NFL ‘23 Draft

Would love to read your thoughts on the 49ers. Hard for me to judge when we don’t have a pick until the end of day 2.
The great part about the Niners is they didn’t really need any starters, except for maybe a QB lol, but even without having a pick in the 1st or 2nd round, they still got a ton of bang for their buck in adding pieces.

Ji’**** Brown was literally my favorite Safety in the draft & just like his former teammate JaQuan Brisker who got picked in the 3rd by the Bears last year, Brown is cut from the same mold. He’s got terrific Ball skills, range & is a really high IQ player that will fit really well into the Niner Defensive ethos.

Darrell Luter was a sleeper Corner I was high on & hoping we would get in the 4th round picks. IMO he was good enough to get picked in the 3rd & yall got him in the 5th, that’s premium value. A legit 6’0 kid with huge hands, great 4.46 speed & 40inch vert. Very smooth with natural athleticism, long armed framed with good transitional footwork in Phase & plays with good physicality in the leverage battles off the release.

Press cover Corner, but e’ll have to work on staying square through the top of route breaks & not getting too sunken vs Sort area routes, but with some Coaching can be a good & potential first backup behind Deommodore Lenoir.

Brayden Willis is an Oklahoma TE, Oklahoma players always do well in the league.

Dee Winters was a really nice underrated LB from TCU, ran a 4.49 at the Combine. Very fluid mover good in dropback pass coverage with good diagnosis ability. Another good fit in the Defensive ethos.

Overall very good quality haul even for not having a Day 1 pick.

Advertisement
1. SEC: 62 players selected

2. Big Ten: 55 players selected

3. ACC: 32 players selected

4. Big 12: 30 players selected

5. Pac 12: 27 players selected

6. AAC: 10 players selected

7. Sun Belt: 9 players selected

8. Independent: 7 players selected

9. MAC: 7 players selected

10. Mountain West: 5 players selected

11. C-USA: 3 players selected

Not conferences, but FCS and Division II teams produced 12 players selected from 12 different schools.

The Panthers draft haul was very interesting to the say the least lol

Jonathan Mingo & Chandler Zavala were pretty good picks, DJ Johnson & Jammie Robinson were head scratchers lol

I don’t know what to think about Bryce Young, I’m usually not a fan of Bama QB’s because they play with so much talent around them it’s hard to get a gauge on how good they actually are. He’s definitely a very accurate passer, has great poise & footwork in the pocket & is a great decision maker. It just comes down to how he deals with the NFL game at his size & if he has enough Arm to sustain the adjustments Defenses will make on him once they get a full season of him on tape.
He hasn’t had typical Bama skill guys around him the last couple years like say Mac Jones and others have.

He hasn’t had typical Bama skill guys around him the last couple years like say Mac Jones and others have.
Probably had the worst supporting cast in recent bama memory, i think he’s the best qb they’ve had just gotta see if it translates

Advertisement
The great part about the Niners is they didn’t really need any starters, except for maybe a QB lol, but even without having a pick in the 1st or 2nd round, they still got a ton of bang for their buck in adding pieces.

Ji’**** Brown was literally my favorite Safety in the draft & just like his former teammate JaQuan Brisker who got picked in the 3rd by the Bears last year, Brown is cut from the same mold. He’s got terrific Ball skills, range & is a really high IQ player that will fit really well into the Niner Defensive ethos.

Darrell Luter was a sleeper Corner I was high on & hoping we would get in the 4th round picks. IMO he was good enough to get picked in the 3rd & yall got him in the 5th, that’s premium value. A legit 6’0 kid with huge hands, great 4.46 speed & 40inch vert. Very smooth with natural athleticism, long armed framed with good transitional footwork in Phase & plays with good physicality in the leverage battles off the release.

Press cover Corner, but e’ll have to work on staying square through the top of route breaks & not getting too sunken vs Sort area routes, but with some Coaching can be a good & potential first backup behind Deommodore Lenoir.

Brayden Willis is an Oklahoma TE, Oklahoma players always do well in the league.

Dee Winters was a really nice underrated LB from TCU, ran a 4.49 at the Combine. Very fluid mover good in dropback pass coverage with good diagnosis ability. Another good fit in the Defensive ethos.

Overall very good quality haul even for not having a Day 1 pick.

Awesome breakdown, thank you. I definitely didn’t feel like we checked out just because we had late picks.

Glad to hear you’re high on Brown. We tend to have multiple guys nicked up in the secondary, so he’ll play in spots if he’s up to it. Same with Luter, Lenoir won’t play every snap and likely won’t start every game if previous seasons are a reliable predictor.

I know nothing about Willis or Winters. We obviously lost Al-Shair and I was curious if they see Winters eventually fitting that mold.

Little bit disappointed you didn’t have any notes on our Kicker, but you get what you pay for.

I like the Texans, Chiefs, Packers, Commanders, Cowboys, Jaguars, Vikings, Colts, Seahawks, Buccaneers, Dolphins & Niners draft hauls.

They all got good quality value for their picks.

They had 13 picks in the draft...but that was not necessarily by choice.

Baalke traded down twice in R1 and got the OL they were likely eying up. Good move.

Then then failure to trade up on Day 2 and Day 3 (they said they tried to trade up 16 times on Day 3...and nada) make the praise of that Day 1 move pretty silly. I hope Brenton Strange and Tank Bigsby end up being productive players, but on its face, its drafting a TE2 that projects as a role player and a guy that starts out as a RB4 on the roster (and obviously through attritition, he'll rise on the depth chart).

Then Day 3 is all special teamers, guys from the local pro day, and lotto tickets.

I think if you were in the room, they'd be fine with the haul they got, but would be disappointed that it didn't necessarily go the way they anticipated or projected, but they tried to make the best of it.

Way too many questions on its face for me, but we'll see.

Advertisement
They had 13 picks in the draft...but that was not necessarily by choice.

Baalke traded down twice in R1 and got the OL they were likely eying up. Good move.

Then then failure to trade up on Day 2 and Day 3 (they said they tried to trade up 16 times on Day 3...and nada) make the praise of that Day 1 move pretty silly. I hope Brenton Strange and Tank Bigsby end up being productive players, but on its face, its drafting a TE2 that projects as a role player and a guy that starts out as a RB4 on the roster (and obviously through attritition, he'll rise on the depth chart).

Then Day 3 is all special teamers, guys from the local pro day, and lotto tickets.

I think if you were in the room, they'd be fine with the haul they got, but would be disappointed that it didn't necessarily go the way they anticipated or projected, but they tried to make the best of it.

Way too many questions on its face for me, but we'll see.
Anton Harrison could start at either LT or RT & with him Walker Little yall got two Bookend Anchors on that will give one of the best OL’s in the league over the next 5 years.

Strange I think can be a good Receiving option at TE that will compete with Luke Farrell, Strange will get good targets.

I think Tyler Lacy was a great pick & will fit well at 5-Tech in that Defense. He was a pretty productive pass rusher even with that not being his primary job at OK ST. He’s an edge-setter with tremendous motor & really violent hands. That was a good value IMO. He’ll have to learn to get his pads down to win against leverage in the NFL, but he can be a young player that can rotate between Folorunso & Roy Robertson in both spots & add something to the Run stopping.

Yasir Abdullah fits perfectly in what IMO is one of the best LB corps in the league. He’s basically a smaller Foye & with his speed & instincts he’ll make contributions even if just as a situational Backer.

You’re a lot more down on that haul than you should be, you guys got a lot of good pieces, not necessarily starters, but rookies who can fill roles & still develop without having the pressure of being expected to be All-pro’s from the jump.

Awesome breakdown, thank you. I definitely didn’t feel like we checked out just because we had late picks.

Glad to hear you’re high on Brown. We tend to have multiple guys nicked up in the secondary, so he’ll play in spots if he’s up to it. Same with Luter, Lenoir won’t play every snap and likely won’t start every game if previous seasons are a reliable predictor.

I know nothing about Willis or Winters. We obviously lost Al-Shair and I was curious if they see Winters eventually fitting that mold.

Little bit disappointed you didn’t have any notes on our Kicker, but you get what you pay for.
Kickers are complete mystery...

Even if they’re great in college they could suck.

Even if they suck in college they could be great.

Advertisement
I mean literally every player on in that starting lineup is a blue chipper - that argument holds no weight with me. His numbers dropped off this year to last when his 1st round pick WRs left.

My problem with Young is that he's absolutely tiny and has a mediocre arm. I think the NFL is going to chew him up and spit him out.

I mean literally every player on in that starting lineup is a blue chipper - that argument holds no weight with me. His numbers dropped off this year to last when his 1st round pick WRs left.

My problem with Young is that he's absolutely tiny and has a mediocre arm. I think the NFL is going to chew him up and spit him out.
They brought in Harrell from Louisville and other transfers. Just because they’re Bama doesn’t mean they’re Bama quality or they haven’t missed. I mean they’ve brought in multiple starters on the ol the last couple years. Their skill guys the last couple years have been very meh. Harrell alone tells you they were pretty desperate. He didn’t have near the talent around him as Tua, Mack of Jalen. Not even close.

Anton Harrison could start at either LT or RT & with him Walker Little yall got two Bookend Anchors on that will give one of the best OL’s in the league over the next 5 years.

Strange I think can be a good Receiving option at TE that will compete with Luke Farrell, Strange will get good targets.

I think Tyler Lacy was a great pick & will fit well at 5-Tech in that Defense. He was a pretty productive pass rusher even with that not being his primary job at OK ST. He’s an edge-setter with tremendous motor & really violent hands. That was a good value IMO. He’ll have to learn to get his pads down to win against leverage in the NFL, but he can be a young player that can rotate between Folorunso & Roy Robertson in both spots & add something to the Run stopping.

Yasir Abdullah fits perfectly in what IMO is one of the best LB corps in the league. He’s basically a smaller Foye & with his speed & instincts he’ll make contributions even if just as a situational Backer.

You’re a lot more down on that haul than you should be, you guys got a lot of good pieces, not necessarily starters, but rookies who can fill roles & still develop without having the pressure of being expected to be All-pro’s from the jump.
I like Anton Harrison. Should be plug n play at RT and if/when Cam Robinson comes back, maybe move to LG for the time being until the team figures out what to do with Robinson.

Day 2 is where things get bad. Its not even the players...its the process. Without directly saying as such, its pretty obvious the front office was eying up Cam Smith in R2 and they couldn't pull the trigger on the move up despite having 12(!) picks to use to GET YOUR GUY. Strange is...fine. He's like Jonnu Smith, IMO. Complimentary piece. But drafted at least a full round too early. Same can be said about Tank Bigsby. The failure to move up in R2 just shook the front office and now you're stuck with a ton of cards you have to play. With the reported 16 times they tried to trade up on Day 3, there was also another 4 times to move back into Day 2, nevermind the unreported number in the second round.

Day 3 is just a bunch of lottery tickets anyway...but felt right away they were just going for special teamers and scratch offs. They just took 10 scratch off lotto tickets on defense and hope some of them hit. Tyler Lacy is there as a possible replacement for Smoot. Yasir Abdullah...they were looking for a pure smaller pass rusher...which is fine, he's got a roster spot and the UL staff loved this guy.. Antonio Johnson from aTm has some good tape...some bad tape...he's fine in R5.

How many of these Baalke picks will earn a second contract with the team? History says not many, if any at all, so its tough to buy in. Nothing against the players as I see a lot of good, its the process.

Advertisement
They brought in Harrell from Louisville and other transfers. Just because they’re Bama doesn’t mean they’re Bama quality or they haven’t missed. I mean they’ve brought in multiple starters on the ol the last couple years. Their skill guys the last couple years have been very meh. Harrell alone tells you they were pretty desperate. He didn’t have near the talent around him as Tua, Mack of Jalen. Not even close.
I have a Bama fan in my close circle who went there as an alumni, so not a fake fan.

He was stunned by Young's ability to handle pressure when he played against us. He said our D-Line kicked their **** in multiple times and he stayed calm and delivered the ball as if it was his 20th game.

Young is good. You don't see too many college QBs keep his eyes downfield like that. Thats a rare trait.

I like the Texans, Chiefs, Packers, Commanders, Cowboys, Jaguars, Vikings, Colts, Seahawks, Buccaneers, Dolphins & Niners draft hauls.

They all got good quality value for their picks.

What do you think of Asim Dallas picked up? I think that pick in particular is sneaky good. He’ll be developed and slide inside. Only been playing OL since his sophomore year so he’s far from a finished product.

Very happy overall with Dallas’ draft.

What do you think of Asim Dallas picked up? I think that pick in particular is sneaky good. He’ll be developed and slide inside. Only been playing OL since his sophomore year so he’s far from a finished product.

Very happy overall with Dallas’ draft.
He had a good Combine grade & I definitely can see him as an OG in the league, he’s too small to play T, but at G can be a really good puller in the run game. He’ll be perfect behind Tyler Smith.

I think Luke Schoonmaker, Deuce Vaughn, DeMarvion Overshow, Viliami Fehoko & Mazi Smith were all very good picks & great fits. Eric Scott Jr & Jalen Brooks were head scratchers, but they’re late 6th & 7th round picks, so at best you’re just taking them for Special Teams & whatnot.

But the top bulk of the haul was very good for the Boys IMO, especially Schoonmaker he had a really good athleticism score at the Combine & can be a legit replacement for Dalton Schultz. Dak will utilize that kid in the intermediate routes & Red Zone, plus he’s a really good blocker who will help out in the run game.

He had a good Combine grade & I definitely can see him as an OG in the league, he’s too small to play T, but at G can be a really good puller in the run game. He’ll be perfect behind Tyler Smith.

I think Luke Schoonmaker, Deuce Vaughn, DeMarvion Overshow, Viliami Fehoko & Mazi Smith were all very good picks & great fits. Eric Scott Jr & Jalen Brooks were head scratchers, but they’re late 6th & 7th round picks, so at best you’re just taking them for Special Teams & whatnot.

But the top bulk of the haul was very good for the Boys IMO, especially Schoonmaker he had a really good athleticism score at the Combine & can be a legit replacement for Dalton Schultz. Dak will utilize that kid in the intermediate routes & Red Zone, plus he’s a really good blocker who will help out in the run game.
What are your thoughts on Eli Ricks not being drafted?

Advertisement
Back