2 Years in With Mario: An In-Depth Approach

Advertisement
I struggle internally with this.

I can’t say whether you’re right or wrong. We’ve seen the good Dawson against A&M and Louisville, and the bad against NC State, UVA, somewhat FSU (don’t necessarily blame him for the conservative play-calling with Emory), today, etc.

Now, some will say the good was because of Dawson and the bad was because of TVD. I disagree with that sentiment and believe everyone was at fault for the losses, just like everyone should be praised when there’s success.

However, I will say today was a perfect chance to really open it up - I mean we didn’t really have anything to lose. Particularly when we were up 17-14 mid 3Q.

Again I struggle because is it Dawson, or is it a reoccurring pattern of a Mario-approved OC being underwhelming and predictable in key moments? I just don’t know.
If it quacks like a duck, it’s a ………….

chicken reflection GIF

What? Are you ok lol.

Give me a real rebuttal, I’ve got time today. Tell me Mario is your goat.
There's no rebuttal to an illegitimate opening.

Calm down. I can tell you're emotional. But it's not about me...you opened.

Just make sure you can actually see what's going on.

Our team is really good, but now we're nowhere deep enough to be where we need to be.

Obviously...JB...was our starter today.

And yes we all saw the real USC recently.

Even a really good OC can't win a game without a capable QB, and no JB isn't capable. He honestly should move to WR. (**** you can even make a case for how many bad snaps he snagged today) he is just not a good QB. But his tools could possibly translate to something...and that's easier said than done.

But JUST STOP pointing fingers.

Advertisement
A million times, this this this.

The Miami area produces the fastest individuals in the world outside of Jamaica and we want to play like Wisconsin. I don't get it, at all.

Because we have a meathead/brut OLineman running our team and getting his hands involved in the offense.

And he's missed out oo the top two WRs out of SoFla the last two years

Plus TVD **** his pants starting in the GT game, and we still don't have a real QB

Last edited:

Our team is really good, but now we're nowhere deep enough to be where we need to be.

LOL, sure let’s take the bowl game away for some reason.

We’re the best 7-5 in the history of college football?

**** yeah we are. Sounds like you’re a bit emotional from this post. Check yourself.

1703814691714.png

I’ll apologize in advance for the length of this post. If you want to scroll to the bottom and read the TLDR version, be my guest. For the Cristobal Crusaders that will surely have their feathers ruffled by what’s just the flat-out truth (numbers never lie), fly away and seek shelter in the recruiting threads.

Ripping the bandaid right off, a sub .500 record through two seasons is unacceptable at the University of Miami…no matter who the coach is. I’m afraid a lot of you that err on the side of hope (not to be misconstrued with peacocking) continue to point towards the recruiting classes as evidence that if the roster is loaded, there’s no way Mario can ***** it up. But before we get into that by comparing him to a former Miami coach, let’s analyze the actual concrete results we as fans have had to endure these last two years. This includes:

• A blowout loss to Middle Tennessee St.
  • One of the most boneheaded losses in college football history to Georgia Tech by refusing to take a knee
  • Winless against Florida State and UNC
  • First ever defeat to Rutgers
  • 12-13 record overall
  • 6-10 in conference play
  • 7-8 at home
  • 5-5 on the road

So that’s…not great. Really there’s no argument against it being utterly bewildering. We’ve seen his numbers compared to other coaches in Year 2, and he’s just ahead of Sunbelt Billy in terms of success from a win-loss perspective. But - let’s keep trudging along.

@Suhrthing made a great thread regarding recruiting not being enough to deem a coach as successful. Roster makeup and talent absolutely matters, but wins and losses matter 10x more. I urge many of you to look back on former Cane-turned rat Randy Shannon and his first two seasons at the University of Miami.

Shannon:

Yr 1: 5-7
Yr 2: 7-6 (6th loss came on 12/27/08 Emerald Bowl by 7 pts)

Cristobal:

Yr 1: 5-7
Yr 2: 7-6 (6th loss came on 12/28/23 Pinstripe Bowl by 7 pts)

Remember, Shannon was (and still is) heralded as an elite recruiter that would build a fence around South Florida and bring in elite talent. I mean he did bring in the number one class in 2008 and a top ten class in 2009. And yet, Shannon didn’t bring any advantage when it came to game days.

Which brings me to my next point. What disconsernible advantage does Mario bring other than in the high school talent acquisition department? On game days, he’s arguably a net negative. Is there anything positive that he brings regarding schematics, prepping, clock management, adjustments, key decision-making, etc?

I can’t even give him flowers for portal recruiting. What is the ratio of unquestioned, game-changing additions compared to flat-out Jags and/or non-impact players in two cycles?

I’ll give you Lee, Cohen, Kiko, Porter. Two are gone now.

I question a whooooole lot more than that. Seriously, who else made you go “wow, that dude is a game-changer. He’s one of our best players.”

The facts are the facts, and a lot of the angst towards people that question where this ship is going is predicated on a fear that this is the program’s last shot at relevancy. Mario is basically Ed Orgeron, except Orgeron sat in the corner on game day, acquired elite talent through recruiting + the portal, and hired an innovative OC (or OC’s if you want to play the two-headed game).

This portal cycle is going to be massive for this program. As much as we want to believe and rationalize our lack of success in 2022 and 2023, the fact is three consecutive underwhelming seasons at Miami got Manny fired and got people to turn on Golden and Shannon. Why would Mario be any different should this occur?

It’s not just me or CIS that realizes this. Mario is getting DRAGGED on social media. Feel free to search yourselves, but here’s a few examples that don’t even include the laughingstock he caused from the GT game.

YIKES.

That’s a pretty big account. Here’s #3

Blue bloods is a joke, but let’s not deny they have 17.5K followers that see this kind of propaganda.

I haven’t even gotten to the glaring holes in the roster that need to be addressed, and this is TWO YEARS into the regime.

TLDR: The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over, and expecting a different result. Something has to change on game day, or we will be having the same discussions next season. I don’t care how well you recruit, at some point you have to prove it on the field. These first two seasons were an unmitigated disaster, and Mario has to fix it asap.

Which Dirty Harry movie had the line, "A man has to know his limitations." Mario should pay attention to that line. He's a great recruiter. Heck, who would have predicted that UM has the #4 class? For other aspects, he should just oversee a staff that is better at game planning, game-time play calling, and developing talent. He should be the face of the Canes selling the program to recruits and boosters, and probably not much else. Without a top notch staff, he's going to fail as the CEO for the program.

We had about as many key players missing as Golden did in his first game when over a dozen players were suspended against Maryland. The Miami team of this September would have crushed Rutgers handily.
How many 4-star kids and transfers was that Rutgers team fielding today? How many kids on that team will get drafted?

Let's be real. That Rutgers offense is BAD. There are no excuses to losing to a team that can't throw the football. If you can't tackle or sack up and stop a team physically, you need to look at yourself in the mirror, especially when that's the ONLY thing your HC is about.

Advertisement
How many 4-star kids and transfers was that Rutgers team fielding today? How many kids on that team will get drafted?

Let's be real. That Rutgers offense is BAD. There are no excuses to losing to a team that can't throw the football. If you can't tackle or sack up and stop a team physically, you need to look at yourself in the mirror, especially when that's the ONLY thing your HC is about.
To add to your post…we had 1 starter missing from the front 7. One. And guess what? They only threw the ball FIFTEEN TIMES.

What does that tell you? This Rutgers team scored 6 against Manny Diaz, 0 against Iowa, 13 against Wisconsin, 7 against Michigan, 24 against NW.

Team was pushed around in the trenches, poor tackling, conservative on offense when it mattered, boneheaded penalties…all in all, poorly prepared like usual.

It’s the same thing over and over.

Advertisement

Just make sure you can actually see what's going on.

Obviously...JB...was our starter today.

And yes we all saw the real USC recently.

Even a really good OC can't win a game without a capable QB, and no JB isn't capable. He honestly should move to WR. (**** you can even make a case for how many bad snaps he snagged today) he is just not a good QB. But his tools could possibly translate to something...and that's easier said than done.

We aren’t deep enough?

Well, you know, Rutgers went in real deep in our asses (no pause) with their 3 four stars and 50 two stars while sticking their upside down U up Mario’s ****** for another embarrassing performance.

Ya’ll love making excuses man.

train tunnel GIF

Advertisement
We aren’t deep enough?

Well, you know, Rutgers went in real deep in in our asses (no pause) with their 3 four stars and 50 two stars while sticking their upside down U up Mario’s ****** for another embarrassing performance.

Ya’ll love making excuses man.

train tunnel GIF
And what's yours?

We looked small compared to them boys too. They looked like they hit the weight room for real.

We had about as many key players missing as Golden did in his first game when over a dozen players were suspended against Maryland. The Miami team of this September would have crushed Rutgers handily.
And Golden got no pass....

We also lead in the game today and lost it due to coaching...

Mario did not sub in kids to get them PT like this was a Pop Warner game and we lost... no we lost because he went into his predictably conservative shell with the lead and then ran out of time in both halves with timeouts to spare...

Advertisement
Back