11/12: @ UCF 9:00PM (CBS Sports Network)

It has been that way for years. It appears at times we do not coach boxing out at all, not to mention free throw practice some years.

I feel certain that of course is not the case, but we simply do not rebound worth a ****.

UM
Exactly how I feel in regards to coaching along with a slew of other things down there in Coral Gables. Something isn't right with this staff and it has shown with glaring inefficiencies in very important aspects with our team. For years.

Advertisement
Not that this is cutting edge analysis, but **** Harlond Beverly is smooth as ****. Really impressed with him. He reminds me a little bit of Shaun Livingston, minus a few inches. But he's long, smooth, under control, excellent around the rim game, can finish with either hand.....10 to 4 assist to turnover ratio through 3 games, shooting 44% from 3.

This kid looks fantastic.

Rodney can’t breathe, struggles to rebound and is a D liability. Keep him in!
Hopeless on defense. Neither he nor Sam can elevate off the floor at all.

Gak, on the other hand, intrigues me. He's definitely got hops, length, and a motor that's 10x as powerful as Sam's and Miller's combined. Too bad he doesn't have at least another 25 pounds on his body. Looking at his frame, I don't see him ever being able to add weight and keep it on. Still, not writing him off for the future.

I am assuming you mean this will be a "quality" win. Do you think UCF will be a good team this year?
They just might be. I'd trade Sam and Miller in a heartbeat for their interior guys. The DeJesus kid and the Bama transfer can also play. I think they'll be better than their predicted lower tier finish in the AAC.

Advertisement
I don't mean this in a mean way because I know the kids gives it his all but Rodney Miller is flat out sorry. Sam Wardenburg is flat out soft. We have to start Walker and Deng together. It will be ugly at times and they will have their growing pains but it is 100% what is best for the future.

Also, does no one else agree on this board that Lykes needs to come off the bench? That's a role he would thrive in like he did his freshman year and is what is best for the team. I did like the fact that L had him at the 2 last night but I still don't believe he is built to be playing bulk minutes as a starting guard in the ACC. Regardless of those inflated stats from last year.

They just might be. I'd trade Sam and Miller in a heartbeat for their interior guys. The DeJesus kid and the Bama transfer can also play. I think they'll be better than their predicted lower tier finish in the AAC.

We will see about their finish.

I think anyone would make that trade.

Wow you guys are really moving the goal posts on Rodney.

The kid is averaging almost 9 and 7 while shooting 75% from the field. He is averaging only 3 fouls and less than a turnover per game - key stats for college bigs. His stamina has been good enough to give us 24 minutes per game. Our offense has averaged almost 1.4 points per possession when he is on the floor, 2nd on the team to DJ.

A few weeks ago you would have been mocking any poster that would have suggested he'd put up those numbers. He's not a star due to his massive defensive deficiencies, but he's far from the useless bum we feared he might be. He looks like a rotation big, which is all we could have asked for, and you're knocking him for not being ACC-starter quality?

He and the coaches deserve a lot of credit. He's vastly improved from his first couple of years here. But I know positivity isn't this board's strong suit.

Bubble for what? This is not an NCAAT team.

The ACC is loaded at the top this year. A couple of home upsets for us and beat the 6-15 teams and we can be right there. Just need to finish .500. I think this team is going to keep getting better as the year goes on. Some good freshmen and Lykes will get back to normal.

Advertisement
We play 4 games vs In state schools plus potential game vs UF, that's not good enough for you? lol

No. I just have no interest in seeing Miami play Quinnipac in an empty arena. UCF had about 10k people at their game against Miami.

Advertisement
Advertisement

Coach L post game press conference:

1. The first ten minutes of the first half were better than the last ten minutes.
2. Deng Gak was defensively sound against Colin Smith with Rodney Miller in foul trouble.
3. Coach L was impressed with the basketball environment at UCF.
4. Coach L said Rodney Miller is the Canes best low post scoring option. Personally, I think it is because he is the only low post option.

No mention of Sam Wardeenburg so I guess his injury was not serious. Also of note, Keith Stone dressed and participated in pre game activities.

Last edited:

The kid is averaging almost 9 and 7 while shooting 75% from the field. He is averaging only 3 fouls and less than a turnover per game - key stats for college bigs. His stamina has been good enough to give us 24 minutes per game. Our offense has averaged almost 1.4 points per possession when he is on the floor, 2nd on the team to DJ.

A few weeks ago you would have been mocking any poster that would have suggested he'd put up those numbers. He's not a star due to his massive defensive deficiencies, but he's far from the useless bum we feared he might be. He looks like a rotation big, which is all we could have asked for, and you're knocking him for not being ACC-starter quality?

He and the coaches deserve a lot of credit. He's vastly improved from his first couple of years here. But I know positivity isn't this board's strong suit.

I swear most people on this board either hate this team or hate their life. I’ve never seen such negative idiocy.

Coach L post game press conference:

1. The first ten minutes of the first half were better than the last ten minutes.
2. Deng Gak was defensively sound against Colin Smith with Rodney Miller in foul trouble.
3. Coach L was impressed with the basketball environment at UCF.
4. Coach L is the Canes best low post scoring option. Personally, I think it is because he is the only low post option.

No mention of Sam Wardeenburg so I guess his injury was not serious. Also of note, Keith Stone dressed and participated in pre game activities.

If Coach L is our best low post scoring option, we're in trouble. He just turned 70, I feel like he may hit the dreaded AARP wall later in the season.

The negativity on this board is out of control, almost getting on par with the football board.

Rodney has given us quality burn. He has nice touch around the rim and he rebounds fairly well. Unfortunately he is extremely limited athletically, he has no lateral quickness and can't elevate worth a ****, so he is a defensive liability, especially against athletic bigs.

We just went up to UCF and beat a decent team on the road, with Lykes contributing virtually nothing offensively. It was far from a perfect performance, but I saw some signs of progress. Beverly is quickly turning into a star, Walker is improving with each game, and DJ continues to play very well even on nights where his 3 point shot isn't falling.

Yet the idiots on this board are saying we'll be lucky to go 3-17 in the ACC. Just absurd.

Advertisement
Back