1999 Era Recruiting vs Today (Derailed Maason Smith thread)

Advertisement
Advertisement
I’m prepared to get hurt in this one.

Amen. I'm not sure why so many porsters who claim to be grown-a$$ men are so protective of their fragile feelings that they won't even watch video of a kid until he commits to The U.

Maason Smith had me at hello, and "Miami is the best fitting system for me".

Miami has won and lost recruiting battles before. I can handle it. We're still Miami, and we still have 5 national championships.

Amen. I'm not sure why so many porsters who claim to be grown-a$$ men are so protective of their fragile feelings that they won't even watch video of a kid until he commits to The U.

Maason Smith had me at hello, and "Miami is the best fitting system for me".

Miami has won and lost recruiting battles before. I can handle it. We're still Miami, and we still have 5 national championships.
If this kid would pick the Canes over the money being thrown at him I’d have more respect for him than most any recruit I’ve ever known.I don’t know this kids financial situation but no matter what it is and how good a system fits it’s hard to walk away from mid six figures for your family...

CC4B286E-5DCD-4115-8FEB-9D01298B5F51.jpeg

Manny not firing Baker until after we sign Maason Smith >>>> #4DChess

If this kid would pick the Canes over the money being thrown at him I’d have more respect for him than most any recruit I’ve ever known.I don’t know this kids financial situation but no matter what it is and how good a system fits it’s hard to walk away from mid six figures for your family...

I don't know about mid-six-figures (more like low-six-figures), but I digress.

I would hope that (eventually) these kids feel more secure in the money they can generate FOR THEMSELVES with the NIL deals than they do by taking illegal money from boosters (I know, I know, this sounds very noble, and what would I do if someone offered me six-figures to sign, etc.).

These are difficult monetary decisions to make. I realize this is a bit unrelated, but I recently watched an interview that Dan Rather did with Bret Michaels (the lead singer of Poison). Bret mentioned that when Poison was being offered various recording contracts, they INSISTED on retaining the rights to their music. Who knew that THOSE GUYS would be that smart when they were young and desperate to break through? Yet that recording deal has allowed Poison to retain most of their wealth, particularly considering that they only had 3 decent-selling albums (and a greatest hits package).

It will take time. Kids will have to learn that they are better off being the masters of their own destinies, and setting up their own compensation deals, rather than taking 30 pieces of silver from some scumbag booster.

Advertisement
I don't know about mid-six-figures (more like low-six-figures), but I digress.

I would hope that (eventually) these kids feel more secure in the money they can generate FOR THEMSELVES with the NIL deals than they do by taking illegal money from boosters (I know, I know, this sounds very noble, and what would I do if someone offered me six-figures to sign, etc.).

These are difficult monetary decisions to make. I realize this is a bit unrelated, but I recently watched an interview that Dan Rather did with Bret Michaels (the lead singer of Poison). Bret mentioned that when Poison was being offered various recording contracts, they INSISTED on retaining the rights to their music. Who knew that THOSE GUYS would be that smart when they were young and desperate to break through? Yet that recording deal has allowed Poison to retain most of their wealth, particularly considering that they only had 3 decent-selling albums (and a greatest hits package).

It will take time. Kids will have to learn that they are better off being the masters of their own destinies, and setting up their own compensation deals, rather than taking 30 pieces of silver from some scumbag booster.
We keep saying this but yet every year we hear of kids taking these large deals...

Advertisement
Like I told TimeBomb I am only aware of LSU and Bama and if there are others it’s gonna be expensive.It’s hard to compete with the money these schools are throwing around.
He's made two under the radar "paid his own way" trips to UGA this fall. Haven't heard about him going anywhere else but who knows. Probably picking up some pocket change on those trips... Maybe he'll be another James Williams...

Advertisement
He's made two under the radar "paid his own way" trips to UGA this fall. Haven't heard about him going anywhere else but who knows. Probably picking up some pocket change on those trips... Maybe he'll be another James Williams...
Kirby loss James Williams to us, so its hard to see him conceding Maason Smith but to think going 2-0 against Kirby in acquiring the best two players for their positions . Talk about something only Saban and Dabo can pull off.

Listen really close here.
The odds of Miami landing 2 of the top 3 defensive tackles in the country is impossible.
I never throw that term around cause I hate living in absolutes. As a father of 2 I have literally gotten upset and yelled at my kids for saying that freaking word.
If Manny pulls this off it would be of epic proportions.
If mfers were scared when Freeze pulled those dudes at ole **** then Emmett is gonna have his phone ringing by every blue blood AD in the country if that sht happens.
If we got T2 and Smith then Diaz is a savage....he would just need to make defensive coaching changes.

Advertisement
Back