2 things in the game that happened...

Advertisement
Alabama has a NFL Head Coach as an OC. They beat Miami by 31, just won the NC by beating Ohio State by 28, beat Notre Dame by 17, Texas A&M by 28, UGA by 17 9 months ago.
They also have had other two former NFL head coaches on the staff FYI.

I too found it interesting that we got homered by a Big Ten officiating crew in a game against an SEC team. Ive seen NBA refs do this many a time. The "tell" is always that the team getting homered gets a handful of calls late in the game so the offiating numbers look like they favor the team that got homered.
c3c344bfc67ab5024a6ce8447daa98c7.jpg

There were a couple of blatant calls that went Bama’s way that did change momentum. But they could’ve went for 70 if they really wanted to. So yes it mattered, but at the same time it didn’t change the inevitable.
That’s not what Saban said, Bama got sloppy and we’re taking some lumps out there. QB was getting a lot of pressure so they altered the game plan to milk clock and get their guys out of there as healthy as possible.

They hung halfahundo plus on Ohio State in a championship game, they didn’t call off the dogs, they were showing chinks in the armor so they nipped it in the bud.

if Bama is so good, why do they need insurance from the refs anyway? This is bigger than just football.

Last edited:
Advertisement
That’s not what Saban said, Bama got sloppy and we’re taking some lumps out there. QB was getting a lot of pressure so they altered the game plan to milk clock and get their guys out of there as healthy as possible.

They hung halfahundo plus on Ohio State in a championship game, they didn’t call off the dogs, they were showing chinks in the armor so they nipped it in the bud.
Saban is also a perfectionist who is never gonna day his team played flawlessly, even if they did. You just proved my point by saying milk clock and get the game over with. They could’ve continued to get after it and scored as many as they wanted too. They decided it wasn’t worth it. If a couple of calls were different and it was a 2 score game in the third, they would’ve kept extending it out.

Hilarious how everyone thinks it's a good write up because it positive spins the entire game. Does that really make it 'good'?
What did he say that was incorrect? Has there not been enough coverage of the weaknesses, errors, and other assorted failures on these pages for your liking?

It's football, not life or death. This isn't "Other than that Mrs. Lincoln."

Saban is also a perfectionist who is never gonna day his team played flawlessly, even if they did. You just proved my point by saying milk clock and get the game over with. They could’ve continued to get after it and scored as many as they wanted too. They decided it wasn’t worth it. If a couple of calls were different and it was a 2 score game in the third, they would’ve kept extending it out.
Bama is clearly better than Miami in every aspect; I’m just pointing out that the refs have plagued us over the years a lot more than Bama. They do this in every meaningful game for UM, thus they shape the perception of our team.

Advertisement
Bama is clearly better than Miami in every aspect; I’m just pointing out that the refs have plagued us over the years a lot more than Bama. They do this in every meaningful game for UM, thus they shape the perception of our team.
That has nothing to do with the argument here and the refs didn’t cost Miami that game Saturday. It’s ok to say the refs blew some big calls and still acknowledge it made zero difference in the outcome. Bc that’s what happened.

during the game that I think would have changed the perception of the game.

-Miami punches that ball in on the 2 foot line. That makes the game 27-10, and it was consecutive drives our offense was moving the ball down the field. Miami gets the momentum.

Instead Bama scores on a few plays later and its 34-3. Then on Miami's next drive King throws to Redding, the CB is holding his jersey clear as day, and then TOTO hits Redding high in the head/neck area and launched at the WR. Clear targeting by rule. Miami would have moved to around mid field with those 2 penalties. The announcers both called out the 2 penalties watching the replay, but didn't raise a stink obviously because score was big at the time. Had that been in a tight game, the announcers would have made much more of a fuss about it.

INSTEAD of Miami having the ball at midfield and first down, Bama gets short field scores their last TD.

Miami puts together 2 more scoring drives after that.

Punch it in from the 2 foot line, and Refs make the clear right calls and this score is more like 37-20. The mood around here would have been MUCH DIFFERENT.

Miami is not on Alabama's level. Again Miami's best class in past 5 years would be Alabama's worst recruiting class.

Alabama has 12 ALL SEC players. Miami has 2 ALL ACC players.

Alabama has a NFL Head Coach as an OC. They beat Miami by 31, just won the NC by beating Ohio State by 28, beat Notre Dame by 17, Texas A&M by 28, UGA by 17 9 months ago.

Miami has got to figure out when they are outmatched like Clemson and Alabama games, to do the things that make them more competitive. Last year vs. Clemson the first 2 TD drives by Clemson shouldn't have happened. Roche was offsides on 4th down when Miami had a stop on 1st TD drive, then Amari targeting ON 3RD AND LONG kept the next TD drive going. This year punching the ball in from 2 foot out.

Few players I noticed re watching the game closely.

Deriq King started the game 18-19 passing. I feel like his accuracy has improved throwing the ball this year.

-- Manny Diaz said Miami got Alabama in 3rd and 5 plus FOURTEEN times, and Alabama converted 10 of those opportunities. I was telling my buddies watching the game we can't get off the filed on 3rd down.

King didn't look 100 healthy though. I think some nerves, some rust, and some overcoming mental of the knee injury.

-The WR's made catches Rambo, Harley, Smith will be an improvement. X man had a great TD catch, he did drop an open 14 yard pass though. It was our only drop.

-After re watching the tape, I feel better about this OL than I have in years after Justice took over at RT. He is strong and physical. RIVERS belonged at this level. Nelson was solid, although I thought Will Anderson gave him trouble in the run game. Got penetration. Navaughn is good when he is in a box. He is strong, he pancaked a guy one time, but if he has to move in any space, he can become a liability. Gaynor was fine. He will be better this year because Rivers and Donaldson are beside him.

-Flagg plays faster than his 40 time. He is more explosive shooting a gap than you think he is. Keontra has speed, is physical, and is a fearless player, he just needs to wrap better, and continue learning the position. He has been playing this position for about 7 months, and Flagg made his first career start and is just starting his 2nd year. I like the projection of that duo.

-Harvey is better against the run than you think. It was sorta weird to me sometimes we brought 5 and didn't get much pressure, and I thought a few times we rushed 3 and got some pressure. I thought all 4 DE's flashed at times with their pass rush.

-Amari CARTER is seemingly always around the ball, BUT he misses too many tackles. I think I counted 3 big missed tackles that would have greatly helped.

-Couch and Stevenson are the best secondary tacklers. They are physical.

-Also Gurvan Hall got slack because he had deep third on the long pass play TD, he got caught peeking at Metchie....BUT Hall played a good game. HE WAS a TACKLING machine, I thought I saw 2-3 open field big tackles on those big backs that would have gone for more yardage had he not played well.

Miami lost, we need to play better in big games. Clemson and UNC also lost. Long season, and I do think this team is better than last years team. They could still go anywhere between 7-5 and 10-2, depends on how hard and smart they play rest of the season.
This is spot on although I would add that Mallory running wide open most of the night and King not throwing to him was weird to say the least.

-Miami punches that ball in on the 2 foot line. That makes the game 27-10, and it was consecutive drives our offense was moving the ball down the field. Miami gets the momentum.

Instead Bama scores on a few plays later and its 34-3. Then on Miami's next drive King throws to Redding, the CB is holding his jersey clear as day, and then TOTO hits Redding high in the head/neck area and launched at the WR. Clear targeting by rule. Miami would have moved to around mid field with those 2 penalties. The announcers both called out the 2 penalties watching the replay, but didn't raise a stink obviously because score was big at the time. Had that been in a tight game, the announcers would have made much more of a fuss about it.

INSTEAD of Miami having the ball at midfield and first down, Bama gets short field scores their last TD.

Punch it in from the 2 foot line, and Refs make the clear right calls and this score is more like 37-20. The mood around here would have been MUCH DIFFERENT.

Miami is not on Alabama's level. Again Miami's best class in past 5 years would be Alabama's worst recruiting class.

Miami has got to figure out when they are outmatched like Clemson and Alabama games, to do the things that make them more competitive. Last year vs. Clemson the first 2 TD drives by Clemson shouldn't have happened. Roche was offsides on 4th down when Miami had a stop on 1st TD drive, then Amari targeting ON 3RD AND LONG kept the next TD drive going. This year punching the ball in from 2 foot out.

Deriq King started the game 18-19 passing. I feel like his accuracy has improved throwing the ball this year.

-- Manny Diaz said Miami got Alabama in 3rd and 5 plus FOURTEEN times, and Alabama converted 10 of those opportunities. I was telling my buddies watching the game we can't get off the filed on 3rd down.

King didn't look 100 healthy though. I think some nerves, some rust, and some overcoming mental of the knee injury.

-The WR's made catches Rambo, Harley, Smith will be an improvement. X man had a great TD catch, he did drop an open 14 yard pass though. It was our only drop.

-After re watching the tape, I feel better about this OL than I have in years after Justice took over at RT. He is strong and physical. RIVERS belonged at this level. Nelson was solid, although I thought Will Anderson gave him trouble in the run game. Got penetration. Navaughn is good when he is in a box. He is strong, he pancaked a guy one time, but if he has to move in any space, he can become a liability. Gaynor was fine. He will be better this year because Rivers and Donaldson are beside him.

-Flagg plays faster than his 40 time. He is more explosive shooting a gap than you think he is. Keontra has speed, is physical, and is a fearless player, he just needs to wrap better, and continue learning the position. He has been playing this position for about 7 months, and Flagg made his first career start and is just starting his 2nd year. I like the projection of that duo.

-Harvey is better against the run than you think. It was sorta weird to me sometimes we brought 5 and didn't get much pressure, and I thought a few times we rushed 3 and got some pressure. I thought all 4 DE's flashed at times with their pass rush.

-Amari CARTER is seemingly always around the ball, BUT he misses too many tackles. I think I counted 3 big missed tackles that would have greatly helped.

-Also Gurvan Hall got slack because he had deep third on the long pass play TD, he got caught peeking at Metchie....BUT Hall played a good game. HE WAS a TACKLING machine, I thought I saw 2-3 open field big tackles on those big backs that would have gone for more yardage had he not played well.

Miami lost, we need to play better in big games. Clemson and UNC also lost. Long season, and I do think this team is better than last years team. They could still go anywhere between 7-5 and 10-2, depends on how hard and smart they play rest of the season.
With Diaz as HC. Miami is nothing but a 9-3 team!! And if his players aren't totally " locked in" each and every game. That could easily be 8-4. But then again, maybe they will finish 10-2, but I just don't know. huh?

Advertisement
We looked like we had the talent to at least toy with covering the spread if bama plays hard the full game. If we can put guys in positions to succeed and utilize our strengths we would look a lot better and could be a really good top 12-20 team I think. All assuming we learn what tackling is of course

Good write up. On the Corey Flagg 40 time thing he’s never run a 40 healthy. When he ran 4.9 I was in attendance and his ankle was as big as my thigh it was swollen so bad but he wanted to run. He never ran another officially. He lost weight and is faster on his feet again

Advertisement
This has pretty much been the case since coach Saban has been here. Really, I don't have any issue with bringing in the reigns as a rule once we get up big, but if the coach sends out new guys or just stops dialing up the gameplan and then complains about our guys getting a little sloppy that is probably having it too much your own way. But the attitude lets put 70 on them as some coaches tend to think these days is still just poor sportsmanship, unless, of course, the other team has 60.

This is insane. Lou and Ole Miss had 4 players tossed in the first half and multiple were nowhere near that bad.
It is troubling. And it’s irked me more than the artist formerly known as Orlando Cane being told Butch is washed up. 😎

Bama took the foot off the gas and that allowed us to look better in the second half. Our 2000s teams did that all the time. This was always gonna be a blow out where we got out classes.

Advertisement
Back