“Kids”. Stop it, call them what they are, treat them like that, and expect better.

futurecane

Redshirt Freshman
Over and over I see individuals, coaches, even our current head coach refer to the football players as “kids”.

They aren’t “kids”, and I say this as a father. Words mean things, you expect less from a child than an adult, and in turn they act accordingly. An 18-21 year old is a man or woman, and should be expected to behave as such. You can be drafted or enlist in the military at 18, can vote, can smoke, can buy firearms, can own property and enter into legal contracts.

They aren’t “kids”. Kids are in school (elementary, middle, and high), these are men that have chosen a path in football, as opposed to working at the age of 18.

Expect more, and stop this **** of calling grown men “kids”. The only child is you, if you do so.

Advertisement
Over and over I see individuals, coaches, even our current head coach refer to the football players as “kids”.

They aren’t “kids”, and I say this as a father. Words mean things, you expect less from a child than an adult, and in turn they act accordingly. An 18-21 year old is a man or woman, and should be expected to behave as such. You can be drafted or enlist in the military at 18, can vote, can smoke, can buy firearms, can own property and enter into legal contracts.

They aren’t “kids”. Kids are in school (elementary, middle, and high), these are men that have chosen a path in football, as opposed to working at the age of 18.

Expect more, and stop this **** of calling grown men “kids”. The only child is you, if you do so.
They just ripped Gurvan and Miami on the Monday night pregame for his horrible glitch play where he decided to go for the blocker instead of the guy with the ball. We byke!!!!
😐

Advertisement
If you're going to go this far may as well call anyone younger than you "Sir" & "Ma'am"
55 yr old talking to -> 22 year old "Yes sir"

It's just a figure of speech, everyone knows they're not kids.
Then why that figure of speech? Why not “players” or “men” or “team”?

I’m not opposed to referring to high schoolers as “kids”, but not college athletes. King is 23 or something, barely younger than me!

If we (as fans) and the staff were all on point about consistently referring to Steed, Jennings, Hall, etc... as men instead of boys/kids, they'd man up and tackle everyone in their vicinity. Makes perfect sense. Honestly, I'm not sure how that childish Nick Saban's "kids" (his words, not mine) manage to do it...

Last edited:
Advertisement
Just because a kid turns 18, does not mean he automatically turns into a man. Making a team does not mean they have the mindset of a man. Players in all sports do stupid things that only a kid would do. That is why they get suspended, fined and sometimes dropped from a team.

There are kids in the military who can't or won't take to the discipline that makes them mature into becoming a man. They get discharged early on in their attempt to try the military life.

There are kids of all ages who never grow up. They fumble their way through life not ever understanding why they usually are not a success at whatever life throws at them.

I disagree.

Turning 18 doesn't make you a man. Most of the players on the team are immature and were completely taken care of at their middle and high schools. Treated like little princes because they were stars on their football teams.

There are plenty of kids in the military. I was a dumbass kid in the military until I grew up.

Also, they go out and play like a kids pop-warner team so it doesn't even pass the eye test.

I disagree.

Turning 18 doesn't make you a man. Most of the players on the team are immature and were completely taken care of at their middle and high schools. Treated like little princes because they were stars on their football teams.

There are plenty of kids in the military. I was a dumbass kid in the military until I grew up.

Also, they go out and play like a kids pop-warner team so it doesn't even pass the eye test.

So… you agree. I’m not saying that an 19-21 year old can’t (or doesn’t) act like a kid, and in fact we do see that on a weekly basis. I’m arguing that if we act, talk, and behave as if they are “kids”, then we shouldn’t be surprised if that’s what we get.

They CAN be better, and SHOULD be. Part of that is expectations, of holding them to a higher standard.

Advertisement

Been saying this for years.

100% dead on

If yo *** can’t legally DRANK then you is the chirren!

Advertisement

Okay junior.

Advertisement
Back