1999 Era Recruiting vs Today (Derailed Maason Smith thread)

Advertisement
Advertisement
LSU hasn't let the #1 player in the state leave in forever. Even when they weren't good under Miles.

LSU hasn't let the #1 player in the state leave in forever. Even when they weren't good under Miles.

Ehh
Landon Collins was the #1 player in the state his year. Dylan Moses played at IMG his Sr year, but was rated higher than any LA player. Cameron Robinson was up there too but dont remember if him or Fournette was #1 in the state that year. But yeah, point taken...it really happen and when it does, they go to Tuscalossa.

Listen really close here.
The odds of Miami landing 2 of the top 3 defensive tackles in the country is impossible.
I never throw that term around cause I hate living in absolutes. As a father of 2 I have literally gotten upset and yelled at my kids for saying that freaking word.
If Manny pulls this off it would be of epic proportions.
If mfers were scared when Freeze pulled those dudes at ole **** then Emmett is gonna have his phone ringing by every blue blood AD in the country if that sht happens.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Smith has always been intrigued by Miami.

I really do fit the scheme well,” he said. “The have some big-name dudes on defense committed over there. I think that’s going to get stuff rolling over there. With Miami I talk to Coach (Todd) Stroud, Coach (Blake) Baker, Coach (Jake) Swalley and Coach (Manny) Diaz all the time. Coach Baker is from Louisiana and was a coach at Louisiana Tech for some time so he knows where I’m from and everything about me. It’s good to have someone there that knows stuff about you and where you’re from and they can relate to you because that’s a long way from home. Plus about them, their defensive scheme, they let their defensive front attack the quarterback and get after it and that’s my style of ball. The scheme over there fits me best out of any scheme and I like that about them.”

I really do fit the scheme well,” he said. “The have some big-name dudes on defense committed over there. I think that’s going to get stuff rolling over there. With Miami I talk to Coach (Todd) Stroud, Coach (Blake) Baker, Coach (Jake) Swalley and Coach (Manny) Diaz all the time. Coach Baker is from Louisiana and was a coach at Louisiana Tech for some time so he knows where I’m from and everything about me. It’s good to have someone there that knows stuff about you and where you’re from and they can relate to you because that’s a long way from home. Plus about them, their defensive scheme, they let their defensive front attack the quarterback and get after it and that’s my style of ball. The scheme over there fits me best out of any scheme and I like that about them.”
Which translated, all seems to mean, ‘I have every logical reason to pick Miami, but I have 100k other reasons to pick LSU, Bama or most other SEC schools’. It’s pretty sad but we aren’t naive.

Advertisement

Saying all the right things but it's not happening unless he truly buys into playing with Taylor & Williams.

Summary of Gaby's 247 article about him? Seems like he is making a decision soon.

It was Wiltfong's article.

-- He said it's going to come down to the last day, but he intends to sign on ESD
-- He's down to Bama, UGA, LSU and Miami
-- Been to Baton Rouge a ton, feels the same way now about LSU as he always has. Bad season not impacting his decision
-- Visited Athens at the end of November. Likes that the odd front they run could prepare him for the league
-- Bama is an NFL factory
-- Miami's scheme fits him the best out of all his top schools

It was Wiltfong's article.

-- He said it's going to come down to the last day, but he intends to sign on ESD
-- He's down to Bama, UGA, LSU and Miami
-- Been to Baton Rouge a ton, feels the same way now about LSU as he always has. Bad season not impacting his decision
-- Visited Athens at the end of November. Likes that the odd front they run could prepare him for the league
-- Bama is an NFL factory
-- Miami's scheme fits him the best out of all his top schools
If I said school A fits me the best but school B is cool too I would definitely go to School A so him saying Miami's scheme fits him the best leads me to believe we are out front

Advertisement
Back