1999 Era Recruiting vs Today (Derailed Maason Smith thread)

Advertisement
Was just about to say this. Chase Smith is going to take that Striker position to another planet. And Romeo and Gil got that Striker position on the map for Mannys scheme. But Chase is another animal.
Guys that are elite in the league especially at lb played all over the field in HS. Chase has that in common plus alot of natural gifts ....he may be the low key steal of the class. I think he's going to play above his star ranking

Advertisement
Would be one of the biggest Coup d'état ever if we snatched him.

However, it's just too tall of a task without OV's happening, I know he visted us last year but that was a long time ago & he's recently visited both Bama & UGA on his own, I just don't think we'll be able to win out over the money he's being offered.

5-star kids from Louisiana almost exclusively sign with LSU or Bama, in fact, over the last 5 years the only 2 highest rated Louisiana kids that didn't sign with either LSU or Bama was 2019 Center Sedrick Van Pran from New Orleans who signed with UGA & 2018 QB Justin Rogers from Bossier City who signed with TCU (but wound up transferring to UNLV), but neither one of them were 5-stars, they were both high 4-stars with a 97 rating. Even Travis Etienne in the 2017 class was just a 91 rated 4-star & that was more of a miss eval by LSU than anything & they already had Clyde Edwards-Helaire committed.

But the fact is, the overwhelming majority of elite 5-star talent from Louisiana goes to either LSU or Bama, even UGA signing him would be a shock.

He speaks glowingly about Miami which is a good thing, shows that our coaches have done a good job selling him on the scheme & the program, maybe we pull off a miracle, would love for him to pick us on ENSD (if he even decides then) but I just don't see it happening. $EC bound.

Advertisement
Would be one of the biggest Coup d'état ever if we snatched him.

However, it's just too tall of a task without OV's happening, I know he visted us last year but that was a long time ago & he's recently visited both Bama & UGA on his own, I just don't think we'll be able to win out over the money he's being offered.

5-star kids from Louisiana almost exclusively sign with LSU or Bama, in fact, over the last 5 years the only 2 highest rated Louisiana kids that didn't sign with either LSU or Bama was 2019 Center Sedrick Van Pran from New Orleans who signed with UGA & 2018 QB Justin Rogers from Bossier City who signed with TCU (but wound up transferring to UNLV), but neither one of them were 5-stars, they were both high 4-stars with a 97 rating. Even Travis Etienne in the 2017 class was just a 91 rated 4-star & that was more of a miss eval by LSU than anything & they already had Clyde Edwards-Helaire committed.

But the fact is, the overwhelming majority of elite 5-star talent from Louisiana goes to either LSU or Bama, even UGA signing him would be a shock.

He speaks glowingly about Miami which is a good thing, shows that our coaches have done a good job selling him on the scheme & the program, maybe we pull off a miracle, would love for him to pick us on ENSD (if he even decides then) but I just don't see it happening. $EC bound.

I'm looking forward to 2024 when President Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson can help push 5 star recruits to Miami.

I was raised on old school defense philosophies where you win from inside - out. Just imagine.

1 tech - Maason Smith
3 tech - Leonard Taylor
Mike - T2
Strong - james Williams
Free- Kam Kitchens

And thats 1 recruiting cycle !!!!
Flip flop kam and James though, my eval on kam is, he’s basically a more athletic version of Amari Carter. James is a taller longer version of bubba bolden

Why are you guys doing this to yourselves lol come on? It’s on thing to pull of James Williams and LT both SFL kids it’s another to pull the best player in Louisiana. LSU having a bad year be damned, he’s not leaving the SEC. Hope I’m wrong but feels like scheme fit and all that is just lip service

Advertisement
Didn't Kam have like 10 pics his junior year. The only similar thing between Amari and Kam is they're hard hitters but even then Kam seems more disciplined in his tackling.
Yes he did, that’s why I said I see similarities as kam is just more athletic and better in space

Kirby loss James Williams to us, so its hard to see him conceding Maason Smith but to think going 2-0 against Kirby in acquiring the best two players for their positions . Talk about something only Saban and Dabo can pull off.

Kirby is such a dumbass he said James Williams could be the next Sean Taylor if he went to UGA because somehow that makes logical sense

On UGA:
Smith certainly thinks Georgia would be a good fit.

“The style of defense they run would definitely get me prepared for the next level after college,” Smith said. “They run a 50/50 three-man and four-man front. It sounds all good to run just a four-man front but ultimately that’s not what they do in the league. Most teams run a three-man front so just getting prepared for the league I think they do a good job at that and that’s why I fit that scheme so well because I can be that athletic guy that can rush the passer if they need me too.”

On Miami:
“I really do fit the scheme well,” he said. “The have some big-name dudes on defense committed over there. I think that’s going to get stuff rolling over there. With Miami I talk to Coach (Todd) Stroud, Coach (Blake) Baker, Coach (Jake) Swalley and Coach (Manny) Diaz all the time. Coach Baker is from Louisiana and was a coach at Louisiana Tech for some time so he knows where I’m from and everything about me. It’s good to have someone there that knows stuff about you and where you’re from and they can relate to you because that’s a long way from home. Plus about them, their defensive scheme, they let their defensive front attack the quarterback and get after it and that’s my style of ball. The scheme over there fits me best out of any scheme and I like that about them.”

I will say this: if he DOESN'T sign with LSU, his mom and the rest of his family better have the house packed and be ready to drive to wherever the selected school is.... life in Louisiana will be very unpleasant It's happened to recruits in the past.
It’s not as hard as some think. Booster A offers mom or dad a job. Moving company is hired, 24 hours they gone. But i’ve heard similar stories about this and in other areas as well.

Advertisement
Kirby is such a dumbass he said James Williams could be the next Sean Taylor if he went to UGA because somehow that makes logical sense
“Oh I can be the next Sean Taylor? Well then I’ll go to the school Sean went to”

Dumbass Kirby. Imagine our coaches saying hey you can be the next roquan smith. How freaking dumb is that. Just shows that every school is jealous of and recognizes our ridiculous nfl talent we’ve put out

Guys that are elite in the league especially at lb played all over the field in HS. Chase has that in common plus alot of natural gifts ....he may be the low key steal of the class. I think he's going to play above his star ranking
i’m with you but what am I missing in terms of Chase Smith? He looks fast, explosive, long, makes plays at multiple positions, appears to be a great athlete. But doesn’t have the ranking to support that viewpoint. What are we seeing differently from the recruiting sites?

Flip flop kam and James though, my eval on kam is, he’s basically a more athletic version of Amari Carter. James is a taller longer version of bubba bolden
Nothing against your eval. I want JW in a rover role. From what ive seen from him this season he creates havoc.

I believe his talents wont be on full display playing center field. He can create a lot of turnovers playing the flats and roaming near the line.

Advertisement
Back