broken record on here complaining and highlighting the same things that drive us bonkers and hold the program back. It’s all self-inflicted.
On that final TD drive, Mario didn't ever need to take any of those timeouts. They moved the ball 75 yards pretty efficiently in only a minute and thirty seconds. Idk if you remember but the clock stops when you get a first down, and they used the sideline to their advantage. There was never a scenario where we needed to take a timeout

This is just a never ending nightmare. You’d have to be clinically INSANE if you think this team with this coaching staff improves the record next year.

Obviously Mario has a massive contact but his seat gonna be scorching hot when we lose another 6 games next year.

Todays game you need OCs who can manufacture points when there are holes in the roster…. And as we’ve seen, Dawson brings ZERO advantage.

-OL will have 2 new starters
-Fletcher is out for the year (Achilles) *RUMOR
-No QB currently
-No difference makers at WR
-No usage of TEs
-No QB

Year 3 is pivotal and I just don’t see it with this team next year.
Why do people keep repeating Fletcher injury info. He hurt his foot and it’s not broken. Chill

On that final TD drive, Mario didn't ever need to take any of those timeouts. They moved the ball 75 yards pretty efficiently in only a minute and thirty seconds. Idk if you remember but the clock stops when you get a first down, and they used the sideline to their advantage. There was never a scenario where we needed to take a timeout
I am going to disagree on this point. JB needed to be told to throw the ball to a fast guy (not Restreppo) coming across the middle of the field or just put up a ball in the end zone and hope our guy makes a miracle play on the ball. A time out to tell him to do so would have benefited him.

Advertisement
What gives you that impression?

My guess is that Mario is a 'square peg in a round hole' kinda guy. He seems to do well when the pre-game plan works. When it doesnt, we see no changes in scheme, no personnel moves, etc. Just a continual attempt at pounding the square peg.
My comment comes from an article earlier in the season, where a ‘person inside the program’ stated that Mario spends too much time focused on things that don’t matter. I translate this as Mario focusing on micromanaging too much, which to me is ‘overthinking everything‘.

Last edited:
My comment comes from an article earlier in the season, where a ‘person inside the program’ stated that Mario spend too much time focused on things that don’t matter. I translate this as Mario focusing on micromanaging too much, which to me is ‘overthinking everything‘.

Makes sense. I can see Mario being that kind of manager.

I am going to disagree on this point. JB needed to be told to throw the ball to a fast guy (not Restreppo) coming across the middle of the field or just put up a ball in the end zone and hope our guy makes a miracle play on the ball. A time out to tell him to do so would have benefited him.
When it's 4th and 6 with time left on the clock, you don't go for the Hail Mary. If they converted, they had one maybe even two plays left that they could have run. Also, the coaches can tell JB to throw it to a "faster wr" all they want, but they can't control if they're open or not lol. Rutgers also wasn't going to let that happen

Advertisement
So why did we recuit Ray Ray who is super fast (look at his high school tape), elusive, if we aren't going to play him? Or how about Chris Johnson, a super fast RB and not test the desense on the edges. What is the point in recruiting talent if the OC doesn't use them?

So why did we recuit Ray Ray who is super fast (look at his high school tape), elusive, if we aren't going to play him? Or how about Chris Johnson, a super fast RB and not test the desense on the edges. What is the point in recruiting talent if the OC doesn't use them?
They aren't fyzical enough

Boggles my mind we talk about needing an infusion of speed, only to not play them.

This has been an issue with previous staffs as well…so it begs the question: what’s different?

Advertisement
This offense should be able to run the ball down the throats of anybody we play. Mario's O-line should be able to do that. The fact that this offense needs a very good QB to function at all is a giant red flag.

This offense should be able to run the ball down the throats of anybody we play. Mario's O-line should be able to do that. The fact that this offense needs a very good QB to function at all is a giant red flag.
Clipped_image_20231228_235242.png

There's no rebuttal to an illegitimate opening.

Calm down. I can tell you're emotional. But it's not about me...you opened.

Just make sure you can actually see what's going on.

Our team is really good, but now we're nowhere deep enough to be where we need to be.

Obviously...JB...was our starter today.

And yes we all saw the real USC recently.

Even a really good OC can't win a game without a capable QB, and no JB isn't capable. He honestly should move to WR. (**** you can even make a case for how many bad snaps he snagged today) he is just not a good QB. But his tools could possibly translate to something...and that's easier said than done.

But JUST STOP pointing fingers.
top gear ladies GIF

Advertisement
I’ll apologize in advance for the length of this post. If you want to scroll to the bottom and read the TLDR version, be my guest. For the Cristobal Crusaders that will surely have their feathers ruffled by what’s just the flat-out truth (numbers never lie), fly away and seek shelter in the recruiting threads.

Ripping the bandaid right off, a sub .500 record through two seasons is unacceptable at the University of Miami…no matter who the coach is. I’m afraid a lot of you that err on the side of hope (not to be misconstrued with peacocking) continue to point towards the recruiting classes as evidence that if the roster is loaded, there’s no way Mario can ***** it up. But before we get into that by comparing him to a former Miami coach, let’s analyze the actual concrete results we as fans have had to endure these last two years. This includes:

• A blowout loss to Middle Tennessee St.
  • One of the most boneheaded losses in college football history to Georgia Tech by refusing to take a knee
  • Winless against Florida State and UNC
  • First ever defeat to Rutgers
  • 12-13 record overall
  • 6-10 in conference play
  • 7-8 at home
  • 5-5 on the road

So that’s…not great. Really there’s no argument against it being utterly bewildering. We’ve seen his numbers compared to other coaches in Year 2, and he’s just ahead of Sunbelt Billy in terms of success from a win-loss perspective. But - let’s keep trudging along.

@Suhrthing made a great thread regarding recruiting not being enough to deem a coach as successful. Roster makeup and talent absolutely matters, but wins and losses matter 10x more. I urge many of you to look back on former Cane-turned rat Randy Shannon and his first two seasons at the University of Miami.

Shannon:

Yr 1: 5-7
Yr 2: 7-6 (6th loss came on 12/27/08 Emerald Bowl by 7 pts)

Cristobal:

Yr 1: 5-7
Yr 2: 7-6 (6th loss came on 12/28/23 Pinstripe Bowl by 7 pts)

Remember, Shannon was (and still is) heralded as an elite recruiter that would build a fence around South Florida and bring in elite talent. I mean he did bring in the number one class in 2008 and a top ten class in 2009. And yet, Shannon didn’t bring any advantage when it came to game days.

Which brings me to my next point. What disconsernible advantage does Mario bring other than in the high school talent acquisition department? On game days, he’s arguably a net negative. Is there anything positive that he brings regarding schematics, prepping, clock management, adjustments, key decision-making, etc?

I can’t even give him flowers for portal recruiting. What is the ratio of unquestioned, game-changing additions compared to flat-out Jags and/or non-impact players in two cycles?

I’ll give you Lee, Cohen, Kiko, Porter. Two are gone now.

I question a whooooole lot more than that. Seriously, who else made you go “wow, that dude is a game-changer. He’s one of our best players.”

The facts are the facts, and a lot of the angst towards people that question where this ship is going is predicated on a fear that this is the program’s last shot at relevancy. Mario is basically Ed Orgeron, except Orgeron sat in the corner on game day, acquired elite talent through recruiting + the portal, and hired an innovative OC (or OC’s if you want to play the two-headed game).

This portal cycle is going to be massive for this program. As much as we want to believe and rationalize our lack of success in 2022 and 2023, the fact is three consecutive underwhelming seasons at Miami got Manny fired and got people to turn on Golden and Shannon. Why would Mario be any different should this occur?

It’s not just me or CIS that realizes this. Mario is getting DRAGGED on social media. Feel free to search yourselves, but here’s a few examples that don’t even include the laughingstock he caused from the GT game.

YIKES.

That’s a pretty big account. Here’s #3

Blue bloods is a joke, but let’s not deny they have 17.5K followers that see this kind of propaganda.

I haven’t even gotten to the glaring holes in the roster that need to be addressed, and this is TWO YEARS into the regime.

TLDR: The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over, and expecting a different result. Something has to change on game day, or we will be having the same discussions next season. I don’t care how well you recruit, at some point you have to prove it on the field. These first two seasons were an unmitigated disaster, and Mario has to fix it asap.

Great post. I'll just say one thing - let Cristobal coach through the end of his contract if he keeps recruiting well. Don't care if it's another 7-6 season as long as he is recruiting top classes. If he's losing and not recruiting then OK, cut bait. But I have to believe that if he's still flopping in year 6, he'll have an epiphany and realize he is a terrible gameday coach and hire elite coordinators, then go sit and smoke a cigar while the game plays out like it's on "Simulate Game" mode on Madden.

I wonder which poster has repeatedly said all of this since early last season?

Not trying to get credit or clout. Just pointing it out because I was crapped on by a bunch of the posters that are now saying the same things that I have been saying since last season.

Go figure.

Program is a circus. I watch other teams and they look like a team. As if they’ve actually seen a football before. There’s no coming back. But we all hope and pray. It’s all moot.
I honestly think a positive would be to tell 3 to leave not 17 yet he’s just a frosh maybe he learns but George is always doing stupid ****. Get rid of that cancer idc what he did this year. He’s one of the last stupid ones left

Advertisement
Back