Jarren Williams Scouting Report

HighSeas

Sophomore
It's dull here, I have a cold and I'm bored so I evaluated Williams' game against Dacula that's posted on Youtube.

Arm

• Way better arm talent than I realized from watching his highlights
  • Throws lasers within 15 yards, squeezing throws into tiny windows
  • Effortlessly pushes the ball down the field
  • Can't judge accuracy/ball placement off highlights but this film was revealing - seemed like every throw was placed perfectly hitting receivers in stride at all levels off the field
  • Comfortable and accurate throwing on the move to either side of his body
  • Has a bit of a windup/elongated motion but his arm action is so fast that it's a non-issue

Athleticism

• Again he's more athletic than I gave him credit for previously
  • Elusive in the pocket but doesn't always show a great feel for anticipating the rush
  • Acceleration downhill surprises defenders as he explodes through crowded pockets
  • Creates space as a runner with spins and jukes. Knows how to set up defenders in space
  • Doesn't look that imposing physically but he runs with strength and balance, driving through contact
  • Kelly Bryant is an obvious athletic comparison

Intangibles

• I've been very impressed when I hear him speak in interviews but I'll stick to what I saw and didn't see on film
  • Central Gwinnett ran a very basic spread offense without progression pass concepts so he wasn't really asked to make reads
  • More of a see-it, throw-it passer given the last point
  • Central Gwinnett went empty a lot and Dacula blitzed enough to make Gregg Williams look conservative. Williams didn't make any checks at the line so I assume he wasn't given that freedom because some of their plays had no chance vs. pressure
  • Despite the constant pass rush there were only 1-2 plays where Williams panicked and sped up his process unnecessarily. Rosier is similarly strong in this regard
Williams has the talent to be a special QB. QB prospects with his caliber of athleticism seldom show the accuracy, intelligence and intent to be pocket passers. Marcus Mariota comes to mind but Williams has a stronger arm and more natural, dynamic running skills. I anticipate a redshirt year where he can learn the offense and adjust to the speed of the game before he takes over as the starter in 2019 (sorry Perry stans).

The future is bright. Go Canes!

Last edited:
Advertisement
Can I get a resume so I know how to value your opinion on QB's ? Right now without knowing you I have you ahead of D$ on QB's , who else should you be put ahead of ?

Seas, who's upside/ceiling do you like better, Williams or Perry?

Perry was more raw than Williams coming in that’s for sure. Love both of the qbs ability as they both can make all the throws. May the best man win

Advertisement
Can I get a resume so I know how to value your opinion on QB's ? Right now without knowing you I have you ahead of D$ on QB's , who else should you be put ahead of ?

I've done well evaluating NFL QBs recently. Haven't really watched full games of HS QBs very often to be honest.

Tough call. Williams has better physical tools but Perry has unique ability to improvise and create plays outside of structure, and he can still make all the throws physically.

Ultimately I trust Williams more to live up to his potential because his game is more refined. He can thrive inside of structure, be featured in the running game and still use his athleticism to extend plays or scramble. Perry is a wild card because if he is more selective/careful with his wild pocket movement and unconventional style he could be a Russell Wilson or Baker Mayfield type. But it can be tough to build a consistent offense around a QB like that without an elite OL.

To me, Williams is substance and Perry is style. It's good to have both competing but one will eventually transfer imo because you have to design a different offense for each. Williams fits seamlessly into the offense Richt has shown so far, fwiw.

I've done well evaluating NFL QBs recently. Haven't really watched full games of HS QBs very often to be honest.

Tough call. Williams has better physical tools but Perry has unique ability to improvise and create plays outside of structure, and he can still make all the throws physically.

Ultimately I trust Williams more to live up to his potential because his game is more refined. He can thrive inside of structure, be featured in the running game and still use his athleticism to extend plays or scramble. Perry is a wild card because if he is more selective/careful with his wild pocket movement and unconventional style he could be a Russell Wilson or Baker Mayfield type. But it can be tough to build a consistent offense around a QB like that without an elite OL.

To me, Williams is substance and Perry is style. It's good to have both competing but one will eventually transfer imo because you have to design a different offense for each. Williams fits seamlessly into the offense Richt has shown so far, fwiw.

In Williams senior film he showed that same ability as perry to improvise if not more
https://www.hudl.com/video/3/3878790/5a00f8f7b023311530ead9f9

If Richt's offense up to now has shown us something consistently, it's that we'll need a QB who can do more than operate within the framework. In addition to accuracy, we'd need improvisation. It's not a comment on preference for Perry or Williams. I haven't seen either of them against sufficient competition to say very much.

If Richt's offense up to now has shown us something consistently, it's that we'll need a QB who can do more than operate within the framework. In addition to accuracy, we'd need improvisation. It's not a comment on preference for Perry or Williams. I haven't seen either of them against sufficient competition to say very much.
Williams play in 7A which is the highest competition in Georgia. Not sure what level of comp perry played in. Regardless Perry appears to be making a move based on the latest practice reports

Last edited:
Advertisement
Williams play in 7A which is the highest competition in Georgia. Not sure what level of comp perry played in. Regardless Perry appears to making a move based on the latest practice reports
He could have played in only HS All-Star games against the nation's best and I still wouldn't consider it sufficient competition to add anything right now.

Williams play in 7A which is the highest competition in Georgia. Not sure what level of comp perry played in. Regardless Perry appears to making a move based on the latest practice reports
He could have played in only HS All-Star games against the nation's best and I still wouldn't consider it sufficient competition to add anything right now.

Fully expect one of them to start next season. Seen enough of malik

His evals are more reliable and safer than your **** clips.

Advertisement
In Williams senior film he showed that same ability as perry to improvise if not more
https://www.hudl.com/video/3/3878790/5a00f8f7b023311530ead9f9

The difference I see is Williams will improvise when the play structure breaks down whereas Perry often creates chaos on his own volition by scrambling around and extending plays on purpose. If you watch the all-22 film of Russell Wilson he often misses open receivers within structure and instead runs around trying to do backyard football. When it works he looks like the MVP but other times the offense can't get in a rhythm. Perry did similar things in HS but I'm sure the coaching staff is working on his footwork and such. Still you don't wanna neuter his creativity because it could be a major weapon on 3rd and longs with guys like Thomas and Harley and Jordan running around with extra time to get open.

I can live with Russell Wilson, if that's our second option, and it sounds as though we can win with either. Thanks.

Really unfortunate that Perry didn't EE last yr. Think he could have won the job straight up.

All I know is there is 0 chance Shireffs ever plays here. **** he should literally be 4th string qb AT BEST, and thats with Williams taking a RS. Honestly hope he transfers, He's just not Miami caliber.
And honestly at this point I just want one of the freshman (Perry, Weldon, or Williams) to get the starting job. I don't want another year of Rosier. Let Rosier grad transfer for all I care.

Advertisement
I like Perry's release point a little better than Williams. However,I feel Williams is the better prospect.

NEVER fail.

Last off-season, Perry was the next Charlie Ward or Deshaun Watson. Can’t miss prospect who was going to set the college football world on fire.

Now, we’ve signed a guy even better than that. Lol

Here’s what I know:

Baker Mayfield and Lamar Jackson are the last 2 Heisman Trophy winners. Neither of them were can’t miss QB prospects.

So, I’m hopeful CMR doesn’t go the “who is likely to be the better NFL QB” route most of these message board evaluations are based on, and plays the guy who is the best leader and playmaker.

Because in the college game, which is all I care about, the QB making the most plays usually wins the game.

No NFL team is taking JT Barrett over Sam Darnold. But every college fan would take Barrett’s resume and production over Darnold’s for their own team.

Who said “can’t miss” dude is 4 star that if he works hard and it clicks will have a promising career.

Advertisement
Back