Coaching Yep, we're playing with the big boys now....

Status
Not open for further replies.
SERIOUS QUESTION:

What is expectation of Top 10 salary? Conference competiveness? Conference Championships? CFBPO appearances?

Nattys?

I get a Top 3 salary all of the above, but Top 10? Top 15?

Where is the line between "you better go undefeated and hoist the hardware" vs "we need consistent good seasons"?
Personally I think it’s win your conference and see where the chips fall nationally.

Advertisement
Wasn’t long ago I would have told you David Shaw was a top 3 coach in college football. I think he’s been lapped in offensive philosophy but still incredible what he’s done there.
Shaw might have the best/most secure job in college ball. No idea he made that kind of scratch. He’ll really have to tank to be shown the door. 8wins in Palo Alto is a good year. That being said he has to deal with the weirdos who live in the area.

Go Canes!

SERIOUS QUESTION:

What is expectation of Top 10 salary? Conference competiveness? Conference Championships? CFBPO appearances?

Nattys?

I get a Top 3 salary all of the above, but Top 10? Top 15?

Where is the line between "you better go undefeated and hoist the hardware" vs "we need consistent good seasons"?
Well half that list have made the CFP, and the other half with the exception of stanford seem to have that as their goal every season. 4 in the list have won it all.

I would say the expectation of a top 10 salary is conference championships.

Advertisement
Brian Kelly is destined to fail. That’s not a tough call at all, he’s a horrible fit for them and is already blowing it.

Not being a homer, but I think Cristobal was the best hire of all this year. He’s the best fit for the job he took and the most likely to turn around the program he took over, IMO.

Riley won’t do bad either.

Shaw has won 2 Rose Bowls, had 5 seasons of winning 10 games or more, and won 3 PAC 12 titles.

Problem is he is trending down big time.

4-8
4-2
3-9

Last 3 years.

I'm on other side of Kelly Argument.

I think if he can win at ND he can win at LSU with more talent. He has won at every level of his career. He is a sleeze ball, and imo a much better fit at LSU than ND.

lincoln riley should not be earning more than saban. but 9.9 goes a **** of a lot further in alabama than 10 does in LA...
Not to mention state income tax. All said and done Lincoln doesn't end up the highest paid anymore. LOL

I thought Saban’s contract requires that he is the highest paid coach with an automatic raise for that purpose/.
the clause in Saban's contract always makes him the highest paid coach in the SEC i believe.

Advertisement
Shaw has won 2 Rose Bowls, had 5 seasons of winning 10 games or more, and won 3 PAC 12 titles.

Problem is he is trending down big time.

4-8
4-2
3-9

Last 3 years.

I'm on other side of Kelly Argument.

I think if he can win at ND he can win at LSU with more talent. He has won at every level of his career. He is a sleeze ball, and imo a much better fit at LSU than ND.

Kelly will win 10-11 games every year. That's what makes him a terrific coach; he sets the floor pretty high.

The problem with him at LSU I see is I don't think he'll ever beat Bama while Saban is there. If there's one consistency about his time at ND (at least since 2016), it's that he'll crush it when he's got more talent than the other team, but will struggle if he's at a talent disadvantage.

I thought Saban’s contract requires that he is the highest paid coach with an automatic raise for that purpose/.

I think his escalator guarantees him the average of the top 3 or something similar. That $9.9M is because his escalator kicked in. He was making in the $8M's.

Advertisement
the clause in Saban's contract always makes him the highest paid coach in the SEC i believe.
It's not even that. It's this:

Saban’s contract states that the Crimson Tide will be required to increase Saban’s “total guaranteed annual compensation” if it becomes less than the average of either the three highest-paid SEC coaches or the five highest-paid FBS coaches...

but the national media and SEC slurpers essentially carry the narrative that he has a clause that guarantees him to be the highest paid coach in ALL of sports no matter pro or college or even American based.

Funny how none of the media pearl clutchers sooooo worried about us (not) using UHealth "covid revenue" for football ever raise an eyebrow to the (fake) Sabag compensation narrative when Alabamy is a top 5 poorest state and Baga is a state institution.

Advertisement
Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
Back