2 year class combo

TheSwagger1

Retired staff
Premium
I like to look at recruiting like this. In 2015 this will be the core of our team, minus the seniors that don't go pro early and freshmen.

Kaaya, Olsen, Rosier
Yearby, Edwards
Coley, Berrios, Langham, Brady
Dobard, Njoku, Herndon
McDermott, Darling, Odogwu, Gall, Linder, Knighton

Thomas, AQM, Jackson, Harris
Kamalu, Moten,
Jenkins, Wyche, Heurtelou,
Figueroa*, Grace, Owens, Young, McCray, Smith, Tucker
Burns, Elder, Mayes
Hester, Carter, Gayot

Your thoughts? For OL you can probably add the 2012 guys since that's the nature of OL.... add Isidora/Gadbois.

*Added, thanks to poster who reminded me.

Last edited:
Advertisement
The lack of RBs really sticks out. DTs obviously, but RBs is pathetic though I like both of the ones that were picked up.

Swag - here's my 2-year write-up I did a while ago and edited yesterday:

Two-year haul at each position - bump for NSD

Let's say for the sake of argument that nothing else happens with this class between now and signing day (we know it will, but for the purpose of this exercise just bear with me.)

I like to look at two-year spans to judge positions, so here's what I have, and my thoughts on each:

QB: Kaaya, Rosier, Olsen

My Thoughts - Instant depth and competition at this position. LOVE Kaaya, love(d) Olsen before all the drama, and Rosier is no slouch and gives us a dimension we've never really had here before. Get one big-time QB in 2015 and we're rolling.

RB: Yearby, Edwards

My Thoughts - Yearby is a stud. I always figured the Big 3 schools would each get one of the Big 3 RBs this year - Sony went to UGA, but the premise still holds. Edwards will be a good one after a year in the weight room and some coaching. That said, I would have liked one more "complete" RB in one of the last two classes, given the position's penchant for injury.

WR: Berrios, Langham, Brady, Coley

My Thoughts - Coley makes this a good two-year haul. We missed on some good WRs this year, but if there's one position I'm rarely worried about talent-wise in South Florida, it's WR. I don't think any of the guys we missed on this year are on Coley's level. Berrios has a chip on his shoulder and I think will be a good slot receiver here. Brady and Langham add some depth (as would Lenius if we add him,) and I expect us to go hard in 2015 at this position.

TE: Njoku, Herndon, Dobard, Sandland

My Thoughts - Sandland could be a good one if anybody would throw to him. Dobard has the frame to be a beast, and I like Herndon's toughness at the position. Njoku lessens the need to sign more than 1-2 TE next year - impressed with him as a pass-catcher and will be very good after a RS year, IMO.

OL: McDermott, Darling, Linder, Odogwu, Gall, Knighton

My Thoughts - KC might be our best pure OL recruit ever. Seriously. I see him starting at one of the tackle spots by mid-year this year and not looking back until draft day. We rounded out the 2-year OL class with a very balanced line - tackles, guards, and a center. I always want to take 3-4 OL every year if possible, and 2015 should be no different.

DE: Thomas, Jackson, Harris, Smith?, AQM

My Thoughts - Smith is a question mark only because he's a "tweener". He could play OLB but I put him here for now simply because whether his hand is up or down, he's going to rush the passer. AMAZING haul at DE - instant upgrade to by far our worst defensive position. Thomas and AQM are studs, Harris has a Olivier Vernon-esque first step, and Jackson's ceiling is through the roof. Love this position going forward.

DT: Moten, Heurtelou, Jenkins, Wyche, Kamalu

My Thoughts - Losing Valentine hurts (though the writing has been on that particular wall for a while, IMO.) *2/5 update - yeah, nothing new here for over a month.* That said, we desperately needed JUCO help and got it, and Moten is a very good developmental DT. I listed Kamalu here rather than DE because I believe he slides into Olsen Pierre's slot in the future at 3-tech.

LB: Owens, Young, McCray, Figueroa, Grace

My Thoughts - I LOVE Juwon Young's game. He and Figs bring some much-needed anger to this position. In Grace, we have someone who can cover a lot of ground in a hurry - Ramon Buchanon with better hips and a bigger frame, IMO. McCray and Owens will redshirt and provide depth going forward. Overall, I would have liked another pure LB in this class, and expect LB to be a major focus in 2015.

CB: Mayes, Burns, Elder

My Thoughts - With a plethora of young CBs already in the fold, this is a small 2-year grab. Burns will be a stud here before he's done. Elder has enormous upside and has played earlier than I thought he would. Like WR, this is another position that is typically stacked in South Florida, so I see no reason not to load up again in 2015 and 16.

S: Hester, Gayot, Carter

My Thoughts - Another major roster upgrade here (not hard, I know, given what we've had.) Hester is the centerfielder of the future - maybe the 2nd or 3rd most talented overall recruit in this class behind KC and Yearby. When Carter sees the field, I think we'll FINALLY be back to seeing safety play better suited to Miami (FL) than Miami (OH). I still expect us to take a safety or two in 2015.

K/P: O'Donnell, Semerene (PWO)

My Thoughts - What a pick-up O'Donnell turned out to be! Maybe the single-most important "waiver-wire" recruit, and that's saying something. K/P is hard to predict, recruiting-wise, since so often this position is filled with preferred walk-ons, graduated transfers like O'Donnell, etc. Speaking of walk-ons, Semerene may turn out to be the biggest coup in this year's class. BEAST of a kicker.

ATH: Gray, RL3

My Thoughts - Gray is an off-the-charts athletic freak, if he has the grades to get in. RL3 has no position until he can prove that he does, if you get my meaning.

Overall 2-Year Thoughts Are there holes in the haul? Yes. I'd like to see us go HARD after LB, RB, and CB next year. Were there misses on blue-chip recruits? Absolutely. Cook or Michel would have fixed our RB depth. Valentine is a major loss. Any one of the WRs we missed on would have helped tremendously.

However, there's really no denying this - on paper, Al Golden has completely changed the face of this roster via the 2013 and 2014 classes with major talent upgrades at every position. Regardless of your feelings on Golden's coaching acumen, defensive philosophies, etc. etc., I defy you to look at these two classes and not giggle a little inside.

In terms of how this haul translates to the field, I look for 2015 and 2016 (when the current recruits are sophomores and juniors) to be very special years.

As always, I welcome the board's thoughts!

Oh man! Sorry to steal your thunder buddy. I either didn't see this or I was in a hurry and didn't get to sink into it. Thank you for posting it back.

The lack of RBs really sticks out. DTs obviously, but RBs is pathetic though I like both of the ones that were picked up.

because you are comparing it to players we lost. if you look around the nation Yearby or Edwards have more talent then 70 to 80 schools and thats being generous.

Advertisement
with S. fL being stacked every year ...RB and WR needs to be better

DT looks weak too

I like the QB, OL, DE and S a lot

Not concerned with RB's as it's a position that freshmen can come in and contribute at almost immediately. Especially if they enroll early to get the protections down.

I wouldn't worry about RB for 2015, there's a chance Duke comes back and SFL is again loaded with RBs this year. We'll get at least one.

Oh man! Sorry to steal your thunder buddy. I either didn't see this or I was in a hurry and didn't get to sink into it. Thank you for posting it back.

lol no worries - I gots no thunder to steal! My bump yesterday got lost in a sea of simultaneous bashing and slurping... it was like a Saturday night at Jimbo's mom's house.

Advertisement
This is EXACTLY the right way to look at recruiting. Not just a one year haul, but big picture. What does your roster look like? Depth. Who will be Jrs and Srs together, etc.

Get some Qb play where WR have a chance, a running game and balance and Rbs will flock here...

As long as we can bring in 2 RBs next year, and everyone can stay healthy, If Gray makes it in, I think he probably goes to WR. With Coley and Gray lined up at WR, with Barrios in the slot, we are going to have a LETHAL air attack. Throw in a kid like Langham or Brady for the big red zone plays, and a moster like NJoku over the middle at TE... and Kaaya/Olsen/Rosier are going to have a feast on options to throw to.

My biggest thought after reading it is that I find myself going down each position thinking "not bad", but then at the end of all of them except for DE I find myself saying "man, we do need to hit that hard next year". That's worrisome. I like the kids we have, but we just seem to need more of the difference makers at every spot. At OL and DT and LB we just have to have some of those projects come through for us. Jenkins, the JUCOs, Moten, Odogwu/Gall.... those guys have to be players for us.

Advertisement
I'm in a similar position, swag - I want to look at each position and see at least one guy I could potentially hang my hat on going forward:

QB - Kaaya (or Olsen, but either way I'm excited)
RB - Yearby
WR - Coley
TE - ??
OL - McDermott
DE - Thomas
DT - Jenkins (really love what I've read)
LB - Young
CB - Burns
S - Hester

Then I ask myself "are these ELITE guys? Some are (Thomas, Coley, Kaaya), some are just "really good" (Young, Hester, etc.) Overall I'm excited though - way more so than the 2011/2012 classes.

Problem is projecting the 3 and 4 star type guys. Jon Vilma was a 3 star player. Dan Morgan was a 2/3 star skinny FB. There are a lot of kids that blow up and become elite, and you just dont know which ones will. You can say "well at LB we dont have any elite guys" and have the next Vilma sitting there. Conversey we can say we have an elite talent at OL in McDermott, and he can end up another Reggie Youngblood. You just never know.

Advertisement
Good read it seemed the top 3 rb's were going their diff ways this year ... Yearby cook sony..... Next year it would be nice to snag 2 of them depends on duke if he stays or leaves

Overall with no more sanctions to worry about i am very pleased and now is when golden starts getting heat from me for anything on field ... But like he said in the presser yesterday hes happy to have the pressure of having expectations because now he has the guys to play

Problem is projecting the 3 and 4 star type guys. Jon Vilma was a 3 star player. Dan Morgan was a 2/3 star skinny FB. There are a lot of kids that blow up and become elite, and you just dont know which ones will. You can say "well at LB we dont have any elite guys" and have the next Vilma sitting there. Conversey we can say we have an elite talent at OL in McDermott, and he can end up another Reggie Youngblood. You just never know.

This is very true. But if we were all this even-keeled, we'd have nothing to talk about. :p

Kidding aside, I think the "program-changing" talents are often spottable regardless of ranking/projection. (DT, OL, and to an extent QB are notable exceptions that require deeper study of work ethic, attitude, and other intangibles we message board folk just don't have access to...)

My biggest thought after reading it is that I find myself going down each position thinking "not bad", but then at the end of all of them except for DE I find myself saying "man, we do need to hit that hard next year". That's worrisome. I like the kids we have, but we just seem to need more of the difference makers at every spot. At OL and DT and LB we just have to have some of those projects come through for us. Jenkins, the JUCOs, Moten, Odogwu/Gall.... those guys have to be players for us.

Jimbo had a great description of this point in an interview yesterday. He said something along the lines of "scoreboard changers" vs. guys who move the chains. We have a couple of those - Duke and Stacey. Not sure who else fits that description.

Advertisement
Back