đź’© just got real. We're not F'ing around. If Mario can't do it, shut the program down.

Advertisement
Is Ruiz funding this? Wonder if this is why Izzy Havenick (Hecht) was mouthing off about Ruiz last week.

Interesting. And with the Towers being torn down (eventually), the Hecht name is taking a hit.

I would imagine that if it has gotten to the "rendering" stage, it is fairly well along with planning/pricing and they could move along to the "name sponsor" phase.

Only thing that worries me is Coral Gables and how quickly construction can be done there. If we tear down existing-Hecht and build in the footprint, there is not a lot of space to stage construction, you might even have to shut down San Amaro for a few blocks. At least with the IPF being on the backside of Hecht, we could stage some of that at Greentree.

Going to be...interesting...exciting, but interesting.

because there is a changing of the guard and the old guard isn't happy.

I just mentioned this, I don't think the Hecht family is upset, just maybe not thrilled that all the buildings with their name are slated to be torn down. And I think you could speak on this, as you live nearby, but I think they might have to shut down a few blocks of San Amaro if they intend to knock down the existing Hecht and build something in the same footprint.

By the way, did you bring back your old avatar pic? If so, kudos.

I think part of this is true. I don't think we had a nutritionist before Richt BUT.... Yeah still lol
I had read previously that Golden had pushed for a nutritionist when he was hired but was denied initially by the school. Still, he had one by 2015. I recall the Herald mentioning it in an article.

Advertisement
Interesting. And with the Towers being torn down (eventually), the Hecht name is taking a hit.

I would imagine that if it has gotten to the "rendering" stage, it is fairly well along with planning/pricing and they could move along to the "name sponsor" phase.

Only thing that worries me is Coral Gables and how quickly construction can be done there. If we tear down existing-Hecht and build in the footprint, there is not a lot of space to stage construction, you might even have to shut down San Amaro for a few blocks. At least with the IPF being on the backside of Hecht, we could stage some of that at Greentree.

Going to be...interesting...exciting, but interesting.
Having lived at Hecht, I'll be sad to see that brutalist construct come down. Not the most beautiful building, but it rode out Hurricane Andrew splendidly.

because there is a changing of the guard and the old guard isn't happy.
That goes without saying but this would kind of cut deep and closer to home. To which my response if your family has their name on a building and you care about said building and legacy, continue to maintain and invest in it.

Advertisement
Having lived at Hecht, I'll be sad to see that brutalist construct come down. Not the most beautiful building, but it rode out Hurricane Andrew splendidly.

I rode out Andrew (first) in an eastward-facing single in Pearson, and then in the hallway once Mahoney started taking damage and most of the trees in the parking lot bent in half.

Good times!

I just mentioned this, I don't think the Hecht family is upset, just maybe not thrilled that all the buildings with their name are slated to be torn down. And I think you could speak on this, as you live nearby, but I think they might have to shut down a few blocks of San Amaro if they intend to knock down the existing Hecht and build something in the same footprint.

By the way, did you bring back your old avatar pic? If so, kudos.

i did bring back the avatar of Cellia Cruz (Free Cuba's best female singer EVER) because i was getting lost in the muddle of avatars. i am standing out again.

miami as a city has changed dramatically over the last 50 years (obvious, right?). some of the old institutions (herald, the Non Group, Orange Bowl Committee etc) all fought the change. And so did UM. with respect to the latter, that's changing now with the third generation of very wealth Cuban Americans and other Hispanic Americans who are at the vanguard of change, which leads to the inevitable pushing out of some of the old guard.

Last edited:
I rode out Andrew (first) in an eastward-facing single in Pearson, and then in the hallway once Mahoney started taking damage and most of the trees in the parking lot bent in half.

Good times!
Wow.

Hecht is like a Soviet fortress. Shut those steel shutters and that dorm becomes impregnable.

Did you get any photos during or right after the storm?

That goes without saying but this would kind of cut deep and closer to home. To which my response if your family has their name on a building and you care about said building and legacy, continue to maintain and invest in it.

Towers have been slated for teardown for a while. Athletic Center is questionable, as I don't think we've had an aggressive expansion plan until now (outside of the IPF of course).

The Hecht family has been very good to UM, would like to see the new facility continue to incorporate the name.

I believe that George Jenkins name has been on the School of Business still, even as we continue to expand it. And George has been gone for a while, and I don't think Publix has given us much money since.

Advertisement
Towers have been slated for teardown for a while. Athletic Center is questionable, as I don't think we've had an aggressive expansion plan until now (outside of the IPF of course).

The Hecht family has been very good to UM, would like to see the new facility continue to incorporate the name.

I believe that George Jenkins name has been on the School of Business still, even as we continue to expand it. And George has been gone for a while, and I don't think Publix has given us much money since.
after shalala's multi billion fund raising program ended, she actually raised a ton of money (vomit), the 20 year master plan for UM was submitted, negotiated with the City and approved. i'm too lazy to find it right now but it's online. And no, there is not 40,000 seat stadium approved in the master plan, but there are tons of buildings so UM doesnt have to go back to the city every time it wants to build a building except for final construction plans. anyways, i suspect you'll find in that master plan whether the towers are slated to come down. that's a lot of dorm rooms that would come down

Advertisement
anchorman will GIF

"He spent his summer after college sleeping in front of a refrigerator. He moved into an apartment with an overweight Miami defensive tackle named Cortez Kennedy, cut off Kennedy's cake and nocturnal raids on the icebox the way he once had his own, drove him through three workouts a day and helped sculpt him into the No. 3 pick in the 1990 draft, the dawn of a dominating NFL career."
No mention of playing snake?

Wow.

Hecht is like a Soviet fortress. Shut those steel shutters and that dorm becomes impregnable.

Did you get any photos during or right after the storm?

I did not, personally. Wish we had iPhones back then. I never owned any photo equipment, but I was friends with people who did (I worked on the Hurricane and Ibis, and was even roommates with one of the photographers who shot nearly everything from that time on slide film). If you were there at the time, you might remember the knee-depth palm frond piles near the Fountain, and then Mulch Mountain out on Stanford Drive. I recall the semester started about 3 weeks late, right?

Technically, I was just starting my MBA and lived east of US 1 in an evac area, but I still had friends at Mahoney-Pearson and was able to ride out the storm with them, as very few people were on campus at that time, mostly those involved in Orientation, the Miami Hurricane newspaper, and WVUM. Plus all the RAs.

Mahoney-Pearson kept us boarded up and inside for about 48 hours, and then we ventured out to walk the campus. It was shocking and brutal to say the least, but fortunately most of the campus had buried power lines. South Miami and Kendall were not as lucky. A couple of my female friends from undergrad lived in an apartment near Dadeland that took a heavy hit. I started dating one of them a couple of months later, and we basically started living together in my apartment in Coral Gables.

Advertisement
Back