1997 Miami Hurricanes

I also remember Ryan Clement was never really appreciated, wasn’t as talented as Scott Covington but dude put his heart and soul in every play and got the 💩 kicked out of him
I was very close to Ryan...as well as Scott....my former Wife and Scott's Mom hit it off immediately...

Advertisement
Hindsight is a wonderful thing. No banners ever flew... Butch would have been skewered on this board and social media if it existed at the time.

He ended up being one of the greats here, but lets stop rewriting the story and that everyone knew he would turn it around before he did
There was NEVER any doubt in Butch's mind that he'd turn it around....none whatsoever....
Not even the slightest...

I didn’t start following football until 1996 so I didn’t really know the game by game results of the 1993 season, other than that we went 9-3 and it was considered a disappointment.

Anyway, Beamer went 9-3 in 1993 and 8-4 in 1994, so I think he was off the hot seat by 1995. I assumed you were getting the 1993 and 1995 seasons mixed up because it’s pretty well known that Beamer was on the hot seat in 1993, and most of the Va Tech fanbase had wanted him fired after 1992.
You didn't start following FB until 96??....Lol...for someone with such a brief History in regards to UM FB...and/or FB in general...you sure come across as some Know-it all Prick.....

No...Dorsey wasnt even at UM in 97....team did NOT have alot of talent in 97....by the end of 98 is when we finally started to get alittle depth and breathe a sigh of relief sanction wise...
dude edgerin james James Jackson Reggie Wayne Dan Morgan I THINK THATS TALENT moreover who was the quarterback if it wasn’t Dorsey then ? butch underachieved as a coach with those guys

dude edgerin james James Jackson Reggie Wayne Dan Morgan I THINK THATS TALENT moreover who was the quarterback if it wasn’t Dorsey then ? butch underachieved as a coach with those guys
I need no lessons on those players, since I spent alot of time with them from 97-2000..
Nobody on this site (except @dsddcane)spent more time at UM (Hecht and Greentree) than I did during those days...Stop with your stupidity...

Advertisement
The QBs were (Starter) Ryan Clement...Covington...and Steve Kelly...(not Kenny Kelly who came in 98)....

Just keep in mind with the opinions you get here, buzz and reality are 2 different things. Dude was basically coaching under the death penalty and people wanted him fired.
its true. to be perfectly honest i just recall butch seeming out of sorts (fumbling with his headset against VA Tech at home is an image i will never forget) or lost a lot on the sidelines. i couldn't get over that at the time.

Last edited:
I was 11 at the time, I remember...but I didn't know the game much. I just remember we were bad that year and we lost to FSU 47-0

YO OLD HEADS!!!

I am a bit on the young side and its rather difficult to research online so I figured I would turn to you all. What was the buzz like around the 97 team that went 5-6? How was Butch viewed and what was the climate like with the media and among the fan base?
same as now glad social media then wasn't like it is today.but the staff caught heck.banners were flying,coaches families had a hard time when they were seen in public.coaches were heckled every time someone recognized them in public.for the coaches and their families it was a nightmare.

Advertisement
I remember Ferman had the below magazine out and in the publication it had an article discussing what needs to happen for a title season. I was 17 at the time hook line sinker, I was all bought in. But looking at the roster it was straight trash.

Our first game @Baylor I’m pretty sure that’s the day Princess Diana died.

All our good players where freshman, I remember Santana, Reggie, Bubba Franks, Edge and James Jackson being the only guys that would make plays but all super young.View attachment 109771View attachment 109772View attachment 109772
She died the day after. I had just flown back from London 2 weeks earlier. The hand over of Hong Kong to China had been plastered all over the news a month earlier. I couldn't imagine what it was like when she died. To say they focus on one thing is an understatement.

They opened the 98 season as 6 pt underdogs to Ohio State. I knew they were going to win outright. Future was definitely bright.

Advertisement
YO OLD HEADS!!!

I am a bit on the young side and its rather difficult to research online so I figured I would turn to you all. What was the buzz like around the 97 team that went 5-6? How was Butch viewed and what was the climate like with the media and among the fan base?
We were NOT happy. Erickson sucked at recruiting so after he ran out of JJ/Butch recruits we started losing. Then he left and nobody wanted the job(maybe they knew something about the hammer coming down) Butch took it but we did not realize that our new HC was the god of recruiting. The ncaa tried to kill us with brutal sholli losses. Butch has the answer, recruit only 1st round NFL draft picks but we did know that until 2000, some got hint by the marked increase in talent in the underclassmen. 97 was bad but forgotten in couple years once we began terrorizing everyone again.

I don't think Bobby slept on Miami. That 2000 game when we finally broke through for the win was a tight game and one of the greatest games in the rivalry.
Oh he did when we were on probation. He got VERY complacent. I'll never forget watching that interview before the 1999 season where he said he hardly had to coach anymore, because he had the fastest horses. He knew he had the most talented team, because Miami was down. It totally effected how he coached. Again, those were his words. He did not expect Miami to bounce back so quickly, and when we did he had no answer for it. If not for Coker letting things fall apart, he'd have never beaten Miami again.

Butch's recruiting prowess is overrated by some on here, FSU was kickin' our *** on the recruiting trail. Butch only had 1 class that was considered to be elite, the 01' class...and technically that was Coker's class.

Advertisement
Butch's recruiting prowess is overrated by some on here, FSU was kickin' our *** on the recruiting trail. Butch only had 1 class that was considered to be elite, the 01' class...and technically that was Coker's class.
he wasn't a great recruiter, he was a great evaluator. just tried to google if there are any lists out there from that era. found a little article and this blurb. dorsey was the number 24 QB. you never see a guy that low playing for us these days except for rosier.

And to prove that some players get better and better when they hit the college ranks, Miami star quarterback Ken Dorsey was ranked as a three-star player and the No. 24 player in the country.

Last edited:
its true. to be perfectly honest i just recall butch seeming out of sorts (fumbling with his headset against VA Tech at home is an image i will never forget) or lost a lot on the sidelines. i couldn't get over that at the time.
Fumble with a Headset...and 3yrs later...
13220960_1229821450361264_2351333540229910272_n.jpg

Well if you're having "a hard time imagining" its simply because you must've just started watching UM football ball, cause if you watched the early games when butch got here, you would know! It was a reason why coach davis did it that way, if you watched the games and understood UM football, you'd know the answer to why!

You really seem like a weird troll.

Running the ball up the middle 3 times and then punting when you’re down by multiple scores in the 4th is the opposite of teaching toughness.

It’s basically teaching the team to give up and stop trying to win when they’re facing adversity.

Seriously, it’s about half a step away from telling your team to leave the field and forfeit the game when they’re down by 10 or 14 in the 4th.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back