15 Players you are most looking forward to seeing this year.

FrancisSawyer

All American
Premium
For whatever reason. They could be a true freshman, a transfer, or a returning starter.

In no particular order.

1. Tyler Van Dyke. How does he look in the new offense? Does he take it to the next level?

2. Don Chaney. He's finally healthy and Im looking forward to see if he is back to his pre injury form

3. Jaylin Knighton. Can't wait to see how Gattis uses him.

4. Elijah Arroyo. He should explode in his 2nd year especially in this offense.

5. Jacolby George. So much potential. Can he thrive in the new offense?

6. Darrell Jackson. Will be a huge key for the entire defense.

7. Mitchell Agude. Will he be the pass rushing DE we need?

8. James Williams. I want to see him take the next step and start to make game changing plays. How will Steele use him?

9. Avantae Williams. I want to see him take that next step and start to consistenly make plays.

10. Kamren Kinchens. The lynchpin of the secondary.

11. Leonard Taylor. Want to see growth and significant improvement.

12. Chase Smith. Explosive natural football player that our LB corps desperately needs.

13. Brashard Smith. Speedy and explosive jack of all trades should be right a home in this system.

14. Tecoury Couch. Will be a key player in the secondary. Has his mojo back after rough 2021.

15. Romello Brinson. Will have every opportunity.

Advertisement
A lot of mine are offensive linemen since that’s Mario and Mirabals specialty:

1. Rivers-can he become an all ACC lineman here or even more? He has the talent.

2. Scaife- was our offensive mvp several years ago before the ill advised move to center. Can the m&ms get the best out of him?

3. Leonard Taylor-guy is the most talented relative to their position on the entire roster. A legitimate high 1st round draft pick if he actually develops.

4. Zion Nelson-Can he be solidified as a top 5 OT in the country here now?

5. Restrepo-our wrs are mainly unproven but have a lot talent. Can he be a leader in our wr corps and take the next step?

6. TVD- Michael Rappaport was revelatory in yet another depressing season. Best qb since Dorsey already. Best pro prospect based on physical talent since Vinny (even better arm than Stephen Morris). Gattis was gifted with a 1st rounder in terms of actual potential. No excuses.

7. Mesidor- I just think he’s going to wreck some of the OL up.

8. J. Harvey- another guy with a lot of talent who’s now surrounded by great dl coaches. It’s time to flirt with all ACC.

9. James Williams- freak who should be a 1st rounder in 2 years. Addae was also gifted with a mega talent who should become something special.

10. Couch-guy was a really good CB coming out of Hs but mysteriously fell off and was labeled a disappointment. It’s time he recovers that potential.

11. Hedley- because he looks like he got out of prison and he’s the best punter in the country

12. Sapopalu- freak weight room guy. Would be amazing to have a pile driving monster in the interior to help get those 3rd/4th and shorts

13. Harrison-Hunte-another tremendously talented dt who has potential to be a high draft pick

14.Steed- I want to see this graybeard start and make all ACC after all the injuries he’s had. Would be an amazing late career story.

15.Mallory- was a tough pick versus Arroyo and Skinner but can he finally put it all together at least as a pass catching tight end and become All ACC

Advertisement
TVD- a budding star & possible top 10 pick. We go as far as he takes us.
Arroyo- my vote for offensive breakout candidate
LT- can he go from flashing to consistency ?
James Williams- freak athlete, ready to see fundamentals get cleaned up.
Darrell Jackson- possible game changer and a steal from Maryland
Chase Smith- explosive athlete who has offers a ton of versatility
Zion- can he prove to the doubters he's a 1st or 2nd rd pick with a great year ?
Rivers- highest upside of the entire unit, expect him to be good.
Rique- the leader of the corner group
Avantae- if he stays focused can easily be our best safety
Chaney- please stay healthy so we can see what he can do in a full season
Frierson- excited to see how Steele utilizes him
Blades- he's had a Rollercoaster experience here, rooting for him to put together a strong final year
George- my vote for receiver to make biggest impact
Citizen- X factor at rb. If he improves as a pass blocking back he'll see the field and if so he has the talent to be rb1 as a true freshman

I'm hyped to see all of them. I have a few top of mind questions:

1. How will TVD perform under Gattis. He looks insanely good in the limited camp footage I've seen.

2. Is John Campbell finally going to live up to (multiple) coaches hype? That would go a very long way to making our starting OL respectable, as I think Nelson and Rivers are NFL players, and Sagapolou, Clark and Scaife are serviceable.

3. Can Mallory and Arroyo be one of the best TE tandems in the nation? Will looked clean in his routes and ball skills in the limited camp footage I've seen.

4. Was I right or wrong about Chase Smith? I thought he was the best defensive recruit from the 2022 class (yes, better than JW and LT).

5. Is Jackson as special as I think he is? I see him dominating by the end of the year.

6. Where does Al Blades have a role? And for that matter Gil Frierson?

Advertisement
This might be scorching hot, but I actually want to see guys like Ivey and Flagg early on. Let’s not sugarcoat it - they’re probably going to at least play a little bit; I’m curious to see if the staff can extrapolate every bit of talent and turn them into serviceable depth.

Yes, there’s absolutely a ceiling on the two (and other recruits from the previous regimes), but hey, maybe they become decent second-unit guys.

And to clarify, in no way shape or form am I advocating for them to start or take minutes away from young guys lol; just curious to see them get proper coaching and in a solid defense is all.

Will Mallory & Tyrique Stevenson. I think they’re our best shot at first rounders outside of TVD & Zion.

Advertisement
No mention of Tae? He’d be in my top 5. Guys like Lou, Will, and Zion …. We kind of know what we’re getting.

Id go with Tae, JWill and LT and N Kelly on D based on potential.

Restrepo on O.

For whatever reason. They could be a true freshman, a transfer, or a returning starter.

In no particular order.

1. Tyler Van Dyke. How does he look in the new offense? Does he take it to the next level?

2. Don Chaney. He's finally healthy and Im looking forward to see if he is back to his pre injury form

3. Jaylin Knighton. Can't wait to see how Gattis uses him.

4. Elijah Arroyo. He should explode in his 2nd year especially in this offense.

5. Jacolby George. So much potential. Can he thrive in the new offense?

6. Darrell Jackson. Will be a huge key for the entire defense.

7. Mitchell Agude. Will he be the pass rushing DE we need?

8. James Williams. I want to see him take the next step and start to make game changing plays. How will Steele use him?

9. Avantae Williams. I want to see him take that next step and start to consistenly make plays.

10. Kamren Kinchens. The lynchpin of the secondary.

11. Leonard Taylor. Want to see growth and significant improvement.

12. Chase Smith. Explosive natural football player that our LB corps desperately needs.

13. Brashard Smith. Speedy and explosive jack of all trades should be right a home in this system.

14. Tecoury Couch. Will be a key player in the secondary. Has his mojo back after rough 2021.

15. Romello Brinson. Will have every opportunity.
I like your list although I think Mallory finally puts it all together and that has me excited.

Don’t think I can pick players. However, I’d love to see who this coaching staff fields game day, with their coaching stamp on it. I’m more inclined to want to see how this system works out, as opposed to the ones past two decades.

Advertisement
I just want to see how the RB rotation is handled and who steps up.
The first two games we will see everyone get touches I imagine. The game in College Station, Texas will tell us who they really trust.

The same applies to the defensive second level/LBs/Striker/Star/(whatever you want to call it) rotation.

We have a bunch of guys to choose from and it may be a fluid thing until somebody steps up and earns trust.

Last edited:
Guys I hope turn the corner
Mallory
Blades and Ivey

Any WR other than X
The entire LB room

Guys I expect
Blades
Harvey
Franklin
Couch
Smith and smith