1999 Era Recruiting vs Today (Derailed Maason Smith thread)

Smith has always been intrigued by Miami.

I really do fit the scheme well,” he said. “The have some big-name dudes on defense committed over there. I think that’s going to get stuff rolling over there. With Miami I talk to Coach (Todd) Stroud, Coach (Blake) Baker, Coach (Jake) Swalley and Coach (Manny) Diaz all the time. Coach Baker is from Louisiana and was a coach at Louisiana Tech for some time so he knows where I’m from and everything about me. It’s good to have someone there that knows stuff about you and where you’re from and they can relate to you because that’s a long way from home. Plus about them, their defensive scheme, they let their defensive front attack the quarterback and get after it and that’s my style of ball. The scheme over there fits me best out of any scheme and I like that about them.”
I would be extremely surprised if we land him

Advertisement
****..so this kid is going to make a decision in the next 2 weeks? So he basically already knows where he is going then. Not buying that he has no idea where he wants to go hype. Shocked he isnt taking these next 2 months to see if he can OV anywhere before making a decision. He has until Feb. So he already knows where he wants to go basically and is just playing the game.

This could bode well for us actually. Based on his comments..if i had to bet..I think he has a top 2 and its between us and UGA.

Bama and LSU are on the outside looking in.

Advertisement
****..so this kid is going to make a decision in the next 2 weeks? So he basically already knows where he is going then. Not buying that he has no idea where he wants to go hype. Shocked he isnt taking these next 2 months to see if he can OV anywhere before making a decision. He has until Feb. So he already knows where he wants to go basically and is just playing the game.

This could bode well for us actually. Based on his comments..if i had to bet..I think he has a top 2 and its between us and UGA.

Bama and LSU are on the outside looking in.

The dead period has been extended. There ARE NO Official Visits.

Advertisement
I never stated or said it would be a major factor ...assumptions 👀 if you look at my comment...👀 I just brought up the topic ......it will hurt their recruiting🚒
It won't do anything to their recruiting.

The only thing(s) that would hurt their recruiting are:
1) actual sanctions; 2) Imminent sanctions.

Neither exist.

I haven't seen this here, but I can't imagine Hundley decommitting/getting dropped from LSU was a coincidence and unrelated.
My thoughts exactly. Saw that and figured the two things correlated. LSU probably gets him as he’s the top in state guy and they typically don’t lose out on those guys unless it’s to Bama.

I hope the short term bag is worth it, because this kid belongs in an attacking even front as a 3 technique. All of his top schools are odd front defenses. UGA especially makes less than 0 sense schematically. LSU can't stop a cold under Bo so far. Bama and the bags is probably the move sense we all know he's not really coming here

It won't do anything to their recruiting.

The only thing(s) that would hurt their recruiting are:
1) actual sanctions; 2) Imminent sanctions.

Neither exist.
I disagree it does exist ( it’s public record ).....They are still in court in the legal process in time , This will hurt their recruiting/program
8B6EBFD2-EDAE-47CD-A2A3-EEA110B58392.jpeg

Last edited:
Advertisement
On UGA:
Smith certainly thinks Georgia would be a good fit.

“The style of defense they run would definitely get me prepared for the next level after college,” Smith said. “They run a 50/50 three-man and four-man front. It sounds all good to run just a four-man front but ultimately that’s not what they do in the league. Most teams run a three-man front so just getting prepared for the league I think they do a good job at that and that’s why I fit that scheme so well because I can be that athletic guy that can rush the passer if they need me too.”

On Miami:
“I really do fit the scheme well,” he said. “The have some big-name dudes on defense committed over there. I think that’s going to get stuff rolling over there. With Miami I talk to Coach (Todd) Stroud, Coach (Blake) Baker, Coach (Jake) Swalley and Coach (Manny) Diaz all the time. Coach Baker is from Louisiana and was a coach at Louisiana Tech for some time so he knows where I’m from and everything about me. It’s good to have someone there that knows stuff about you and where you’re from and they can relate to you because that’s a long way from home. Plus about them, their defensive scheme, they let their defensive front attack the quarterback and get after it and that’s my style of ball. The scheme over there fits me best out of any scheme and I like that about them.”

I will say this: if he DOESN'T sign with LSU, his mom and the rest of his family better have the house packed and be ready to drive to wherever the selected school is.... life in Louisiana will be very unpleasant It's happened to recruits in the past.

Advertisement
On UGA:
Smith certainly thinks Georgia would be a good fit.

“The style of defense they run would definitely get me prepared for the next level after college,” Smith said. “They run a 50/50 three-man and four-man front. It sounds all good to run just a four-man front but ultimately that’s not what they do in the league. Most teams run a three-man front so just getting prepared for the league I think they do a good job at that and that’s why I fit that scheme so well because I can be that athletic guy that can rush the passer if they need me too.”

On Miami:
“I really do fit the scheme well,” he said. “The have some big-name dudes on defense committed over there. I think that’s going to get stuff rolling over there. With Miami I talk to Coach (Todd) Stroud, Coach (Blake) Baker, Coach (Jake) Swalley and Coach (Manny) Diaz all the time. Coach Baker is from Louisiana and was a coach at Louisiana Tech for some time so he knows where I’m from and everything about me. It’s good to have someone there that knows stuff about you and where you’re from and they can relate to you because that’s a long way from home. Plus about them, their defensive scheme, they let their defensive front attack the quarterback and get after it and that’s my style of ball. The scheme over there fits me best out of any scheme and I like that about them.”

I will say this: if he DOESN'T sign with LSU, his mom and the rest of his family better have the house packed and be ready to drive to wherever the selected school is.... life in Louisiana will be very unpleasant It's happened to recruits in the past.
Word was they wanted out of La , that’s why we were heavily involved. That was months ago though lol.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back