1 on 1 - DJ Ivey (CB) UM 18' vs Jeff Thomas (WR) UM 17'

Advertisement
I don't get the point of 7 v 7. I get that you see some of the skills, but have you ever seen a WR run a route featuring 4 moves? It's next to impossible to cover somebody when you give them that kind of time and don't jam them at the line. I would think this kind of setting is overrated as a means of evaluation.

Idk how its overrated since every high school, college and pro team have some type of 7o7 setting during the offseason. Its a way for skill players to get that extra work...

I don't get the point of 7 v 7. I get that you see some of the skills, but have you ever seen a WR run a route featuring 4 moves? It's next to impossible to cover somebody when you give them that kind of time and don't jam them at the line. I would think this kind of setting is overrated as a means of evaluation.

He didn't run any unrealistic routes. In 7-on-7 the QB only has 4 seconds to throw so there's really not enough time for a bunch of BS.

I don't really think it's overrated but I also don't think it's that important either. (in terms of evaluation) College coaches certainly don't put any stock in it.

It's extremely valuable to the kids though. They learn how to run routes versus a variety of coverages and learn how to compete. We make a ton of progress during 7-on-7 tournaments in the off season.

You make some good points. I personally don't recall often seeing guys in games putting multiple moves on DBs so much as running to a point, throwing a head fake, making a cut. At that point the route seems to be over unless the QB is scrambling, then it's playground football and all bets are off.

I agree with the notion that it lets WRs, DBs, and QBs show their skills without the distraction of an actual game. But as far as it being overrated, I stand on that. As I said, the route running doesn't look realistic to me, and we all know it doesn't tell you anything about how a kid deals with contact. As for the QB having 4 seconds, that's a pretty long time and most in-game plays won't go that long without him getting rid of the ball.

Put it this way, do you think Kayaa would look better or worse in 7-7 than he does in games?

Idk how its overrated since every high school, college and pro team have some type of 7o7 setting during the offseason. Its a way for skill players to get that extra work...

Bolded part is true. As for the first part, just because everybody does it doesn't mean it's not overrated.

Advertisement

He didn't run any unrealistic routes. In 7-on-7 the QB only has 4 seconds to throw so there's really not enough time for a bunch of BS.

I don't really think it's overrated but I also don't think it's that important either. (in terms of evaluation) College coaches certainly don't put any stock in it.

It's extremely valuable to the kids though. They learn how to run routes versus a variety of coverages and learn how to compete. We make a ton of progress during 7-on-7 tournaments in the off season.

You make some good points. I personally don't recall often seeing guys in games putting multiple moves on DBs so much as running to a point, throwing a head fake, making a cut. At that point the route seems to be over unless the QB is scrambling, then it's playground football and all bets are off.

Well if you're witnessing that BS in a 7-on-7 then what you're likely seeing is a lack of coaching. Usually you see that junk with these makeshift all-star 7-on-7 teams. WR's doing all that dancing and stuff while running their routes. You normally don't see that garbage at team 7-on-7 tournaments that high schools are competing in. They run their offense the way it would be run in games. You have a specific route to run, you run it, and you run it the way it was coached. (without all the junkyard BS)

Well if you're witnessing that BS in a 7-on-7 then what you're likely seeing is a lack of coaching. Usually you see that junk with these makeshift all-star 7-on-7 teams. WR's doing all that dancing and stuff while running their routes. You normally don't see that garbage at team 7-on-7 tournaments that high schools are competing in. They run their offense the way it would be run in games. You have a specific route to run, you run it, and you run it the way it was coached. (without all the junkyard BS)

It seems I'm the only one who thinks this, so I'm probably wrong. That said, I put a clip of some clown below...

Second route :)20) dude shuffles around at the line, fakes inside, goes outside, then does a stop and go before making the catch. Does all that happen in games? Is being able to shake a DB in that way translatable to game situations?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZQYVhaQUmvI

It seems I'm the only one who thinks this, so I'm probably wrong. That said, I put a clip of some clown below...

Second route :)20) dude shuffles around at the line, fakes inside, goes outside, then does a stop and go before making the catch. Does all that happen in games? Is being able to shake a DB in that way translatable to game situations?

These 1 on 1's man those always have the bs routes that the db's will have a disadvantage in each time. 7 ON 7 they run real route pattern & its not even no time for the junkyard routes because the qb has about 4 sec to get the ball off

That's that dumb MF Sly Johnson teaching them that bullsh!t.

A lot of kids who go to Sly's camps do this garbage. If you remember last year, in an interview Dugans said he had to coach Bruce how to get rid of that dancing **** and run real routes.

You see it all the time in South FLA during these 1-on-1 camps. Like I said in my last post, you don't see it much at true 7-on-7 tournaments. Teams run their real offense.

Last edited:
Advertisement

A lot of kids who go to Sly's camps do this garbage. If you remember last year, in an interview Dugans said he had to coach Bruce how to get rid of that dancing **** and run real routes.

You see it all the time in South FLA during these 1-on-1 camps. Like I said in my last post, you don't see it much at true 7-on-7 tournaments. Teams run their real offense.

Correct. You'll still see some of it with some schools. Mostly out of the slot. But, teams will usually have their players not do that, because its prep for the season.

Sly isn't the only one teaching them that ****. There's been quite the upsurge in the "IG footwork coaching" market. All they need is a ladder, cones/hurdles, and a big name prospect.

Glad to hear this isn't the norm.

And the funny part is that is literally Bruce.

Advertisement
Back