15 - 17, best finish was tied for 3rd in the Coastal twice..

Advertisement
proxy.php

I see one coach there, the other may be a corch.

Hey, JJ was a good coach too! Not the recruiter Butch is but a good coach. I mean he choke in two NC games with a frigging Heisman QB and let ND steal another one from us, but he eventually became a good coach. Sure he dump our asses for the NFL but hey $$ is $$. We shouldn't hold that against him.

I can only say that when Butch was here that I always had the sense that we had to have 7+ points better talent than the other team to win or else we'd lose.

"Yes, UNC is different than Miami, but he got talent there as all the Butch people are proud to point out with the NFL first rounders and overall draftees. So where were all the results? People justifiably hammer Golden for his lack of results last year with the NFL talent on the team, why does Butch get a pass? Suspensions, then don't bring up the Maryland game, we had suspensions there so we'll excuse that going forward."

The difference? Let's see, first we are not hiring him to frigging coach at UNC again. Second, at Miami 29 1st round picks and left a NC team with two undefeated seasons sitting on the table. Greatest coach ever, maybe not. Greatest frigging recruiter in history, absolutely! 31 lost ships, 9 lost ships. Actually beat someone; never beat anyone. Beat the crap out of UF in Bowl game under their god Steve the Ball Coach and beat hims so bad they BOTH got NFL HC jobs that year. Is Al paying you to post this crap?

Advertisement
Ok and Jimmy Johnson won a National Title and 2 Superbowls......should we hire him? If not, why?

If Jimmy Johnson wanted the job and wanted to win, then **** yeah we should, However, Jimmy wants to fish and drink ****tails on his boat. Butch Davis wants to coach and win a national championship. Different story.

hahahaha and this is what everyone should be aware of. That people actually think it would be a good idea to bring JJ back. lmfao I can't help some of you people I really can't.

so who would you like to see us hire?

Let's see off the top of my head:

Chip Kelly (yes, he will be fired at season's end), Tom Herman, Chuck Pagano, Justin Fuente, Hue Jackson. In that order.

We have 4 million to play with. No reason why we can't offer and reel in one of them.

Let's see here.

1. Butch Davis has won more games than any of the coaches you mentioned.
2. Butch Davis led an NFL team to the playoffs. In fact the one time they went to the play offs in 25 years was under him. None of the coaches you mentioned have done that.
3. Chip Kelley will laugh at Miami's face IF, and that is a big IF, he decides to coach college again.
4. Herman and Fuente are coaches at small time programs. "I don't want to hear people use caveats like "at a non football powerhouse" They've won some games ho hum, and lost a ton of them as well. Especially to decent teams. They have never coached at a major conference, never coached in a BCS Bowl. They are what we call up and comers. Kinda like Al Golden was in 2010. Herman struggled mightily at ISU, his offenses regressed. He may be a good coach, he may not.
5. Butch Davis is a more experienced coach than Pagano, Chud, Schiano, Christobal....period. If you want to hire them, you are better off hiring the guy they learned from. Like, would you rather have Urban Meyer or Herman- who learned from Urban? Should be a no brainer to anyone.
6. Hue Jackson is a coordinator. He was a .500 guy his one stint as HC for the Raiders and was apparently a ****. He has NO HC experience in college. He is a huge gamble. I'd rather have a proven college HC.

Last edited:
And, just like at Miami, many of them weren't highly recruited either...

People forget that UNC was a darkhorse to win the National Title had the NCAA not suspended almost their entire defense for the season.

He did this at UNC.

Not Miami

NORTH CAROLINA

This ^

That entire defensive side were NFL prospects lmao

Remember Rashawn Scott was Butch's before Golden & co found him.

So the fact that he made UNC relevant in football, had them competing in games with a bunch of first rounders doesn't mean anything?
Again, NORTH CAROLINA?? Butch even freaking beat us 3 out of 4 times while he was there! With the players HE chose and the players HE developed.

I have a few friends from North Carolina who even today still say "We want Butch back".

I don't want to hear people use caveats like "at a non football powerhouse" or "he beat us".

The time to bring back butch was in 2006. More than half the fan base then didn't like that idea b/c "of the way he snuck out on us wahhh wahhh".

Why not? UNC was horrendous in football before he got there. So he gets there and all of sudden, more wins and drafted players galore.
And yes, HIS recruiting of the players HE got beat OUR south Florida players 3 out of 4 times. Not to mention he came down here and stole Gio Bernard from our backyard.

The man knows how to recruit, develop and get those players playing like savages on the field.

He is the perfect quick-fix solution for us today.

B/C you can use this logic to justify a ton of coaches. For example, Al Golden. Or Mike Leech.

Most of the NFL players got drafted at UNC b/c of what Butch did at Miami. The UNC NFL players list is a whose who of jags and busts.

Coples? H. Nicks? Gio Bernard? Not busts to me.

Al Golden has never been responsible for assembling the greatest team in college football history. His BEST accomplishment was winning 9 games in ONE season at Temple...who by the way, are 7-0 and ranked today. So gee, they were sure better off without him.

When Butch left UNC, they have never been the same again. They are actually starting to win this year somewhat but nowhere near the talent level he had brought into that program when he was there. Numerous first rounders in a program like UNC is not easy.

Mike Leach never won anything in Texas Tech, and the reason why he doesn't get offered by any major school is because he is just an offensive guru and nothing else. His teams have always had to score 45+ pts to win a game and still is the case today at Washington St.

There must be a reason that Butch has the vote of majority of the fans and especially the ex-players. They all know what he is capable of.
I would be willing to bet that with our same roster, he accomplishes AT LEAST 9 wins in his first year.

the majority of the fans loved Golden.

The entire team wanted Coker.

Half the alum want Chud or Mario.

Butch Davis had his time and his time is over.

Advertisement

I don't want to hear people use caveats like "at a non football powerhouse" or "he beat us".

The time to bring back butch was in 2006. More than half the fan base then didn't like that idea b/c "of the way he snuck out on us wahhh wahhh".

Why not? UNC was horrendous in football before he got there. So he gets there and all of sudden, more wins and drafted players galore.
And yes, HIS recruiting of the players HE got beat OUR south Florida players 3 out of 4 times. Not to mention he came down here and stole Gio Bernard from our backyard.

The man knows how to recruit, develop and get those players playing like savages on the field.

B/C you can use this logic to justify a ton of coaches. For example, Al Golden. Or Mike Leech.

Most of the NFL players got drafted at UNC b/c of what Butch did at Miami. The UNC NFL players list is a whose who of jags and busts.

Al Golden has never been responsible for assembling the greatest team in college football history. His BEST accomplishment was winning 9 games in ONE season at Temple...who by the way, are 7-0 and ranked today. So gee, they were sure better off without him.

When Butch left UNC, they have never been the same again. They are actually starting to win this year somewhat but nowhere near the talent level he had brought into that program when he was there. Numerous first rounders in a program like UNC is not easy.

Mike Leach never won anything in Texas Tech, and the reason why he doesn't get offered by any major school is because he is just an offensive guru and nothing else. His teams have always had to score 45+ pts to win a game and still is the case today at Washington St.

There must be a reason that Butch has the vote of majority of the fans and especially the ex-players. They all know what he is capable of.
I would be willing to bet that with our same roster, he accomplishes AT LEAST 9 wins in his first year.

Golden was a car salesman. Fans loved him because he promised everything, we all believed him but he delivered nothing.
Plus, we were all just happy someone else was the head coach instead of Shannon. There was ALWAYS skepticism about a Temple head coach coming in here to such a prestigious program like Miami. I was sure skeptical, but at the same time I was just happy we had a new face.

The entire team wanted Coker because he was under Butch, so that team and us fans assumed that he was molded exactly like Butch and had learned tons from Butch.....but after all Butch's players left, we found out the truth quickly.

Butch Davis is 63 today, like Saban is 63 and dominating.... and like Les Miles is 61 and dominating. They are not going anywhere anytime soon.He is certainly capable of coming here and turnings things around real quick. We don't need him for 5-6 years, we need him for at least 3 years to get sh*t back in order and then hand the keys to someone else while he stays here overlooking the program. He mentioned he would bring in a young aggressive staff that can coach their butts off and then when he leaves hand everything to a successor in his staff chosen by HIM.

Agree to disagree. Butch is the best solution.

There are legitimate concerns with Butch.

That 2009 season is troubling. His poor coordinator hires are troubling. He has his warts.

That doesn't mean he's off the table, but I'd pump the brakes a little.

Golden was a car salesman. Fans loved him because he promised everything, we all believed him but he delivered nothing.
Plus, we were all just happy someone else was the head coach instead of Shannon. There was ALWAYS skepticism about a Temple head coach coming in here to such a prestigious program like Miami. I was sure skeptical, but at the same time I was just happy we had a new face.

The entire team wanted Coker because he was under Butch, so that team and us fans assumed that he was molded exactly like Butch and had learned tons from Butch.....but after all Butch's players left, we found out the truth quickly.

Butch Davis is 63 today, like Saban is 63 and dominating.... and like Les Miles is 61 and dominating. They are not going anywhere anytime soon.He is certainly capable of coming here and turnings things around real quick. We don't need him for 5-6 years, we need him for at least 3 years to get sh*t back in order and then hand the keys to someone else while he stays here overlooking the program. He mentioned he would bring in a young aggressive staff that can coach their butts off and then when he leaves hand everything to a successor in his staff chosen by HIM.

SMFH you STILL DONT GET IT.

The problem is not talent. We don't need someone to come in here and "get things in order" or "turn it around" or "recruit and develop".

We have been chasing that same tail for ten ******* years!

Spurrier, Beamer, Tuberville, Bowden, Brown----these guys were all legendary coaches during Butch's heyday and they ALL suck now. B/c THIS IS WHAT HAPPENS. Coaches, like players, have a prime. And when that prime ends, they aren't as good. You are chasing the ghosts of the past, and I'm saying we need to move forward.

And anyone who thinks that if Kelly wanted to come back to college that he would laugh at Miami is a gigantic punta. Miami has won FIVE ******* TITLES IN THE LAST 35 YEARS. No other college can say that. If you pay the man, which we can afford to do, he'd come here. Stop thinking that Miami is some redheaded step child that we have to beg coaches to come.

The reason our hirings have been ****** is bc the school didn't bother to go for broke. It happens. Happened at USC and Bama. Eventually the school will wake up, nd hopefully that time is now.

Advertisement
So the fact that he made UNC relevant in football, had them competing in games with a bunch of first rounders doesn't mean anything?
Again, NORTH CAROLINA?? Butch even freaking beat us 3 out of 4 times while he was there! With the players HE chose and the players HE developed.

I have a few friends from North Carolina who even today still say "We want Butch back".

Have a friend here in SWFL that was a Ram Club member. He quit supporting UNC athletics when Butch was fired.

SMFH you STILL DONT GET IT.

The problem is not talent. We don't need someone to come in here and "get things in order" or "turn it around" or "recruit and develop".

We have been chasing that same tail for ten ****ing years!

Spurrier, Beamer, Tuberville, Bowden, Brown----these guys were all legendary coaches during Butch's heyday and they ALL suck now. B/c THIS IS WHAT HAPPENS. Coaches, like players, have a prime. And when that prime ends, they aren't as good. You are chasing the ghosts of the past, and I'm saying we need to move forward.

And anyone who thinks that if Kelly wanted to come back to college that he would laugh at Miami is a gigantic punta. Miami has won FIVE ****ING TITLES IN THE LAST 35 YEARS. No other college can say that. If you pay the man, which we can afford to do, he'd come here. Stop thinking that Miami is some redheaded step child that we have to beg coaches to come.

The reason our hirings have been ****ty is bc the school didn't bother to go for broke. It happens. Happened at USC and Bama. Eventually the school will wake up, nd hopefully that time is now.

Who has mentioned anything about recruiting and talent? Didn't you read where I stated that with OUR SAME ROSTER, BUTCH CAN WIN AT LEAST 9 GAMES in his FIRST year???

There is a difference between recruiting AND developing the talent to turn it into W's. Something Golden, Shannon and Coker did not do with the players THEY recruited.

Chip Kelly? Really? What type of connection does he have with Miami and South Florida? Does he even have a relationship with the high school coaches down here??? And f*ck that Spread no huddle offense crap. I do not want to look like the Oregon Ducks. His defenses average over 30 min of playing time everywhere he has been. Seems real genius for a team in Miami right? Sure let's have our defense on the field 30 min every game in 95 degree heat. They would all pass out by halftime.

I want Miami to be the Miami we all know of. Pro Set offense and a 4-3 defense that smashes you in the face. NO Chip Kelly defense would ever smack you in the face. He would just outscore you. DEFENSE wins championships. Go tell Chip Kelly that, as he got spanked when he went to the title game.

Look at Harbaugh in Michigan. Year one with the same players from last year...plugs in HIS defense and HIS pro offense and they are a LEGIT team in his first year who would wipe the floor with us. 3 shutouts in a row vs solid teams.

Chip Kelly has NO business being down here with his never-won-anything ***. He can take his fat *** back to Oregon.

Last edited:

This.

Butch was great ... Let his last Miami memory be that he built the greatest team of all time ... And not that he failed to return Miami to relevance, and gets "bannered" on his way to being fired.

Which will be so ironic, given the old guys funding that banner will be the same guys claiming he's the ONLY candidate for the job, today ... :monkey-serious:

Advertisement
Mack Brown won 10 games three times at UNC and 9 games once, so it's not like Davis winning 8 games at UNC is some sort of super human accomplishment. I'm concerned about Davis only being able to win 8 games in the **** *** Coastal with the dominant talent he brought in. His OC, Shoop, was really bad too. So, I'm not all that thrilled with the last OC he hired either.

Like I said, I like Davis because this program is on life support, and we know his floor here would be 9 wins, and we know he'd load the roster like no other. But anyone expecting him to walk right in and start winning 11 games and competing for NCs in a year or even 2 will likely be angrier than hornets when it doesn't happen.

Al Golden after 4 years at Miami = .560
Butch Davis after 4 years at Miami = .673

Al Golden lost 9 schollys
Butch Davis lost 31 schollys

Butch Davis final 2 years at Miami = .800
If anyone thinks that Golden would have done the same over the rest of this year and next is insane.

This.

Butch was great ... Let his last Miami memory be that he built the greatest team of all time ... And not that he failed to return Miami to relevance, and gets "bannered" on his way to being fired.

Which will be so ironic, given the old guys funding that banner will be the same guys claiming he's the ONLY candidate for the job, today ... :monkey-serious:

How much of a "fan" are you? It's common knowledge who flew the Butch banner. If you were any kind of a fan, you would know they are not one in the same.

This.

How much of a "fan" are you? It's common knowledge who flew the Butch banner. If you were any kind of a fan, you would know they are not one in the same.

No disrespect to you, but I don't think you read my comment the way it was intended.

I'm talking future tense ...

Advertisement
Back