1999 Era Recruiting vs Today (Derailed Maason Smith thread)

I am sure Flowe will be a good player. I watched a bit of the Oregon game looking for him and then... Holy Christo, who the **** is that man child savage beast linebacker? The ‘other’ kid on that D looks the part. Jeezus.
Ha same here man! Sewell seemed to be all over when I flipped to that game.

Advertisement
Advertisement
don't look now but Kirby dusted off JTDaniels right after the UF loss and it looks like he's the new starter at QB... whatever was keeping him off the field resolved itself overnight after UF... if Daniels doesn't perform the way the fan base expects, it's really going to get ugly..

it sure seems like the booster pockets are bottomless there... they are desperate to win. Between LSU and UGA boosters, Smith will be able to name his price....

don't look now but Kirby dusted off JTDaniels right after the UF loss and it looks like he's the new starter at QB... whatever was keeping him off the field resolved itself overnight after UF... if Daniels doesn't perform the way the fan base expects, it's really going to get ugly..

it sure seems like the booster pockets are bottomless there... they are desperate to win. Between LSU and UGA boosters, Smith will be able to name his price....
Well lucky for Daniel’s he can’t be much worse than bennet

Not saying I disagree, however I do think Harrioson-Hunte is/will be a good 3 tech. He looks quick as cat and he's 6'4 285. It is yet to bet determined whether is strong enough though
I think he looks like he has potential. I've said since high school he looks like he got the right work ethic. I still need to see more development though. Especially against teams like these he should be sharpening the knife against.

Advertisement
I would even narrow down and say great DT play >> all other positions.

AU: I feel differently. I see so many teams with quick drops and quick passes that seem to minimize DT play to some extent. Several years ago, I'd agree with you. But I see, for example, OSU and Clemson with up-tempo, pass-happy offense designed to get the ball out fast that mitigate interior play. Those teams have excellent backs but even if you stop that element of their offense, the short passing game can compensate for a stifled run game. I can't say there is one position that is more important than the rest, but I believe that LBs that can cover and a deep group of corners/safeties is more important than ever in today's game.

I would even narrow down and say great DT play >> all other positions.
I always point to the 89' Canes D and the 2003/4 USC D. Both had elite DT's and this made everyone around them a level better than they were. Strong DT play is a cure all. Now, we definitely need to do something different with our CB situation, but having 2 5* DT's would set up our D for massive success and a level we haven't played at on the DL since 2003.

We will always have premier edge guys with Manny in charge. We need to get stronger up the middle, especially with our lackluster LB play. This would probably be the biggest coupe in UM history considering the talent and where the kid is from. Again though, I just can’t see it. Getting the kid back down to Miami on his own dime for a game would be a start.

Advertisement
We will always have premier edge guys with Manny in charge. We need to get stronger up the middle, especially with our lackluster LB play. This would probably be the biggest coupe in UM history considering the talent and where the kid is from. Again though, I just can’t see it. Getting the kid back down to Miami on his own dime for a game would be a start.
We are clearly old school....this is what I always say...lol

Yes, CB is a big problem right now and shouldn't be, but when UM was strong up the middle at DT and LB, the glaring gains we are seeing did not happen. We always had solid edge guys.

Advertisement
AU: I feel differently. I see so many teams with quick drops and quick passes that seem to minimize DT play to some extent. Several years ago, I'd agree with you. But I see, for example, OSU and Clemson with up-tempo, pass-happy offense designed to get the ball out fast that mitigate interior play. Those teams have excellent backs but even if you stop that element of their offense, the short passing game can compensate for a stifled run game. I can't say there is one position that is more important than the rest, but I believe that LBs that can cover and a deep group of corners/safeties is more important than ever in today's game.

You make a good point and it forced me to rethink my position. :)

But, after thinking about your point, I still maintain that a DT disruptor is jsut as valuable now as it was a few years ago. Quick drops usually like to take advantage of the middle of the field. Having a DT consistently disrupt a pocket up the middle affects ANY offense. Also, no matter how quick the passing plays are, the teams eventually have to be adept at running the ball - you need a strong interior.

Let me clarify. I don’t think we have the resources to overcome this one. LT (who didn’t want money) and JWill are from Miami.. this kid does have interest in being a cane..but.. deep pockets elsewhere bro. But we in the game
nicolas cage hair GIF

Advertisement
Back