1979 CANES-Penn State

Advertisement
Along with the 1978 upset of ranked Auburn and Florida under Lou Saban (who recruited Jim Kelly), this huge win was the leading edge of the turnaround that culminated in the national title in January of 1984 (83 season). The 1979 team with Kelly - starting for the first time in this game - was the first time U fans got to see Howards vision for a pro style passing attack after years of suffering through terrible option offenses.

Last edited:
Advertisement
This is Jerome today:

C34E3B14-58C1-4522-AC6C-3A4C7A5304D9.jpeg

Advertisement
Kehoe and Don Bailey Jr. on the O Line, baby!!

You can see how Schnelly's pro-set passing offense was way more advanced than what college football was used to at that time.

Some great memories:
-Larry Brodsky, one of my all-time fave Canes wide receivers
-Jim Burt - first in a long line of elite Canes D tackles. Started on two 49ers super bowl teams and I believe won one with the NY Giants.
-Danny Miller - stud kicker.

That '79 team finished 5-6 but played a strong schedule including @ (national champion) Alabama.

Screen Shot 2019-01-12 at 10.04.56 PM.png

My first year of 'Canefandom; you could see and even sense this was a team unlike any other in college football...And moving on to bigger and bigger things.

The crazy thing that year was a the proposal to drop the []_[] on the helmet and replace it with some multiple arrow-looking abomination (I delivered the Herald back then and IIRC a sample drawing of the logo was in a story). Howard helped put an end to that stupidity.

My first year of 'Canefandom; you could see and even sense this was a team unlike any other in college football...And moving on to bigger and bigger things.

The crazy thing that year was a the proposal to drop the []_[] on the helmet and replace it with some multiple arrow-looking abomination (I delivered the Herald back then and IIRC a sample drawing of the logo was in a story). Howard helped put an end to that stupidity.

You have the perfect screen name for this thread. :11263364213-e8bdef3df9-o:

I believe that was Don Bailey's first start at UM.
I remember it well because I was wondering how he was going to block Matt Millen
and Bruce Clark, who were stud dlmen for PSU. LOL.
I wasn't at this game, but I was at the home opener vs Louisville.
We had free tickets to game via Burger King, who gave it to Hialeah Optimist (I was coaching
my lil brother's team).
We sat in the north stands, upper level over the Louisville bench.
Louisville wasn't that good of a program, but had some players that later played in the NFL like
Joe Jacoby, Mark Clayton, Otis Wilson, Frank Minnifield and their QB was Stu Stram, whose dad
Hank coached at UM and later led the Chiefs to 2 Super Bowls.

Advertisement
Amazing game. Jaw dropping game. Speechless game. My dad and I were stunned that the Canes actually had a quarterback who was placing passes into the perfect spot, and with combination of touch and arm strength. The '70s had been abysmal in terms of quarterbacking.

One of the Canes books like Cane Mutiny made some preposterous claim that Miami was a 40 or 50 point underdog in that game. I forget the exact number they used but it was beyond laughable. I was posting on Canesport a decade or so ago and some genius challenged me when I insisted that the number was closer to 20 or 21. He said a book like Cane Mutiny would not make a mistake like that. I contacted The Gold Sheet and the managing editor looked it up for me in their historical records. The spread was Penn State -19.5. Poptimus might remember that, because he was posting on the same board at the time.

Advertisement
I was referring to Kenneth’s uncle Jerome.

He was a youth at the time.

:)
Yes. I can attest to the fact Kenneth's uncle Jerome was, as a youth, at that game.

One of my Old testament prophets was able to look back at the historical archives. Since it did not involve a forward-looking prophecy, there was not a problem of delay.

Kehoe and Don Bailey Jr. on the O Line, baby!!

You can see how Schnelly's pro-set passing offense was way more advanced than what college football was used to at that time.

Some great memories:
-Larry Brodsky, one of my all-time fave Canes wide receivers
-Jim Burt - first in a long line of elite Canes D tackles. Started on two 49ers super bowl teams and I believe won one with the NY Giants.
-Danny Miller - stud kicker.

That '79 team finished 5-6 but played a strong schedule including @ (national champion) Alabama.

View attachment 76102
I remember seeing the Mirage Bowl replay on the Notre Dame replay network that broadcast ND games on Sunday mornings.

Advertisement
Back