‘88 and ‘84 Orange Bowls (national champs) on NBC Sports

NBC Sports is showing old Bowl games over the next few days. I may have missed a few already (SIAP). Some wins, some losses...all from the glory days.

The wins:

Tonight at midnight—‘88 OB vs. Oklahoma

Tomorrow at midnight—‘84 OB vs. Nebraska

The losses:

Tonight at 9:30– ‘95 OB vs Nebraska

Tomorrow at 9:30–‘87 Fiesta Bowl vs Pedo State

Advertisement
I’m in my early 30’s, was a big cane fan in the 90s but never had the attention span as a kid to actually sit and watch a whole college football game...

With that said I’m watching the 95 ship game vs Nebraska for the first time in a while. It’s the first quarter still, but my goodness... HOW THE H*** did we lose this game? The wheels must’ve completely fallen off! We look like the better team BY A MILE!

Advertisement
Its really frustrating watching these throwback games without a scorebug. Especially the basketball games

Advertisement
We couldn't get a stop on 3rd down and they just pounded the rock against our smaller guys like Ray, Rohan, and Sapp who were all exhausted on their last drive to take the lead.

Watching the 88 OB, lots of memories. My Dad took me and it was the first bowl game I went to.

Walsh threw some absolute dimes. I forgot how accurate he could be.

UM signed Jonathan Harris out of Houston in 1990.. he was originally committed to Texas A&M along with his hs teammate wr Tony Harrison.. Miami also recruited Harrison who stuck with A&M where he had a good career... Harris flipped to Miami

Advertisement
Chris T Jones and AC Tellison is putting on a show. Miami started the game well, but they got very sloppy in the second quarter and the defense got worn down in the 4th.

They should have beaten Nebraska. No doubt.
I agree but Cornhuskers beat us in our house when that really meant something. I took a small fortune off NE fans the night of our first NC and they were straight up men and took that loss the same. Bunch of them were staying across the street for us and I spend hours after the game buying them drinks and waiting for the sun to come up. They were about the top program at that moment losing to an upstart must have hurt. Gain my respect so I have to give them full credit for that win. Besides, we took three against them.

We couldn't get a stop on 3rd down and they just pounded the rock against our smaller guys like Ray, Rohan, and Sapp who were all exhausted on their last drive to take the lead.

And our OL didn't give Costa any time at all to throw the ball, so we kept going 3 and out in the 2nd half which also wore down our defense.

Advertisement
This wasn't the 1980s fat and slow Nebraska teams. They had front 7 speed. They nearly beat FSU with Charlie Ward the year before and demolished UF the next year (Tommie Frazier is still breaking tackles -- look up the video). The 95 version was one of the best teams ever.

Talk about a blast from the past. I just watched the 84 game and they even played the Hurricane Warning song. I've now heard it exactly three times ever.

This wasn't the 1980s fat and slow Nebraska teams. They had front 7 speed. They nearly beat FSU with Charlie Ward the year before and demolished UF the next year (Tommie Frazier is still breaking tackles -- look up the video). The 95 version was one of the best teams ever.
That 83/84 Nebraska team was far from Slow....Lol at Turner Gill and Irving Fryar slow...Even that All World OL was fast on their feet...

Last edited:
I’m watching the 84 Orange Bowl right now. Right now, I’m on the first bad part. (Where Nebraska comes back from 17-0)

Nebraska had 52 points per game, amazing even today. For context, Ohio State was apparently 3rd that year with 35 points a game.

Advertisement
Back