2 year haul - AG's foundation going forward

TheSwagger1

Retired staff
Premium
Your thoughts? For the purposes of this exercise I'm going to guess we land Bourque, Bush, and Leonard Williams (Williams just because I can't believe we'll only sign Earl Moore at DT). I'll leave out Darius Smith since he'll already be gone after next year. We can obviously revisit this after signing day, because there will be surprises - good & bad.

QB - Dewey, Thompson, Crow, Williams*
RB - Duke, Dillard, Bourque*
WR - Lewis, Waters, Jones, Carter, AJL | Dorsett, Scott
TE - Holifield
OL - Isidora, Gadbois, Flowers

DE - Hoilett, O'Donnell, Hamilton | Chickillo, Williams
DT - Moore, Williams* | Grimble, Pierre, King, Alexis
LB - Kirby, Northrup, Witt, Terry | Perryman, Paul, Johnson
DB - Gunter, Bush*, Jenkins, Hope, Dortch, Davis | Finnie, Crawford, Armbrister

K - Goudis, Botts

So... to be honest, I feel like we did pretty **** good (i.e. challenge for ACC title level) at WR, DE, LB, and likely DB (you have to think SOME of these guys pan out). I like the OL group given that we didn't have a huge need, and Duke at RB is rock solid.

At QB, we gotta hope one of those guys pans out, and I have no clue what to feel about it.

DT - I dunno wtf we're doing. If we could manage to pull Williams, Moore pans out, and Grimble & Pierre stick, it's much better than I currently fear. Even better if Jelani grows into a DT. But right now, i dunno wtf we're doing.

TE - I dunno htf we haven't done better.

Advertisement
It's kind of a 1.5 year haul to be honest, which is a testament to the staff. We had like 2 commitments when AG and Co. hit the road last December.

There is a nice base... we need a big 2014 haul to really finish turning over the roster. Not sure Williams will ever start here from what I understand. Will be interesting to see which freshman QB takes the lead to succeed Morris.

Thanks for putting that together. Interesting look.

Advertisement
Add in the kid from Louisiana, and I think DT starts to look a lot better. LSU's plan B kids would start here over the past five years.

All in all, I think the D side looks great for where we are as a program, realistically. Thin at RB, OL, and TE, but we can always find RBs and the TE roster looks OK right now. Don't think Walford or Cleveland are leaving early anytime soon, and you can (theoretically) bring in kids over the next two seasons to contribute once those two guys are done. Always bring in a JUCO guy if you need to.

He's had jack **** to sell. Amazing he's done this much.

TE is also not a huge need right now...the rest of the list is good, but a few of those guys need to make that Ed Reed type jump

**** we're ****ed.... no game breakers.... duke is alright, but we need some **** game breakers or we're going to have to run a **** spread offense...

Advertisement
At RB, the only game breaker on that list is Duke Johnson.
At WR, Dorsett is a game breaker. I also like Jones and Lewis from the incoming class.
At DE, Chikillo has the potential to get there.
At LB, you have Perryman who played almost lights out for a true FR

I think we've had a solid class the last two years... Nothing elite, but much better than we should have expected. No one is happy due to the stars after the name... At this point, let's see if they can get coached up. That's what teams like VT do all the time and that's why they are usually in the ACCCG.

The sooner the roster is turned over the better. From an outsiders point of view there is something direly wrong inside the locker room. I am not surprised by the number of defections. I actually believe the ringleader (JH12) is at the root of all this. I think he is still butt hurt over Shannon being fired. I actually wish we were bringing in more but in the long view I would rather the current staff correct the spacing and numbers now. Which means we are going to be thin for another year or two. Unfortunately for most, this reconstruction job will take longer than 3 years to fix. I do not know about the rest of you but I want it done right this time. Even if it means we suck for another year or so.

Advertisement
The sooner the roster is turned over the better. From an outsiders point of view there is something direly wrong inside the locker room. I am not surprised by the number of defections. I actually believe the ringleader (JH12) is at the root of all this. I think he is still butt hurt over Shannon being fired. I actually wish we were bringing in more but in the long view I would rather the current staff correct the spacing and numbers now. Which means we are going to be thin for another year or two. Unfortunately for most, this reconstruction job will take longer than 3 years to fix. I do not know about the rest of you but I want it done right this time. Even if it means we suck for another year or so.

I completely agree.

Thank god we have a committed coach who is competent. It will take some time, but I have the utmost faith it will get done right.

He's done okay recruiting wise. It's not at all what I expected, but IMO the Shapiro thing crushed us this year, and the results on the field with the suspensions hurt a lot also. So it's a much tougher rebuild than AG originally thought, I'm sure.

I might be wrong, but I still think he can recruit, as in 'change minds.' But he hasn't had a lot to sell right now. But what I really want to know, because it's all that matters in the long run, is can he evaluate. If he can, we'll do fine with the haul so far, because some of these kids will be better than expected, and a lot more will be roster contribtors. What killed Shannon and Coker, in part (lots of things killed them) was we had waaaay too many non-contribtors on the roster. Fishbein was pointing this out back in '04.

Good post.

Advertisement
If we could just get our sanctions (if any) handed down as quickly as possibly so we could move on. That has had a major effect on recruiting and our season. The sooner they get passed that, the better. Hopefully it's not so bad, I can see the next two recruiting classes being monsters.

It's kind of a 1.5 year haul to be honest, which is a testament to the staff. We had like 2 commitments when AG and Co. hit the road last December.

There is a nice base... we need a big 2014 haul to really finish turning over the roster. Not sure Williams will ever start here from what I understand. Will be interesting to see which freshman QB takes the lead to succeed Morris.

Thanks for putting that together. Interesting look.

The 1.5 years comemnt is meaningless and a ridiculous cover up. It's no different than Saban and other coaches like tressel who've actually came in later their first year and still brought in impact guys or atleast made the ness moves (like tressel* moving gamble from wr to db and playing him both ways) in the same time span and in some caes less.

Disagree. Most any HC that has done something Major at Majot bsc schools has added to the talent already at hand. Miami has talent. If Golden is worth anything he should be winning next year. He needs to bring in impact guys plain and simple. Time will tell. To early to judge his recruiting one way or another.

If you're the type of person who grades based on needs then you have to give Golden an F for DT recruiting at this point. He has one guy. Personally, I'll just sit back and see how things pan out.

Last edited:
Nites,

Did any of those HC's have an NCAA investigation pop up a week before their first season started, looming sanctions, suspensions, and uncertainty throughout the program, multiple NFL defections from underclassmen all in their first season?

Advertisement
Back