2023 #1 247 RB Richard Young

Advertisement
Coach Chaney was on with Miami Flo last night. Couldn’t listen at the time, so wondering if he mentioned anything about Young specifically.

Advertisement
The idea of playing for an HBCU is admittingly pretty cool and now with the advent of NIL's it's a definite possibility. However, I think that luster is going to wear off come draft time when these kids have not been developed nor have, they faced any real competition during their time in college...
There are student athletes at the FCS level that get drafted by the NFL every year. P5 offers better competition and facilities, but if you can play, the NFL will find you.

Advertisement
There are student athletes at the FCS level that get drafted by the NFL every year. P5 offers better competition and facilities, but if you can play, the NFL will find you.
Dont know bro... The numbers don't add up. The top 3 HBCU's in terms of football... #3 Jackson state. Has only had 4 players drafted in the last 30 years! One, 5th, two 6th and one 11th rounder. Yikes. #2 Grambling is a little better with 4 players since 2000. #1 Tennessee St. is the best with 5 draftees in the last 11 years, but none better than the 5th round. Miami for example has had 123 players drafted since 2000... If you got talent, you go to the "best" school possible... Making a "statement" is Internet BS. In the end, it's all about money and which opportunity gives you the best chance to make the most. Sorry, it's not the schools above with INFERIOR everything unless there are Guaranteed NIL money involved.

Last edited:
This is true.

Dont know bro... The numbers don't add up. The top 3 HBCU's in terms of football... #3 Jacksonville state. Has only had 4 players drafted in the last 30 years! One, 5th, two 6th and one 11th rounder. Yikes. #2 Grambling is a little better with 4 players since 2000. #1 Tennessee St. is the best with 5 draftees in the last 11 years, but none better than the 5th round. Miami for example has had 123 players drafted since 2000... If you got talent, you go to the "best" school possible... Making a "statement" is Internet BS. In the end, it's all about money and which opportunity gives you the best chance to make the most. Sorry, it's not the schools above with INFERIOR everything unless there are Guaranteed NIL money involved.

Jacksonville State is not an HBCU. You post that a lot but I had to finally address it… JSU had 2 players drafted in the 1st round in 2000. Around that time top talent waned off as far as going to HBCUs. Next, this is the first time in the modern recruiting era that heralded recruits are intentionally choosing HBCUs. It’s different and hasn’t been done before. Scouts are going to watch Coleman and Hunter closely but if they don’t dominate then it’ll hurt them. Hunter reported NIL deal isn’t for him to go undrafted. That large alleged deal is because he still is projected as an nfl prospect in the next 3 years. We have saw kids take similar routes but either because of grades or off field issues but if they didn’t get drafted it wasn’t because of the school but because they didn’t perform well.

I saw there was a guy named Nate Robinson who committed to us in 03 as a 4 star athlete he fell short academically so he decided to go to Rutgers (early 00’s Rutgers sucked) but he didn’t perform well due to injuries so he wasn’t drafted.

Advertisement
Jacksonville State is not an HBCU. You post that a lot but I had to finally address it… JSU had 2 players drafted in the 1st round in 2000. Around that time top talent waned off as far as going to HBCUs. Next, this is the first time in the modern recruiting era that heralded recruits are intentionally choosing HBCUs. It’s different and hasn’t been done before. Scouts are going to watch Coleman and Hunter closely but if they don’t dominate then it’ll hurt them. Hunter reported NIL deal isn’t for him to go undrafted. That large alleged deal is because he still is projected as an nfl prospect in the next 3 years. We have saw kids take similar routes but either because of grades or off field issues but if they didn’t get drafted it wasn’t because of the school but because they didn’t perform well.

I saw there was a guy named Nate Robinson who committed to us in 03 as a 4 star athlete he fell short academically so he decided to go to Rutgers (early 00’s Rutgers sucked) but he didn’t perform well due to injuries so he wasn’t drafted.
Once I saw Jacksonville St, that’s when I stopped reading. Most of these kids grandparents, families, and coaches attended HBCU’s. Some of the NFL’s best players in the past were from HBCU’s.

Once I saw Jacksonville St, that’s when I stopped reading. Most of these kids grandparents, families, and coaches attended HBCU’s. Some of the NFL’s best players in the past were from HBCU’s.

Exactly! It’s not out of the realm. And as long as they continue to get decent coaching they’ll start having more talent. Unfortunately, coaching had fallen off at the HBCU level but it looks like it’s getting better. I actually remembered back in 07 Hampton University had quite a few guys in NFL camps. Justin Durant was their highest selection with the Jags. The funny thing is they also used the JSU blueprint with transfers like Tavaris Bain who played here.

My bad, Jackson State. In terms of draft picks, they've only had ONE in the last 20 years, back in 2008 a sixth rounder. When it comes to school choice for these potential 1st round kids, NONE of the FCS or HBCU's can compare to the likes of Bama and the other majors. Bama for example, spends north of 60 MILLION A YEAR just on its football program. No way no how these little schools can compare in terms of what is available to the players.

Advertisement
Dont know bro... The numbers don't add up. The top 3 HBCU's in terms of football... #3 Jackson state. Has only had 4 players drafted in the last 30 years! One, 5th, two 6th and one 11th rounder. Yikes. #2 Grambling is a little better with 4 players since 2000. #1 Tennessee St. is the best with 5 draftees in the last 11 years, but none better than the 5th round. Miami for example has had 123 players drafted since 2000... If you got talent, you go to the "best" school possible... Making a "statement" is Internet BS. In the end, it's all about money and which opportunity gives you the best chance to make the most. Sorry, it's not the schools above with INFERIOR everything unless there are Guaranteed NIL money involved.
I personally know multiple guys that were drafted and played in the NFL from the FCS. They were not top prospects out of high school. These young men are.

So, you are not in a position to say what they can become or what these schools can be. Just like Miami, they were once elite football schools. They'll probably never get their again, but they can still produce NFL talent.

I saw a video where Bear Bryant and Frank Broyles were at a clinic from legendary FAMU coach Jake Gaither back in the day. Gaither was the one who invented offensive line splits. He was never given credit for it. They were learning from him, not the other way around. People want to stereotype what they don't know or don't understand.

Attachments

• Coach Jake Gaither.jpg
    Coach Jake Gaither.jpg
    564.8 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:
Advertisement
Back