1999 Era Recruiting vs Today (Derailed Maason Smith thread)

This dude must really be intrigued by us for him to still put us in his top 5 after that crappy showing last Saturday. (I know people will point to LSU but they are the defending champs and UF has been better than us the last two years so not apples to apples).

Stay in it as long as you can. Doesnt hurt. What are you going to tell him, "Hey we know you arent SERIOUSLY considering us so please stop mentioning us and please take us out of your top 5. Thanks and Godspeed!"
****, he probably saw immediate playing time during that “crappy showing”.

Advertisement
I like the 2021 class as well but we haven't proven **** about being "2nd best" in the ACC.

I'll also say that UNC's recruiting class is excellent for '21, so we while we are recruiting at a top 3 level in the conference, it is highly debatable whether it is better than #3 (although I personally believe it is the #2 class in the league).

What makes you say UNC is out recruiting Miami for 2021? There is almost no separation yet between the #3 team and #15 in terms of 4 and 5 stars. Miami currently has 2 5 stars, both UNC and Clemson have 1. T2 looks like he would flip if offered, that would make 3. That's coming of a 6 win season and our 2 5 stars are solidly committed. So if Smith did come (unlikely, I know) that would be 4 5 stars to UNC's one.

What makes you say UNC is out recruiting Miami for 2021? There is almost no separation yet between the #3 team and #15 in terms of 4 and 5 stars. Miami currently has 2 5 stars, both UNC and Clemson have 1. T2 looks like he would flip if offered, that would make 3. That's coming of a 6 win season and our 2 5 stars are solidly committed. So if Smith did come (unlikely, I know) that would be 4 5 stars to UNC's one.
Please identify where I said that.

Edit: I don't want to sound like I'm starting a fight. I don't believe UNC's class is better, but I can see how reasonable people can debate it.

Please identify where I said that.

'll also say that UNC's recruiting class is excellent for '21, so we while we are recruiting at a top 3 level in the conference, it is highly debatable whether it is better than #3 (although I personally believe it is the #2 class in the league).

Let me clarify - you said it's debatable whether Miami is #2 or #3 in recruiting. What would make someone say UNC was out recruiting Miami (I assume that the 3 teams in the running are Clemson, Miami, UNC)

That's only part of what I was trying to say. My point is the certain positions are more important than others. I point out QB and DT specifically. That where Clemson focused early on. It's where JJ did in the 80's. It's where we should now. As much as changed in the game, the one thing that remains the same is that QB and DT are the most important positions for the offense and defense.

You get elite talent there, others will follow.
Understood!

Advertisement
Let me clarify - you said it's debatable whether Miami is #2 or #3 in recruiting. What would make someone say UNC was out recruiting Miami (I assume that the 3 teams in the running are Clemson, Miami, UNC)
1) They've gotten an insane percentage of the top guys in North Carolina;
2) Their class is varied by position and clearly addresses needs and depth;
3) Miami's class fails to address CB;
4) Miami's class doesn't have a QB;
5) Miami's class provides some depth at LB but not the top-end quality.

Those would be the arguments.

6) Although UNC's 2021 class is exactly 1 spot behind UM's on 247 (despite having 5 fewer commits), it has an average rating about 1.5 points above UM's.

1. I don't know much about HS football in NC. I don't think it measures up to FL Football. It's like Kentucky probably gets the top recruits in Kentucky, but I don't think that means much.
2. Wouldn't that be the case with most programs? Everyone is trying to address needs and depth. Other than CB, Miami is filling needs.
3. I think Garcia ultimately ends up in the class, so we will have a top shelf QB.
4. Can't argue about CB. Weak as usual. I expect Rumph to be let go at the end of the season, so hopefully next guy can reel in a couple elite CBs.
5. T2 is as elite as it gets. He just needs the offer.

Full disclosure, a big reason I don't respect UNC is that I think Mack Brown is one of the most underachieving coaches in the last 30 years. Dude had unlimited money, bags, and resources at Texas yet produced just one title (when he had one of the all time great college QBs was on the roster). I would have been ****ed if Miami had hired Brown after Richt retired.

Mack Brown did get to a second title game with Colt McCoy vs Alabama. McCoy was injured in the 1st quarter and replaced by a true FR.

Also in 2008 they finished 12-1 with the famous Michael Crabtree upset. There was the whole controversy over the BCS rankings... Texas beat OU 45-35 on a neutral site but OU got the nod and went on to lose to Florida in national title.

Advertisement
I wish we had the money to afford this kid...

His top 2 as of now are LSU & UGA, but both of their DL's are *** this year & they wouldn't use him right IMO.

He would fit perfectly in our scheme & could definitely play as a TF just based off his size, quickness & natural strength, Coach Stroud would turn this kid into a monster.

It's unfair how the SEC just gets to hoard all these uber talented kids, he'd be a Superstar at Miami...
Sigh.

His top 2 as of now are LSU & UGA, but both of their DL's are *** this year & they wouldn't use him right IMO.

He would fit perfectly in our scheme & could definitely play as a TF just based off his size, quickness & natural strength, Coach Stroud would turn this kid into a monster.

It's unfair how the SEC just gets to hoard all these uber talented kids, he'd be a Superstar at Miami...
Sigh.

I don't have a 247 or rivals account, but I saw a headline saying that Taylor was recruiting another 5 star DT to play next to him. Couldn't see who it was though, I assume Smith.

I don't have a 247 or rivals account, but I saw a headline saying that Taylor was recruiting another 5 star DT to play next to him. Couldn't see who it was though, I assume Smith.
It was.

If visits were allowed we might have a better chance than expected, because this kid absolutely loves South Beach lol, he raves about it every time he's asked about Miami, it's like the first thing that comes out of his mouth lol.

Maybe we can convince him to come on his "own dime" & have one of our recruits organize a big get together for the 21 class like Oklahoma, Auburn, UGA & LSU have all done already...

It's a pipe dream, but shìt man, if we mess around & keep having a good season we gotta capitalize off it somehow.

Advertisement

Sigh.
I saw an interview from a few days ago talking about his top 5, he himself mentioned that Miami was the best scheme fit and the way he was talking he seems to know it ain’t close. Hoping this kid sees the light

It was.

If visits were allowed we might have a better chance than expected, because this kid absolutely loves South Beach lol, he raves about it every time he's asked about Miami, it's like the first thing that comes out of his mouth lol.

Maybe we can convince him to come on his "own dime" & have one of our recruits organize a big get together for the 21 class like Oklahoma, Auburn, UGA & LSU have all done already...

It's a pipe dream, but shìt man, if we mess around & keep having a good season we gotta capitalize off it somehow.
Crazy how we’re all more optimistic about this kid committing to us than T2...meanwhile T2 lives here.

Crazy how we’re all more optimistic about this kid committing to us than T2...meanwhile T2 lives here.

T2's pops said he'd commit if offered. It's a question of whether Diaz will offer or not. I'm not optimistic about that.

Advertisement
Were eventually going to have to lucky and land guys like this to have a shot against Clemson. Diaz better not **** around, and make sure he he gets T2 *** here. Taylor,Smith, and Davis is championship caliber D line.

It was.

I've been hoping for the "get together" too. James Williams would be the ideal guy to "organize" it, maybe with Taylor helping. Time is starting to run out now, though. Isn't he a December signee and EE?

Sigh.
I’ll start a go fund me

Advertisement
Back