“Check with me” Offense - negative for younger QBs, leads to worse output

futurecane

Redshirt Freshman
Full disclosure: never played offense in FB, so take this with a grain of salt. I did play FS, so somewhat relevant, I hope…

From a mathematical perspective, a “check with me” offense leads to overloading the QB with decisions, reduces their pre-snap orientation time, and leads to hasty decisions after the snap. I’ll explain:

Scenario 1, no “check with me”: QB has team starting to line up with ~25 seconds on the clock. Play calls for a slant by the slot receiver, with a skinny post behind on the left. RB is the checkdown option, leaking right. Team lined up correctly at 20 seconds, QB spends 5-10 seconds checking LB positions, rush spacing, and forms a picture in their head of what they want to see (scenarios, if LB steps up then slant over his head, if safety bites on slant then post, etc). Ball snapped at 10 seconds on play clock, positive play.

Scenario 2, “check with me offense”: QB has team starting to line up with ~25 seconds on the clock. Play calls for a slant by the slot receiver, with a skinny post behind on the left. RB is the checkdown option, leaking right. Team lined up correctly at 20 seconds, QB looks to sideline at 18 seconds and receives new play. Communication to team and new formation at 10 seconds, giving QB almost no time to review defensive spacing and formation, create scenario in head, and snap ball. Result: delay of game, or negative play.

I made it very simplistic, but you are asking a young QB to process too much, too quickly, and with a time crunch. As a FS, I spent quite a bit of time pre-play just reviewing the formation, down/distance, whatever eye candy or motion the offense was giving, and deciding what my focus in the first 1-2 seconds would be. The QB is no different, and this is hurting them rather than helping.

Advertisement
Full disclosure: never played offense in FB, so take this with a grain of salt. I did play FS, so somewhat relevant, I hope…

From a mathematical perspective, a “check with me” offense leads to overloading the QB with decisions, reduces their pre-snap orientation time, and leads to hasty decisions after the snap. I’ll explain:

Scenario 1, no “check with me”: QB has team starting to line up with ~25 seconds on the clock. Play calls for a slant by the slot receiver, with a skinny post behind on the left. RB is the checkdown option, leaking right. Team lined up correctly at 20 seconds, QB spends 5-10 seconds checking LB positions, rush spacing, and forms a picture in their head of what they want to see (scenarios, if LB steps up then slant over his head, if safety bites on slant then post, etc). Ball snapped at 10 seconds on play clock, positive play.

Scenario 2, “check with me offense”: QB has team starting to line up with ~25 seconds on the clock. Play calls for a slant by the slot receiver, with a skinny post behind on the left. RB is the checkdown option, leaking right. Team lined up correctly at 20 seconds, QB looks to sideline at 18 seconds and receives new play. Communication to team and new formation at 10 seconds, giving QB almost no time to review defensive spacing and formation, create scenario in head, and snap ball. Result: delay of game, or negative play.

I made it very simplistic, but you are asking a young QB to process too much, too quickly, and with a time crunch. As a FS, I spent quite a bit of time pre-play just reviewing the formation, down/distance, whatever eye candy or motion the offense was giving, and deciding what my focus in the first 1-2 seconds would be. The QB is no different, and this is hurting them rather than helping.
I’ve coached some high school 7v7 in Texas so take it for its worth.
But “look at me“ means you haven’t done your job of teaching the kids the whys and the whats to look for. And it means you don’t have trust in yourself in what play calls you are calling initially.

Playcalling is quite simple. I oftentimes know what the next play was going to be based off how the defense was lining up against the current play Or based on what you saw on the last play away from the play. But the team would also know why I call certain plays and they also know what to look for in the first 1-3 seconds and they KNOW what to audible within same formation.

Don’t see Gattis doing any of that and i still cringe at watching the wrs primarily using their body’s to catch most passes (with a few exceptions). That forces passes to be even more precise. Ugh.

I remember when I balled in college and we played teams like this. We would run “buff” basically we will show the offense one alignment pre snap knowing they would check to a specific play after a check with me to the sideline. Then when they got the play we would re align again. Same call just move players around to give the illusion we are in the position they want us in. Only offense that gave us trouble are the no huddles that already had the play in right after the one before. You can’t run check with me offense at a slow pace. You got to be on the ball and within 3-5 seconds from last play call has to be in or else you just wasting time

I love the play where we are down by multiple scores, time running out, we take our time to line up, we look like we are finally about to snap the ball........

Slow Motion Turtle GIF by BBC America

we melt the clock when we should be in hurry up.........

Melt Melting GIF by Cubemelt

the the qb puts his hands out like he is jesus and looks to sideline....
Jesus Christ GIF

clock melts and we burn a precious time out like a blunt..

smoke smoking GIF by Wiz Khalifa

Awesome play

Advertisement
Our qb’s are remote control dummies out there for Gattis. No sliding protection or audibles. It’s amazing how far we’ve fallen with qb play and trusting them. At least TVD could slide protections last year and that explains why the pass blocking was so much better.

Advertisement
Playcallers trying to play chess when its just checkers. They want to seem like the smartest person in the stadium. Ultimately oftentimes they are their own worst enemy.
Facts.

I’ve seen the defense show a look so many times this year then we check with Gattis then the D shows a different look lol. It was always a dummy call. This guy is nowhere near as smart as he thinks he is.

I remember in my practices it was 100 percent go for offense. Regardless of what happened, they had to race back to LOS for next play so we could run tempo, since we already knew what play was coming in. And if someone took too long, they were out the next series. I always felt that the faster the tempo the more likely you were going to take advantage of what you just saw from the defense. Slowing down allows their adjustments. Gives them time to figure out what to do next and or where their weakness was on the previous play. That’s how you take advantage of tendencies.

Advertisement
Orlavsky (sp?) was saying the D will just adjust the blitz. He also said we need pace, tempo, rhythm. The check with me as we do it ruins all that. That doesn’t mean we have to run fast break but Jesus we just have zero flow.
^This.
His point was that our O is predicated on reacting to the D.
Tempo makes the D react to you.

I love the play where we are down by multiple scores, time running out, we take our time to line up, we look like we are finally about to snap the ball........

Slow Motion Turtle GIF by BBC America

we melt the clock when we should be in hurry up.........

Melt Melting GIF by Cubemelt

the the qb puts his hands out like he is jesus and looks to sideline....
Jesus Christ GIF

clock melts and we burn a precious time out
To be fair that’s exactly the same thing that happened when Coley ran the offense in 2013. I distinctly recall Stephen Morris under center waiting, then looking to the sidelines, raising his arms up in seeming confusion, waiting, then hurrying back to the line of scrimmage to try to snap it before the play clock expired. And that happened more than once. In one game, I think we burned two time out in a row trying to get a play off.

To be fair that’s exactly the same thing that happened when Coley ran the offense in 2013. I distinctly recall Stephen Morris under center waiting, then looking to the sidelines, raising his arms up in seeming confusion, waiting, then hurrying back to the line of scrimmage to try to snap it before the play clock expired. And that happened more than once. In one game, I think we burned two time out in a row trying to get a play off.
The Rock Love GIF by The Kelly Clarkson Show

Advertisement
Facts.

I’ve seen the defense show a look so many times this year then we check with Gattis then the D shows a different look lol. It was always a dummy call. This guy is nowhere near as smart as he thinks he is.
It’s hilarious actually… they do it every single time.

Check with me is as dumb as still running pro style bro offenses in 2022

can we ban all gattis talk until the offseason, what is left to be said at this point

he sucks and we're all praying mario fires his *** once the season concludes

Advertisement
Back