1K for Walton?

Advertisement
I don't think any of our RB's are elite so I don't hold them to elite standards. However, even the elite RB's disappear a couple times throughout a season.

Show me a RB with better numbers than Walton that's NOT playing behind a better O-line.

He's the 3rd ranked RB in the ACC in terms of rushing-yards-per-game while sharing carries with Yearby. Only RB's he's behind are Dalvin Cook (elite & plays behind a 5-star OL) and Matt Dayes (who carries the ball way more than him). He's 4th in the ACC in YPC among guys who have carried the ball over 100 times.

He's made some plays this year that none of our RB's could make on their best day. He may not be elite but some of his best runs this year have been elite plays. That run against FSU that got called back, the screen pass that was blown up against Virginia, the long run he had against Pitt, etc.

I don't think any of our RB's are elite so I don't hold them to elite standards. However, even the elite RB's disappear a couple times throughout a season.

Show me a RB with better numbers than Walton that's NOT playing behind a better O-line.

He's the 3rd ranked RB in the ACC in terms of rushing-yards-per-game while sharing carries with Yearby. Only RB's he's behind are Dalvin Cook (elite & plays behind a 5-star OL) and Matt Dayes (who carries the ball way more than him). He's 4th in the ACC in YPC among guys who have carried the ball over 100 times.

He's made some plays this year that none of our RB's could make on their best day. He may not be elite but some of his best runs this year have been elite plays. That run against FSU that got called back, the screen pass that was blown up against Virginia, the long run he had against Pitt, etc.

The problem is, even with his last 2 big games, his stats vs. the ACC are nothing special. Yes, all RB's don't look as good against stronger opponents, but they still look good. Walton has just looked bad against stronger opponents.

Yearby gained 1,000 yards last year and didn't even make 3rd team ACC. Barring 2 huge games to finish the season, I'd expect the same for Walton.

Walton will get 1,000 yards this year, but I feel the same about it as I do about Yearby's 1,000 last year - which is the fact that they're getting enough carries to get 1,000 yards is a big problem.

Of the Top 13 ACC RB's in ACC games - Walton is 8th in YPG and 10th in YPC

ACC Rushing.jpg

The problem is, even with his last 2 big games, his stats vs. the ACC are nothing special. Yes, all RB's don't look as good against stronger opponents, but they still look good. Walton has just looked bad against stronger opponents.

Yearby gained 1,000 yards last year and didn't even make 3rd team ACC. Barring 2 huge games to finish the season, I'd expect the same for Walton.

Walton will get 1,000 yards this year, but I feel the same about it as I do about Yearby's 1,000 last year - which is the fact that they're getting enough carries to get 1,000 yards is a big problem.

View attachment 40079

Yearby got 1K after all conference teams were announced I believe. He got it while also sharing time and in the bowl game to just squeak over at 1,002 yards. My question clearly asked does he get 1K in regular season

Advertisement
Mark ran harder this past week the i have ever seen him run. His effort on that 3rd down screen pass run was a thing of beauty.

View attachment 40079

Yearby got 1K after all conference teams were announced I believe. He got it while also sharing time and in the bowl game to just squeak over at 1,002 yards. My question clearly asked does he get 1K in regular season

Nope - he doesn't

View attachment 40079

So is it good or bad that we have 2 guys in the top 12?

As an aside, the OL looked especially wretched in those games where Walton sucked it. He needed to do better, but he certainly wasn't getting any help from the line.

View attachment 40079

I'm a big YPC guy.

I don't think it's fair to compare Walton's YPC to guys who have barely carried the ball all year. Generally the more you carry the ball the further your YPC drops. Can't compare a guy with 94 carries to a guy with 78 or 55.

Cook is cook. He's elite and plays behind an elite OL.
Conner was out-performed when he was on the same field as Walton.
Mills plays for GT. My grandma would have good rushing stats in that offense.
Dayes has a terrible YPC.
Mizzell was out-performed when he was on the same field as Walton.
Radcliffe plays beside Lamar Jackson. Defenses barely pay attention to him.

See where I'm going?
I don't think stats tell the whole story. Some of those guys have better in-conference numbers than Walton but I think most of us will agree that not all of them are better than him.

He out-performed Hood, Mizzell and Conner in head-to-head battles.

Last edited:
Advertisement

View attachment 40079

I'm a big YPC guy.

I don't think it's fair to compare Walton's YPC to guys who have barely carried the ball all year. Generally the more you carry the ball the further your YPC drops. Can't compare a guy with 94 carries to a guy with 78 or 55.

See where I'm going?
I don't think stats tell the whole story. Some of those guys have better in-conference numbers than Walton but I think most of us will agree that not all of them are better than him.

Not fair to compare YPC but you are talking about winning head-to-head battles? You sound ridiculous.

View attachment 40079

I'm a big YPC guy.

See where I'm going?

LOL at head to head battles between RBs and outperforming other RBs. Additional LOL at their being a significant impact in ypc between 94 and 78 carries spread over several games.

Do you have a cold? Were you loopy on sizzurp when you made that post? Past your normal bedtime?

You're way too bright to be making such dopey arguments, so I'm going to chalk it up to one of the above-listed reasons and move on.

View attachment 40079

I'm a big YPC guy.

See where I'm going?

I agree stats don't tell the whole story, but the stats give you a pretty good idea, and not all of your arguments makes sense:

Cook - different level
Gallman - You left him out, but more carries with a better ypc and 9 TD's to Walton's 3.
Conner - More carries than Walton with a better ypc. Has 8 TD's to Walton's 3.
Radcliffe - Averages 2.5 more in ypc. That's a HUGE difference. Saying defenses barley pay attention to Radcliffe is an exaggeration. With Coley, Richards & Njoku we've got plenty of weapons that open things up for Walton too.
Mills - Totally agree with you
Dayes - Has 120 carries to Walton's 94, so wouldn't be fair to compare ypc, right? And Dayes 4.18 ypc is terrible, but Walton's 4.67 ypc isn't? That guy really has no one else around him. Dayes has to carry their offense
Mizzell - More carries with better ypc, more receiving yards, more overall TD's

In regards to the Head to Head comparisons, wouldn't Yearby vs. Walton be a more fair comparison?

On 39 more carries, Walton only has 121 more yards, averages 1.1 less ypc, and has the same amount of TD's.

Yearby was better in 4 of the 6 ACC games Miami has played. Most ACC teams we've played probably don't think Walton is even the best RB on his own team.

Last edited:
Advertisement
FSU OL is elite? Nah, they suck this year passing or running. Cook has struggled this year by his standards and only through sheer will and talent is he doing his thing.

Walton would already have 1000 yards right now if he had any type of patience

or OL

Fair point.

I've been critical of Walton for missing plays that were ripe for the taking and set up to be big gainers that he missed. He's been better the last couple of weeks with making guys miss and breaking tackles. Everyone is talking about the great effort on the screen play, but i believe his best play was on 3rd and 5 in the third quarter. Still a one score game and he got 6 yards after breaking a tackle around the LOS. I think that drive lead to points on the board. Might have been one of his best plays all year.

Advertisement

View attachment 40079

I'm a big YPC guy.

See where I'm going?

Not fair to compare YPC but you are talking about winning head-to-head battles? You sound ridiculous.

How the fvck does that sound ridiculous? You can't cite RB's that are supposedly better than Walton but not talk about who looked better when they were on the same field together.

And WTF is with you f*ggots not being able to disagree with someone without getting your panties in a bunch?

"You sound ridiculous!"

You sound like a d!ck eater.

View attachment 40079

I'm a big YPC guy.

See where I'm going?

LOL at head to head battles between RBs and outperforming other RBs. Additional LOL at their being a significant impact in ypc between 94 and 78 carries spread over several games.

Do you have a cold? Were you loopy on sizzurp when you made that post? Past your normal bedtime?

You're way too bright to be making such dopey arguments, so I'm going to chalk it up to one of the above-listed reasons and move on.

No, d!ck, I'm simply engaging this dude in a conversation while playing devil's advocate.

How the **** are head-to-head games not relevant? (but conference numbers are)

View attachment 40079

I'm a big YPC guy.

See where I'm going?

I agree stats don't tell the whole story, but the stats give you a pretty good idea, and not all of your arguments makes sense:

Cook - different level
Gallman - You left him out, but more carries with a better ypc and 9 TD's to Walton's 3.
Conner - More carries than Walton with a better ypc. Has 8 TD's to Walton's 3.
Radcliffe - Averages 2.5 more in ypc. That's a HUGE difference. Saying defenses barley pay attention to Radcliffe is an exaggeration. With Coley, Richards & Njoku we've got plenty of weapons that open things up for Walton too.
Mills - Totally agree with you
Dayes - Has 120 carries to Walton's 94, so wouldn't be fair to compare ypc, right? And Dayes 4.18 ypc is terrible, but Walton's 4.67 ypc isn't? That guy really has no one else around him. Dayes has to carry their offense
Mizzell - More carries with better ypc, more receiving yards, more overall TD's

In regards to the Head to Head comparisons, wouldn't Yearby vs. Walton be a more fair comparison?

On 39 more carries, Walton only has 121 more yards, averages 1.1 less ypc, and has the same amount of TD's.

Yearby was better in 4 of the 6 ACC games Miami has played. Most ACC teams we've played probably don't think Walton is even the best RB on his own team.

You make very valid points.

Let me ask you this question.

After seeing Conner, Mizzell and Hood on the same field as Walton (and Walton putting up better numbers)...would you still rather have any of those 3 guys?

I've said it before, if Yearby had Walton's athletic ability, he'd be one of the top backs in the nation. Walton has shown really good burst and a surprising ability to break tackles but he often gets hit for no gain or a loss because he lacks the vision to find a hole. If the blocking is alright and there's a tiny hole right where the play is supposed to go, Walton does real damage. If he's forced to cut back or blocking isn't exactly the way it was drawn up to be, he gets stuffed. Yearby is smaller and slower but finds holes when there doesn't appear to be one at first. And despite being on the smaller side, still finds ways to get positive yardage, even when the blocking fails him.

Advertisement
Back