Why it’s so hard to recruit/beat Ohio State

Random data point #1:
A couple days before the Fiesta Bowl game against the buckeyes a local news station did a story where they interviewed a handful of local business owners asking them who they wanted to win. To a person, each one said that Ohio State winning would be better for their business and the state's economy as a whole.

Random Data Point #2:
We were late getting to the stadium for the Fiesta Bowl game against Ohio State and had to park on the other side of downtown Tempe. As we walked through the town, every single bar was filled to capacity with buckeye fans. I remember joking that these morons are going to miss the game while sitting around drinking.

Then I got into the stadium and the entire stadium was buckeye fans. My estimate is that 150K+ buckeye fans went to Tempe for that game, the bulk of which didnt even try to get tickets. They have a MASSIVE fan base.

Advertisement
Anyone who doesn't understand why Ohio State can beat us for recruits is just being an unrealistic homer.

Aside from the money, NFL draft success, playoff relevance and everything else being mentioned, sometimes kids just want a particular experience.

I am a UM graduate and and still live in South Florida. Despite that (and to some degree because of it) my daughter wanted nothing to do with local colleges. I couldn't have gotten her to go to UM no matter what they offered because it wasn't the experience she wanted.

She wanted to leave the state and experience a big campus and change of seasons. She ended up at ...wait for it...Ohio State and will graduate this Spring. If you have something negative to say about that I will simply respond that you can **** off because I am not an ******* that puts my desires above my kid's.

If you can't see the appeal of playing football against a traditional rival on a perfect Fall day in front of 100,000+ in a stadium right on a campus that is buzzing with energy all day...well you just have orange and green sunglasses on. ****, I will occasionally see that and be jealous. Even in my days at the Orange Bowl, the game day experience left a lot to be desired. But we were great on the field so it was worth it. I would imagine that it is even harder to get anywhere close to that at HRS with the distance being twice as far and no Metrorail.

Miami is just different. Some kids will want to to play there because they grew up dreaming of it. Some kids will want to play there because they love the weather, culture, atmosphere etc. But some will prefer something else. Get over it. You don't win them all. Take your best shot and move on.

You are a better parent than me, I'd have disowned my child for such actions!

It's a monolith up here. I hate their fkn guts but you can't drive down 315, pass the taint stadium and all that's around without realizing this city breathes money into it. It's their GD life. This city shuts TF down during games and all eyes are on it. Then there's the Arena district with NHL and MLS teams. I'd imagine the NBA will be here next.

Lost in the shuffle is it’s Columbus, OH. WTF else are they gonna do in that place. As has been stated many times, Miami is NOT, has never been, and never will be, a college town.

Not that I disagree but what you state, but that doesn't answer the question why. High draft picks and winning are more the byproducts of doing things right rather the cause. Once doing the "right things" is established, it creates a positive feedback loop that reinforces itself and snowballs into wins, easier recruiting, national championships, etc.

Howard and JJ established it once, Butch reset it when he came. You almost have to intentionally ***** it up ... which we did.

U literally just answered the why. Lol

Advertisement
Lost in the shuffle is it’s Columbus, OH. WTF else are they gonna do in that place. As has been stated many times, Miami is NOT, has never been, and never will be, a college town.
Columbus isn't Miami but it isn't Tuscaloosa either. It isn't a bad City and is a lot larger than I realized. Way bigger than most college towns.

Columbus isn't Miami but it isn't Tuscaloosa either. It isn't a bad City and is a lot larger than I realized. Way bigger than most college towns.
It’s also the state capital so that would account for some it’s size.

Alabama created the blueprint for winning in modern football. Georgia followed the blueprint and now they’re on top.

No excuse for Miami not to follow the same blueprint and I believe Mario is doing his best to do that.

Y’all really need to lay off the excuses. These teams are literally an open book as far as how and why they win, it’s on Miami to keep up or shut up. “Oh it’s so hard to recruit against these guys”….honestly STFU. It’s only hard because we MAKE it hard, because we’ve spent 30+ years pinching pennies and being cheap as ****, to where now we’re playing catch up.

I’m sorry but YOU dug the hole you’re in, Miami. Don’t expect sympathy now just because digging yourself out is difficult and expensive. Shouldn’t have been in this situation in the first place but here we are, so suck it up and spend money

Advertisement
Even though they’re soft as Charmin and Ryan Day is a p…. They have an unbelievable infrastructure led by Gene Smith. The takedown of Michigan is pretty high level. This Michigan story is 100% driven by them.

You’re basically competing against a high level corporation that is completely focused on one thing.
jim carrey disbelief GIF

Exactly. When you live in Columbus, Tuscaloosa, Norman, and all these other sleepy towns football is life because there literally is nothing else. The Canes are competing with a million other factors. Miami and USC are just on a totally different planet when you discuss college football, IMO.

"I'm not going to take less money to sign with the Chargers than I was making at Ohio State!"

~ Joe Bosa (in a video that I saw with my own eyes that is nowhere to be found on the internet anymore).

Big, BIG Bidnizz this college feetball stuff.
"I'm not going to take less money to sign with the Chargers than I was making at Ohio State!"

~ Joe Bosa (in a video that I saw with my own eyes that is nowhere to be found on the internet anymore).

Big, BIG Bidnizz this college feetball stuff.

Anyone who doesn't understand why Ohio State can beat us for recruits is just being an unrealistic homer.

Aside from the money, NFL draft success, playoff relevance and everything else being mentioned, sometimes kids just want a particular experience.

I am a UM graduate and and still live in South Florida. Despite that (and to some degree because of it) my daughter wanted nothing to do with local colleges. I couldn't have gotten her to go to UM no matter what they offered because it wasn't the experience she wanted.

She wanted to leave the state and experience a big campus and change of seasons. She ended up at ...wait for it...Ohio State and will graduate this Spring. If you have something negative to say about that I will simply respond that you can **** off because I am not an ******* that puts my desires above my kid's.

If you can't see the appeal of playing football against a traditional rival on a perfect Fall day in front of 100,000+ in a stadium right on a campus that is buzzing with energy all day...well you just have orange and green sunglasses on. ****, I will occasionally see that and be jealous. Even in my days at the Orange Bowl, the game day experience left a lot to be desired. But we were great on the field so it was worth it. I would imagine that it is even harder to get anywhere close to that at HRS with the distance being twice as far and no Metrorail.

Miami is just different. Some kids will want to to play there because they grew up dreaming of it. Some kids will want to play there because they love the weather, culture, atmosphere etc. But some will prefer something else. Get over it. You don't win them all. Take your best shot and move on.
I went to see Miami vs Ohio State in 2010 I think it was. Even though we lost, it was a great ******* time out there and in large part because of the OSU folks. Thats some ****ed up ****. We beat yall *** and we still gonna make sure you enjoy yourself lol their fans didn’t talk **** to me much at all. Smdh

Advertisement
Even though they’re soft as Charmin and Ryan Day is a p…. They have an unbelievable infrastructure led by Gene Smith. The takedown of Michigan is pretty high level. This Michigan story is 100% driven by them.

You’re basically competing against a high level corporation that is completely focused on one thing.
The resources pushed into that program are whatever they need plus 15%. A money machine in a football CRAZY state.

This isn’t the place for you. Go join an Ohio State forum.

Advertisement
Oh and I’m not mentioning Ohio State because they haven’t won ****. They’re Texas with snow. Alabama and Georgia are the schools we’re chasing, not Ohio State’s underachieving asses
I’d take their last 20 years football achievements over ours😖. So we are still behind the Nutcrackers. Not long now until Mario and his staff have well oil machine. It’s coming😈

This isn’t the place for you. Go join an Ohio State forum.
And here I have wasted my whole life trying to meet your standards only to fail here in the end. How will I ever recover from the shame. :rolleyes:

You guys it have it all wrong.

It isn't a weakness to recognize the strengths of your foe.

It is a strength when (and if) you beat them anyway.

Cover story. The actual video, WHICH I SAW, was taken of him in the Gas Lamp district in San Diego.

What you posted is the cover story.

Good points. The stadium being at Hard Rock has always been the scape goat. The majority of the Miami fanbase attending games are not from the students and alumni. They're from the local community. So, an on-campus stadium would still be an issue unless you make it a small one like Baylor.

I think a sold out Hard Rock is just as impressive as the crowds at OSU, Michigan, or any other large capacity stadium.

When the team starts winning conference titles and making CFP appearances, the narrative will change to Miami plays in the best stadium in college football.

Advertisement
Back