11/12: @ UCF 9:00PM (CBS Sports Network)

Hopeless on defense. Neither he nor Sam can elevate off the floor at all.

Gak, on the other hand, intrigues me. He's definitely got hops, length, and a motor that's 10x as powerful as Sam's and Miller's combined. Too bad he doesn't have at least another 25 pounds on his body. Looking at his frame, I don't see him ever being able to add weight and keep it on. Still, not writing him off for the future.

Exactly. Gak has the goods, no doubt, but if they can't ever put on the weight.....he is extremely limited.

Advertisement
Exactly. Gak has the goods, no doubt, but if they can't ever put on the weight.....he is extremely limited.
Think you're right. Strength, through adding muscle/weight, is the key to Gak's upside. Personally, even as he looks today, I'd be interested in seeing how the team functions with Gak and Walker starting over Miller and Waardenburg.

Think you're right. Strength, through adding muscle/weight, is the key to Gak's upside. Personally, even as he looks today, I'd be interested in seeing how the team functions with Gak and Walker starting over Miller and Waardenburg.

Gak doesn’t give you enough scoring to start. Rodney’s defense goes from pretty poor when he’s fresh to atrocious when he’s gassed... but he still offers more than Gak right now.

I’d love to see Sam out and Walker in, however.

Wow you guys are really moving the goal posts on Rodney.

The kid is averaging almost 9 and 7 while shooting 75% from the field. He is averaging only 3 fouls and less than a turnover per game - key stats for college bigs. His stamina has been good enough to give us 24 minutes per game. Our offense has averaged almost 1.4 points per possession when he is on the floor, 2nd on the team to DJ.

A few weeks ago you would have been mocking any poster that would have suggested he'd put up those numbers. He's not a star due to his massive defensive deficiencies, but he's far from the useless bum we feared he might be. He looks like a rotation big, which is all we could have asked for, and you're knocking him for not being ACC-starter quality?

He and the coaches deserve a lot of credit. He's vastly improved from his first couple of years here. But I know positivity isn't this board's strong suit.

Moving the goal posts? Perhaps those numbers need to be put into context, like when the majority of his “production” against UL came when the game was way over.

How about last night? Did we play better when he wasn’t in?

Defensive liability? Out of curiosity, how many points do you think he allowed last night?

Vastly improved? If he scored one basket a night, he would have “vastly improved” compared to his prior seasons. There is no doubt he has “vastly improved” but lets wait until a decent sample of ACC opponents.

With that said, would you prefer to see Walker out there. How about Deng? At least they’re more aggressive and can play some defense.

----

And to respond directly, as to Rodney averaging those numbers, I am shocked and surprised he could produce that. With that said, see the above.

Last edited:
Gak doesn’t give you enough scoring to start. Rodney’s defense goes from pretty poor when he’s fresh to atrocious when he’s gassed... but he still offers more than Gak right now.

I’d love to see Sam out and Walker in, however.
Clearly coach L agrees with you on Miller over Gak at this point. I'd like to engage the Coach on how he sees the two players. Miller is 6'11 but with zero athleticism, he might as well be 6'7. Gak, with his wingspan and hops, plays like he's a legit 7 footer. At least as far as potential to protect the rim goes! Admittedly, he has no body core so most opposing bigs can move him out of position pretty easily right now. He runs the floor pretty good too.

As for Gak on offense, did you see his missed attempt at a jam putback in the UCF game? Jekiri and Izundu never showed those hops. And, IIRC, L has said he has a nice little jump shot (which I have to take his word for).

Advertisement
The negativity on this board is out of control, almost getting on par with the football board.

Rodney has given us quality burn. He has nice touch around the rim and he rebounds fairly well. Unfortunately he is extremely limited athletically, he has no lateral quickness and can't elevate worth a ****, so he is a defensive liability, especially against athletic bigs.

We just went up to UCF and beat a decent team on the road, with Lykes contributing virtually nothing offensively. It was far from a perfect performance, but I saw some signs of progress. Beverly is quickly turning into a star, Walker is improving with each game, and DJ continues to play very well even on nights where his 3 point shot isn't falling.

Yet the idiots on this board are saying we'll be lucky to go 3-17 in the ACC. Just absurd.
Decent team the road?

Ok positive polly Were you listening when the commentator said that this team lost over 70% of its scoring from last year? The same team that eeked by Prairie view by 4 at home is a decent team?

You must be smokin the good good!

Decent team the road?

Ok positive polly Were you listening when the commentator said that this team lost over 70% of its scoring from last year? The same team that eeked by Prairie view by 4 at home is a decent team?

You must be smokin the good good!
I'm usually a negative person, actually. Look, I'm not saying we beat a world beater, but it's early in the season. Evansville just beat Kentucky. We have no idea how some of these teams will look 2-3 months from now. For now, I'm going to enjoy a win on the road against a solid program, and not ***** and moan like the sky is falling and say ridiculous crap like this team is going 3-17 in the ACC.

Advertisement
Random Stuff:

- Besides featuring a lineup with 4 guards, as previously stated, I think it will be key that our guards combine for 60 Points. Last night, 4 of them combined for 59.
- Bev needs to start and he needs to be the 4th guard on the first lineup.
- Sam's final stat line: 18 Mins, 2 Points, 2 Rebounds, 1 Assist and 1 Turnover.
- Here is our 3PT shooting through 3 Games: UL: 10-24, FAU: 5-18 and UCF: 5-20 or 20-62 (32.2%). I think we shot 33.3% last year.
- Here is our FT shooting through 3 games: UL: 4-11, FAU: 9-14 and UCF: 16-22 or 29-47 (61.7%). I think we shot 73.5% last year.
- When Sam and Rodney are on the court at the same time, you have a very slow and non-aggressive lineup. I am unclear how many points (combined) they allowed, but it was certainly more than they scored. Keeping them in at the same time makes no sense. At least with Walker, you have a more aggressive defender and rebounder.
The free throw percentage is ridiculous. I'll never understand how someone (team) can suck so badly at something they doing since the age of 5.

I'm usually a negative person, actually. Look, I'm not saying we beat a world beater, but it's early in the season. Evansville just beat Kentucky. We have no idea how some of these teams will look 2-3 months from now. For now, I'm going to enjoy a win on the road against a solid program, and not ***** and moan like the sky is falling and say ridiculous crap like this team is going 3-17 in the ACC.
No you'd rather say something stupid like we beat a decent team, which is absurd. If you want to see rainbows and gummi bears after every game, knock yourself out. My criticism is reserved to basketball criticism. I don't ever take personal shots at the kids, so I don't care if i'm not bubbly enough for you.

You make the comment that nobody knows how the team will look in 2-3 months but then it's ridiculous to say that they'll be 3-17? If nobody knows then how do you know that 3-17 is wrong? Or ridiculous? Or is it that nobody knows but you?

As long as nobody is criticizing these kids outside of basketball just let people speak their opinions. Is that fair?

Advertisement
Back