1999 Era Recruiting vs Today (Derailed Maason Smith thread)

Advertisement
Would have included him as well but i remember there was an article saying he was moved to outside

He was, then moved back - but i can see why he was moved outside. He looked lean out there and was moved around by the Clemson OL.

Unless he can maintain a heavier weight, SDE might be the place for him. He would add something in the run game that we sorely need.

We pick him up the talent coming in at DT for 2021 is huge! Him and LT are what we need to be more dominate in the middle against top schools like Clemson
I always remember two teams when I think of how having 2 dominate DT's at the same time, can drag everyone around them up another notch or two and bring the entire unit to an elite level: Miami 89' and USC 2004/5. Both teams had a good amount of talent in different places, but went from very good to elite on account of having 2 elite DT's in the middle, wrecking the OL.

We could be headed there with the guys we already have committed and the upperclassmen who are already with us, but if we pull in this kid, we really could be anchoring the next 3 years with elite Clemson/BAMA/OSU-like defenses.

Last edited:
Advertisement
You think we are better at CB than DT? Funny.
look at how Clemson did it. The past few years they’ve had multiple dline guys go early in the draft. The closest defensive player to the qb is the DT and they easily have At least 2 first round picks on that line right now as well.
So while we may Be thin at dB I’d rather stack elite tackles.
Smith and Taylor added to the line we have now will solve a lot of the problems we’ve been having for a long time. And would arguably be one of the best in the country.
Give me dudes that can disrupt the LOS before a db that doesn’t seem to willing to play for this team. At least smith is showing love and hasn’t committed anywhere or trolled us.

look at how Clemson did it. The past few years they’ve had multiple dline guys go early in the draft. The closest defensive player to the qb is the DT and they easily have At least 2 first round picks on that line right now as well.
So while we may Be thin at dB I’d rather stack elite tackles.
Smith and Taylor added to the line we have now will solve a lot of the problems we’ve been having for a long time. And would arguably be one of the best in the country.
Give me dudes that can disrupt the LOS before a db that doesn’t seem to willing to play for this team. At least smith is showing love and hasn’t committed anywhere or trolled us.

Look, it's not that I'm arguing. I'd love to stack chips too.

We have 2 ICs left. MAYBE 3.

We have 3 DTs committed in Taylor, Collins, and Haye. Now, if Collins flakes, we can have a conversation.

We have ONE CB committed in Burns.

I understand your rationale, but come on. We have 3 DTs and we would take a FOURTH over a SECOND CB?

We have 3 DTs committed in Taylor, Collins, and Haye. Now, if Collins flakes, we can have a conversation.

I understand your rationale, but come on. We have 3 DTs and we would take a FOURTH over a SECOND CB?
If that’s the case you drop someone. If this kid wants in you get rid of someone. Get rid of manny for all I care. This kids elite. Ready to go prospect. Stack chips don’t take kids just to fill a roster spot. That’s what the portals for. And the NCAA is gonna pass a one time transfer waiver so the portal will be even more active

Advertisement

For that level of talent, yes. And the other IC has to be for T2. You don't leave a 5 star LB out of the class if he wants in. We'd probably end up with a 3* project CB anyways. I expect Rumph to be gone at the end of the season and we'll have much better recruiting at CB going forward.

For that level of talent, yes. And the other IC has to be for T2. You don't leave a 5 star LB out of the class if he wants in. We'd probably end up with a 3* project CB anyways. I expect Rumph to be gone at the end of the season and we'll have much better recruiting at CB going forward.

Again, I would point out that approach would result in 0 QBs and 1 CB signed for 2021. And no ICs left to address those spots in the Portal.

I'd love to have Smith, I'd love to have T2. But we certainly can't rationalize overloading at 2 other positions with "we'd only get a 3-star CB anyways".

It's nothing personal, I've just seen us under-recruit certain positions and over-recruit others too many times.

If Smith wants in, Collins probably has to go. If T2 wants in, someone else needs to go.

If we only have 2 ICs, we need a blue-chip QB and a blue-chip CB.

Yeah I’m dropping any 3stars i need to drop for Maason Smith if he wants to commit to Miami.

Advertisement
Yeah I’m dropping any 3stars i need to drop for Maason Smith if he wants to commit to Miami.
This staff may make some foolish personnel mistakes, but there is ZERO chance we don't take a 5 star DT, because "we're full." Literally no way. If they did that, which they never would, that would be a huge piece of the argument to fire them. They're not perfect, but no way they do that.

Advertisement
If that’s the case you drop someone. If this kid wants in you get rid of someone. Get rid of manny for all I care. This kids elite. Ready to go prospect. Stack chips don’t take kids just to fill a roster spot. That’s what the portals for. And the NCAA is gonna pass a one time transfer waiver so the portal will be even more active
I agree if we can land this dude he will make every ****** cb look great because this dude gets to the qb real fast. Hes a straight up beast.

Advertisement
Back