1 on 1 - DJ Ivey (CB) UM 18' vs Jeff Thomas (WR) UM 17'

Advertisement
I don't get the point of 7 v 7. I get that you see some of the skills, but have you ever seen a WR run a route featuring 4 moves? It's next to impossible to cover somebody when you give them that kind of time and don't jam them at the line. I would think this kind of setting is overrated as a means of evaluation.

Advertisement
I don't get the point of 7 v 7. I get that you see some of the skills, but have you ever seen a WR run a route featuring 4 moves? It's next to impossible to cover somebody when you give them that kind of time and don't jam them at the line. I would think this kind of setting is overrated as a means of evaluation.

Agree. I think it is very overrated especially in terms of evaluating cornerbacks. Corn elder would probably struggle a lot in 7-7 guarding a WR 1 on 1 but add pads and 10 other guys and he's a baller.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Your only chance against this guy is if you're a big physical CB with long arms. Maybe you can rough him up, because you have no chance with his route running. He's too quick and crisp out of the those breaks.

they give the QB's limited time to get rid of the ball.

how many times did thomas use 4 moves in those clips?

the defenders are allowed to jam if they want.

Advertisement
Your only chance against this guy is if you're a big physical CB with long arms. Maybe you can rough him up, because you have no chance with his route running. He's too quick and crisp out of the those breaks.

Hes going to be hard to cover even if they start trying to jam him. Would think we would have some plays like Wrs screens or rub routes if Dbs start trying this to our WRs which I fully expect soon. Those days of not fearing Miami speed is coming to an end

they give the QB's limited time to get rid of the ball.

how many times did thomas use 4 moves in those clips?

the defenders are allowed to jam if they want.

To my untrained eye, the game of football seems to involve lots of 1 cut routes with an occasional double move.

7-7 seems to be about running around trying to shake the defender like you're on the playground.

Jamming may be allowed, but I don't see it happening.

The QB has a limited time but no pressure.

Advertisement
Tyson Campbell?????????

Advertisement

He didn't run any unrealistic routes. In 7-on-7 the QB only has 4 seconds to throw so there's really not enough time for a bunch of BS.

I don't really think it's overrated but I also don't think it's that important either. (in terms of evaluation) College coaches certainly don't put any stock in it.

It's extremely valuable to the kids though. They learn how to run routes versus a variety of coverages and learn how to compete. We make a ton of progress during 7-on-7 tournaments in the off season.

Agree. I think it is very overrated especially in terms of evaluating cornerbacks. Corn elder would probably struggle a lot in 7-7 guarding a WR 1 on 1 but add pads and 10 other guys and he's a baller.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Why would a CB excel in one form of playing but not the other? 7-on-7 is real football. (without the hitting) It's not like it's some made-up game that doesn't apply to real football. Anything you can do in real football you can do in 7-on-7. (minus hitting obviously)

It's a great way to evaluate CB's. There's no pass rush. You get to see how good a kid's coverage ability really is. A mediocre CB can't hide behind an elite pass rush.

You also get to see how well the CB plays various coverages. You get to see how savvy he is.

A savvy CB who reads WR body language (during routes) can cover him right now. On some of his routes you can tell when he's about to break. He doesn't "stem" his route the exact same way every play. You can tell he's up to something by the way he comes off the ball, the way he raises or drops his pad level, etc.

Once he gets coached up though, it's a wrap. He'll be a nightmare. His quickness is elite.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back