08/24 research has begun

View as article
Advertisement
All 3 of the Big 3 schools are looking at major O Line questions that will likely set the course for the type of season each will have. I'll be honest, I don't know much about the guys UF will be rolling out on 8/24, but O line is more about player development than signing top prospects (in most cases), IMO. So I won't discount their abilities just b/c you see a bunch of ⭐⭐⭐ guys on their 2 deep. Definitely a huge position to watch for both Miami and UF once camp opens next week.
IDK. I think a 4th year (RS Junior) should have an advantage over a true Freshman or Sophomore. Most of the guys they're rolling out there on offense have played some whereas we may be rolling out 2 guys with no prior experience. It's a scary proposition for both teams because each team has a good defensive line.

Watch our game against LSU and then watch Florida's game against LSU...and then come back and tell me their run D was better than ours. Go watch their games against Kentucky and Missouri.

Fact: Florida's run defense was worse than ours was last season. It's not even debatable.

Edit: I read your post wrong. I also disagree that our running game was terrible. It was limited by the OL and the offensive scheme but it was far from terrible.
Our running game was Richt's entire tenure at Miami in a nutshell. Feast or famine. While it may look good in the stat sheet, it's really not going to be a key contributor to winning the game against any above average defense.

Enos needs to elevate our run game to the point where we avoid being stuffed at the LOS 3 out of 4 times as it did with Richt. It's no guarantee for game 1.

Advertisement
I think it benefits Diaz because the shot-in-the-dark hope is Baker brings an added perspective rather than mirror exactly what Manny has done. For example, I can see us utilizing a ton of 4-2-5 with Hill, Rousseau and Garvin all on the lineup. But, in order to get there, we'll need to stop their run game on early downs. If we can somehow get solid play from our DTs and some level of discipline from our LBs against what seems like a fairly average interior OL from the Gates, Franks should have a disproportionately difficult time on 3 and 7+.

I'm usually a big gambler and lean toward aggression on defense, but I don't think this is the game to over-utilize the zone blitz. Play their front straight up and see what happens.
I completely agree. The key to Florida's success in 2018 was their running game. Franks was put in favorable positions with 2nd and 6 or 3rd and 2 with their running game. It's a world different facing 3rd and 7 or 3rd and an 8 when the defense knows your going to pass and they can pin their ears back.

I look for Florida to try to establish their running game early. They may mix it up with some 1st down pass plays, but I think stopping the run is the key to the game. If we shut down their running game, I don't see Franks beating us with his arm. After a few QB sacks and pressures, he'll get happy feet in the pocket, his internal clock will speed up, then mistakes will happen.

I really feel that the team that can establish the run and wins the turnover battle will leave Orlando victorious.

I don't see why not. We rushed for 191 yds/gm and 5 yds/r last season...and that was with a bunch of jags on the line and a limited playbook.

Also, our defense did better against both LSU and FSU than theirs did.

FSU is a valid point because it was still a game. But this is the second time I've heard LSU. We deflated as a team after that big run in the first qtr despite being down only 7-3. I discount game stats because LSU they took their foot off the gas and played patty cake with us the second half. We have to play mentally tougher than that.

Seeing that they're 7 point favorites, Gators will attempt to do the same and play arrogant. They'll most likely to throw everything at us early to try to rattle us since we're playing in a new offense, with inexperience QBs, an uncertain OL, in front of what is most likely a friendly crowd in Orlando.

We have to deal with that and make the proper adjustments early on rather than wait till the second half. If we are mentally tough enough to keep this a game, we'll have a punchers chance. It may take a Shockey type play to pull it out. Until we relearn how to win these types of games, the defense is going to have to buy us enough time for the offense to make some plays.

Last edited:
Advertisement
One thing people fail to realize is Feleipe Franks was literally benched in the EIGHTH game of the season last year. That's how bad he was up to that point. His job was gone. Then, Trask breaks his foot in practice, Franks gets the job back, and plays really well the last 4 games against USCe (literally no defense, the entire team was hurt), Idaho (stop it), the corpse of FSU, and Michigan's B-team who didn't care to even be there.

This kid stinks and has always stunk. The ONLY thing that concerns me about their offense is his ability to run the ball. He ran it a lot more after the Mizzou game, and they were successful. I think Miami will stop the backs well enough, and I have ZERO concern about Franks picking the defense apart with his arm. What I am concerned with is his ability and now willingness to run when nothing is there.

He averaged 1.6 YPC (yes, sacks count against QB rushing numbers, but still) in his first 20 games. He averaged 4 yards a carry in their last 4 games.

Almost 50% of his career rushing yards came in their last 4 games last season. So when he drops to throw, and the first read or two isn't there, we MUST be able to generate enough pass rush to get him on the ground quickly. Even if they're not sacks, we can't let him run for 12 yards on 2nd and 9 or 3rd and 6. If his longest run isn't more than 5 or so yards for the game, we're in good shape. Manny and Blake need to make the kids understand that he WILL run much more easily than he had in the past, and Mullen WILL call designed runs for him as well and try to create a leverage situation that way. Gotta be ready.

He was just a symptom of a bigger problem. There's a reason the entire offensive staff was replaced.

It's encouraging that the cast of characters responsible for that mess are largely elsewhere

Richt - was completely checked out
J. Richt - worst hire in program history
Brown - run game coordinator
Dugans - pass game coordinator
Searels - hayseed moron
Hartley - allowed Feagles to ruin the season
Felder - produced fat weaklings
Rosier - inefficient QB who maxed out in '17
Homer - solid but fumbled and left yards on the field
Jones - not a good LG
Mahoney - not a good RG
Gauthier - mediocre C
St. Louis - mediocre LT
Cager - up and down career
Langham - inconsistent
Gray - one trick pony
Weldon - cocaine addict
Ezzard - malcontent

I'm usually a big gambler and lean toward aggression on defense, but I don't think this is the game to over-utilize the zone blitz. Play their front straight up and see what happens.

This is what we can expect from Grantham. Do you think that works in Enos's favor? Or too early to tell?

It's encouraging that the cast of characters responsible for that mess are largely elsewhere

Richt - was completely checked out
J. Richt - worst hire in program history
Brown - run game coordinator
Dugans - pass game coordinator
Searels - hayseed moron
Hartley - allowed Feagles to ruin the season
Felder - produced fat weaklings
Rosier - inefficient QB who maxed out in '17
Homer - solid but fumbled and left yards on the field
Jones - not a good LG
Mahoney - not a good RG
Gauthier - mediocre C
St. Louis - mediocre LT
Cager - up and down career
Langham - inconsistent
Gray - one trick pony
Weldon - cocaine addict
Ezzard - malcontent
That's the exact reason I expect to take the gator by surprise. I think they see Manny as Richt 2.0 because he was his DC for 3 years. They and the sports media think its a rebuilding year and we'll be a joke for years to come because of the perception of the Richt coaching tree.

Them thinking they're better than they are combined with underestimating us leads to an advantage for us. Mix in a little off field disruption in the form of transfers, failed recruits, and criminal charges, then top it the false sense of security a #10 ranking and 7.5 point betting line provides and we roll 24-17.

Last edited:
Advertisement
This is what we can expect from Grantham. Do you think that works in Enos's favor? Or too early to tell?
Not really. If the game were later in the year, I'd be inclined to say yes. Our QB/OL situation is likely going to restrict Enos' counters to what I expect to be ton of designed confusion from Grantham. Perhaps we'll see some deep shots, but I also expect Enos to heavily rely on our TEs and getting Jeff Thomas the ball on jet sweeps and in "easy" ways. It's gonna be a really interesting Xs and Os game bc of how early it's scheduled.

I wrote a post on this a couple weeks ago in a thread but here's the recap...

The hype is real for week zero. I was wondering what's the true talent at 2019 UM vs. 2019 UF vs. 2018 LSU in the trenches. The star rankings and experience of the guys in the trenches is normally a great indicator of who will win big rivalry games. And yes, these are projections so you can swap out a guy or two here and there who might start this fall. Without further ado...

2018 LSU
OL - Charles 4 star, Brumfield 4 star, Cushenberry 3 star, Lewis 3 star, Traore 4 star
DL- Lawrence 5 star, Fehoko 4/5 star, Logan high 4 star
Overall a lot of talent, experience, and depth in the trenches in 2018. The starters were mostly 4 stars and several top 100 players. They would be rated the highest of the bunch if we went with the exact point ratings.

2019 UM
OL - Herbert 4 star, Don 4 star, Gaynor 3 star, Reed 4 star, Scaife 4 star
DL- Garvin 4 star, Nesta 4/5 star, Bethel 4 star, Hill 3 star
A close 2nd to LSU would be 2019 UM. The majority of guys are mid tier 4 stars and top 300 players. You could swap out some guys but you get the overall picture. This is a talented team with 5 of 9 guys being multi year starters.

2019 UF
OL - Forsythe low 3 star, Heggie 3 star, Buchanon low 3 star, Banks 3 star, Gouriage 4 star
DL - Zuniga 3 star, Campbell 3 star, Shuler 3 star, Greenard 3 star
Well below these teams is 2019 UF. UF lost a ton of starters and experienced higher rated depth guys. UF has one 4 star player projected to start. The rest of the guys are 3 stars. The center is the only returning starter on the OL. Zuniga is the lone returning starter on the DL.

In conclusion, we should feel really good about this game with the big uglies. They had much more talent and experience across the board last season. It's such a disparity that I would consider this season more of a rebuilding year along the lines for UF.

You are way off on their DL situation. Campbell and Shuler both started last year. In fact, they return their top 4 DTs from last year (not that any are all that great). Polite is a huge loss for them, but nfl mock drafts have Zuniga in the first round next year. Greenard is also a big time transfer comprable to trevon Hill. This is the best DL we face all year and our OL better be ready

Advertisement
I would kill for that kind of a beatdown. They were a Top 10 team, too.

We can dream can't we. But it most likely won't follow that path.

In one regard, it's like the 99 team. Injecting Enos into the equation is similar to Dorsey replacing Kenny Kelly. These was an immediate night and day difference in the offense ... until we got up to VT. It got pretty ugly. Then there was Wash. Closer but still a loss. It took the third time against FSU to come away with a win but it was still close. This offense may follow a similar trajectory.

The good news is I don't see this UF team being as good as any of those teams. Our offense will make some plays. But we're going to have to rely on the defense (and special teams) to keep it close until the offense starts to click.

One of the most infuriating moments of Richts tenure (and keep in mind we won the game).

Zuniga will have that same kind of impact of we dont prepare for him. He can be that disruptive. He will be a first rounder.

Also, we wont be able to run on them. Not effectively at least.

On the offense, their TE is pretty good and will make plays. Hes the only one I'd fear.

I dont think their secondary is as hot as they make it out to be. Brevin and Will should have pretty good days.
I agree with this mostly only thing I'd change is I'm not worried about worried about their TE but their WRs worry me a bit. Van Jefferson is very solid, Tyrie Cleveland is a homerun hitter and Toney is a very impressive YAC guy. DBs are going to have to be on the top of their game and we don't really know what were getting aside from Bandy

I agree with this mostly only thing I'd change is I'm not worried about worried about their TE but their WRs worry me a bit. Van Jefferson is very solid, Tyrie Cleveland is a homerun hitter and Toney is a very impressive YAC guy. DBs are going to have to be on the top of their game and we don't really know what were getting aside from Bandy
I mean they got talent at the receiver positions but it’s not really proven. As much as they tout their receivers they have mediocre production and if you look at stats vs above .500 teams they faced they didn’t do well in their passing game. I know Miami’s group has a bunch of talent and we aren’t necessarily proven beyond a handful of the guys at the position but at least we acknowledge that.

Advertisement
Back