1999 Era Recruiting vs Today (Derailed Maason Smith thread)

Advertisement
This dude must really be intrigued by us for him to still put us in his top 5 after that crappy showing last Saturday. (I know people will point to LSU but they are the defending champs and UF has been better than us the last two years so not apples to apples).

Stay in it as long as you can. Doesnt hurt. What are you going to tell him, "Hey we know you arent SERIOUSLY considering us so please stop mentioning us and please take us out of your top 5. Thanks and Godspeed!"

This dude must really be intrigued by us for him to still put us in his top 5 after that crappy showing last Saturday. (I know people will point to LSU but they are the defending champs and UF has been better than us the last two years so not apples to apples).

Stay in it as long as you can. Doesnt hurt. What are you going to tell him, "Hey we know you arent SERIOUSLY considering us so please stop mentioning us and please take us out of your top 5. Thanks and Godspeed!"

Well there is also the fact that UF will never in a zillion years sniff the SEC title, and probably won't even get to the SEC title game.. Miami hasn't quite closed the gap with Clemson, but I think it's pretty clear to most that Miami is the 2nd best team in the ACC and we should be playing them every year in ACC Championship. Look at it this way. Miami has two 5 stars already committed. The dad of a 5 star LB said his son would commit if offered by Miami. So that would be 3 5 stars. And then add Smith. 4 5 stars in one class. Do that again in the 2022 class and suddenly you have almost as many 5 stars as Clemson on the roster. Actually tied at 11 if you want to count Pope as a 5 star, and 1 behind Bama. We could close the talent gap with the elites with just one more class after this.

Advertisement
F
Well there is also the fact that UF will never in a zillion years sniff the SEC title, and probably won't even get to the SEC title game.. Miami hasn't quite closed the gap with Clemson, but I think it's pretty clear to most that Miami is the 2nd best team in the ACC and we should be playing them every year in ACC Championship. Look at it this way. Miami has two 5 stars already committed. The dad of a 5 star LB said his son would commit if offered by Miami. So that would be 3 5 stars. And then add Smith. 4 5 stars in one class. Do that again in the 2022 class and suddenly you have almost as many 5 stars as Clemson on the roster. Actually tied at 11 if you want to count Pope as a 5 star, and 1 behind Bama. We could close the talent gap with the elites with just one more class after this.
We need to hit on some of those 5 stars. Bruce, Lingard, and Pope ain’t gonna do it. Anyway, I’ll be rooting for Nesta and Hunte to have 4 sacks between them tmrw!!! A true 5 star DT is EXACTLY what we need. 2 of them in the same class would be monumental.

You're saying that as if Clemson will stop getting 5 stars.... We're not catching up in that aspect anytime soon.

You're saying that as if Clemson will stop getting 5 stars.... We're not catching up in that aspect anytime soon.

Clemson had:

2016: 4
2017: 6
2018: 9
2019: 7
2020: 11

Teams are constantly losing 5 stars to the draft and having to restock. It doesn't go 10, 15, 20, 25, 30, 35. Clemson and Bama are going to lose a bunch in this upcoming draft to offset the gains.

Alabama:
2016: 17
2017: 18
2018: 12
2019: 11
2020: 12

If Miami stacks two classes together like I described, then it is right in line with where the elite are.

Advertisement
Clemson had:

2016: 4
2017: 6
2018: 9
2019: 7
2020: 11

Teams are constantly losing 5 stars to the draft and having to restock. It doesn't go 10, 15, 20, 25, 30, 35. Clemson and Bama are going to lose a bunch in this upcoming draft to offset the gains.

Alabama:
2016: 17
2017: 18
2018: 12
2019: 11
2020: 12

If Miami stacks two classes together like I described, then it is right in line with where the elite are.
Well, I hope you're right.

Are we watching the same games? What have you seen that makes you think that we are the 2nd best team in the ACC? UAB or FSU? It's not clear to me at all. Bro we were dominated by Clemson that let Virginia move up and down the field. They scored 23 on that same Clemson D that we couldn't move the ball on with half their **** roster out due to covid. North Carolina lost to Clemson by one point last year with a Freshman QB. BTW didn't we lose to UNC last year? I hope I'm wrong but you are giving us too much credit when truthfully we haven't done nothing!

Are we watching the same games? What have you seen that makes you think that we are the 2nd best team in the ACC? UAB or FSU? It's not clear to me at all. Bro we were dominated by Clemson that let Virginia move up and down the field. They scored 23 on that same Clemson D that we couldn't move the ball on with half their **** roster out due to covid. North Carolina lost to Clemson by one point last year with a Freshman QB. BTW didn't we lose to UNC last year? I hope I'm wrong but you are giving us too much credit when truthfully we haven't done nothing!
Never understood this logic. Football is a game of matchups. Some teams just matchup better against teams than others. I highly doubt anyone thinks Syracuse is on par with Clemson in terms of talent and yet they seem to play them really well year in and year out. Judging another teams success against an opponent is such a bad way to judge where your team stands.

Advertisement
[/QUOTE)
I Don't necessarily agree with the op! But, ksoze8 every game is different jus becuz virginia gave them 23 points and we only put up 17, does that make virginia better then us? We scored more on unc then clemson did last year does that make us better then clemson?

He really likes Stroud (and his history) along with our defensive line style of attacking. Guarantee you Taylor is in his ear. Can you imagine LT and this guy lined up next to each other?? Holy ***. Those two in the middle opens up our defense to be dangerously good!

Yeah I agree. It's more about the coaching with us. We don't need as many 5 stars.
That's only part of what I was trying to say. My point is that certain positions are more important than others. I point out QB and DT specifically. That where Clemson focused early on. It's where JJ did in the 80's. It's where we should now. As much as changed in the game, the one thing that remains the same is that QB and DT are the most important positions for the offense and defense.

You get elite talent there, others will follow.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Never understood this logic. Football is a game of matchups. Some teams just matchup better against teams than others. I highly doubt anyone thinks Syracuse is on par with Clemson in terms of talent and yet they seem to play them really well year in and year out. Judging another teams success against an opponent is such a bad way to judge where your team stands.
Not to mention they aren't going to treat every game the same. #1 vs #7 prime time is a lot different than a bs UVA game.

Our having played once in 20 years makes it that obvious

I like the 2021 class as well but we haven't proven **** about being "2nd best" in the ACC.

I'll also say that UNC's recruiting class is excellent for '21, so we while we are recruiting at a top 3 level in the conference, it is highly debatable whether it is better than #3 (although I personally believe it is the #2 class in the league).

Or you could look at Clemson's game against UVA as being rusty and half assing it. They played a terrible Wake team on Sept 12, then the Citadel, then had a bye week, then UVA on 3 Oct. That's more than 3 weeks without any meaningful football. Players get lazy. I'm sure Venables tore his guys a new a-hole after the UVA performance and they were much more locked in for Miami.

Not sure what UNC playing Clemson close last year has to do with anything. Clemson beat them by 1, UNC beat a horrible Miami team by 1. Clemson played bad, undisciplined ball in that UNC game. 6 penalties including 5 false starts, and Dabo had to waste timeouts because of alignment and personnel issues.

You guys can continue to have wet dreams about Mack Brown. Personally, I don't think much of UNC and think Miami will work them over.

Advertisement
Back