1999 Era Recruiting vs Today (Derailed Maason Smith thread)

Here’s what’s going on in this thread

019D20FB-2626-4E37-99C8-288D6CEC8A12.gif

Advertisement
Advertisement
Yeah no I agree .. I was pretty much comparing it to when Ed Reed stayed his senior year
Ed stayed his 5th yr to Win a NC....No other reason....Not like he got much better from 2000 too 01....A matter of fact...the 2000 Secondary was Ranked #1 in the NCAA.....Ed easily was 1st round material even in 2000...

Advertisement
Smith seems pretty grounded by his interviews so I don’t see him picking that dumpster fire LSU right now, or at least that would be surprising cause they are in really really bad shape.

He likely ends up at one of the next two big schools in Bama or UGA. We will finish in second like we do all the time in these scenarios.

Advertisement
bama has a guy on staff (not sure if he’s still there) from Amite. Over the years they’ve poached a few kids from there bc of this dude (he was responsible for landing devonta smith)

He's not. People forget that Smith was actually committed to uga where Petitto (the guy you are referencing) was serving as player personnel or something. Saban hired him, Smith decommitted and then signed with Bama. This story was revisited in the media after Smith's national championship winning catch against uga. People kinda overlooked it though because of the Hurts/Tua storyline.

Advertisement
U wanna beat OSU/Bama/Clemson and be a top 5 program annually? You recruit Blu chips and stack those classes to raise competition within your program.
I'm curious. How old are you or better yet how long have you been following us? Cause our history isn't made up of stacking blue chip kids or shuffling between them. It's the exact opposite. We stacked our chips by taking kids who were coachable and lived and died with football. We coached those mid level kids up to be monsters on a regular basis... That's our history brother. What you're describing is the formula at the blue blood factory programs and for them it works. I'm not saying you're wrong. I just know to get classes FULL of elite recruits isn't exa you practical here from a consistency standpoint simply because of all the extra factors that go into elite talent. By truly developing what you do have the gap narrows. The end goal is obviously getting the best results possible out of each kid.

I'm curious. How old are you or better yet how long have you been following us? Cause our history isn't made up of stacking blue chip kids or shuffling between them. It's the exact opposite. We stacked our chips by taking kids who were coachable and lived and died with football. We coached those mid level kids up to be monsters on a regular basis... That's our history brother. What you're describing is the formula at the blue blood factory programs and for them it works. I'm not saying you're wrong. I just know to get classes FULL of elite recruits isn't exa you practical here from a consistency standpoint simply because of all the extra factors that go into elite talent. By truly developing what you do have the gap narrows. The end goal is obviously getting the best results possible out of each kid.
Evaluations.

Which of our kids who become monsters wouldn't have been great had they gone elsewhere?

We don't need to sign other people's top 10 list. We do need to sign the right kids, well evaluated.

Advertisement
Back