Coaching Underperforming Recruiters on Staff (aka Deadweight according to Feldman)

Imagine looking at a recruiting ranking and thinking that tells you anything about the recruiting staff and their work ethic. Our HC was having to do way too much with that aspect. Mario is viewed as the best in the game for a reason but as a whole this was a bad staff in that dept.

If most of this staff returned you wouldn’t have seen a top 7 class , it’s about building relationships and that wasn’t going on minus a couple people.
Exactly. Like i said on another post. Just Because it says So and SO was the primary does not mean they did it.

Advertisement
I mean when I’m **** near 65 I’m probably not going to want to work very hard either.

Mario is very demanding of his staff the same way Kirby/Saban are.

Hopefully these new hires are ready to work.
At 65, it’s not a necessarily a question of want to but can you. One can still add value just not the 12-16 hours a day required of CFB coaches.

I would include Field as somebody who’s pulling his weigh. He snagged 2of the best YEs in the country early and kept them even though they both were on the other sides of the countr but yea this staff severely underwhelmed on the trail and Mario had to take over to get his guys. I believe a partial reason that we didn’t see Gattis lose playcalling privileges is because Mario was so wrapped in recruiting he couldn’t get involved in something else.

Didn't Cribby say Field is replaceable too lol

Advertisement
Imagine looking at a recruiting ranking and thinking that tells you anything about the recruiting staff and their work ethic. Our HC was having to do way too much with that aspect. Mario is viewed as the best in the game for a reason but as a whole this was a bad staff in that dept.

If most of this staff returned you wouldn’t have seen a top 7 class , it’s about building relationships and that wasn’t going on minus a couple people.
Just to piggy back on your response a little bit...

Top 7 should be the floor of what Miami under Cristobal should be pulling in recruiting. He's getting paid insane money to do better than 7th in recruiting or whatever. It isn't special. Its nice...but its not special. We got some obvious dawgs in the class, but swung and missed on...a lot more than you'd like in Y1 which should be a honeymoon class...one we anticipated to be quite a bit higher.

Advertisement
I don’t claim to be super insightful on this topic but Strong and Steele were both in their 60’s and Steele didn’t have social media

It’s a delicate balance to bring today’s recruiting prowess (technology) and a good years of experience.

I’m my mind, for coordinators, late 30’s to 55 is a sweet spot. Your positional coaches, who do the heavy lifting in day to day recruiting could definitely be younger

I'm off the belief that Field is a recruiting asset to whatever team he is on. But I also believe he's a bigger asset as an off-field recruiting type of guy.

In an on-field position, I think it's fine. It certainly won't hurt us. But I don't look it him as this irreplaceable piece of the puzzle. Now I think if you can get him in that Mike Rumph role then that's where he would really thrive and be a major leg up compared to a lot of other programs.

Mario wanted to stabilize the ship with proven experience in year 1. That resulted in dusty entitled staff that didn't want to recruit. Plainly put, it failed. Even if things had gone great on the field a guy like Steele or Strong was a short term band aid and not a long term solution.

Year 2 is now here, Mario has been able to fully assess the program and roster. He's now building a younger, hungrier staff with higher upside.

Advertisement
Mario wanted to stabilize the ship with proven experience in year 1. That resulted in dusty entitled staff that didn't want to recruit. Plainly put, it failed. Even if things had gone great on the field a guy like Steele or Strong was a short term band aid and not a long term solution.

Year 2 is now here, Mario has been able to fully assess the program and roster. He's now building a younger, hungrier staff with higher upside.
Hopefully he's finally got it right and Year 3 brings stability.

This has been talked about numerous times already.

We finished #1 ACC and #6 nationally (on3) so the recruiting isn’t the issue.
we seem to jump up and down about assistant coaches with recruitment skills....... lets jump up and down by hiring coaches who can develop players regardless of how many stars they have,,,,,,

When the staff was brought on last year, some of the coaches had a well deserved reputation for being great recruiters. Then a few months back, @Cribby dropped a bombshell, he said something to the effect that this was a "Meh" recruiting staff. Only Mario and DVD were pulling their weight recruiting. That's right. Everyone except Mario and DVD.

everyone GIF

Found Cribby's quotes:

I don’t think there’s anybody on staff I’d lose sleep over if they departed. Mario is the key cog and TVD / Cooney on the off field staff. It’s actually a quite meh recruiting staff.
Remember when somebody here said” there was only a couple people carrying their weight with recruiting and it’s surprising a Mario staff would lack great recruiters”
I was shocked by this staff when it was announced. I expected an avengers type recruiting staff , It ended up being Mario and the averagers

I was scratching my head at that one, even to the point of wondering if Cribby knew what he was talking about. Just too many alpha recruiters on this staff for that to be true. Subsequent to that, I've gotten confirmation that Cribby was 100% correct. And then Feldman drops the "dead weight" description of the staff. We know that what Feldman reports is coming from Mario. He doesn't make stuff up from unnamed sources.

My bad Cribby, I didn't want to believe it was true, but it was. Sometimes the medicine doesn't taste good, but you've got to take it anyway.

In this thread, we'll track the new coaching hires and see how they compare from a recruiting standpoint.

Clear Recruiting Upgrades

• Nicholson over Strong (based on current results, not previous year's reputation)

Push

• TBD

Clear Recruiting Downgrades

• TBD
After the five years I’ve given this site with info I’m hurt to know you thought I was full of ****. All the blood and tears I’ve shed and that’s how you feel ? I’m hurt dawg.

Advertisement
It would be a shock to me if mustache Feld is the last Oregon man standing. Seems like Addae, big Joe, and Field could all have different jobs before Spring practice. After the abomination that was last season, I’m here for a staff reset.

Say what you want about big Joe, but he did his part getting Francis to Miami. That signature was worth more than just one five star. Field’s recruiting wins are documented. I really just want Addae replaced. Id be ambivalent about Big Joe because he creates a real Polynesian pipeline while id hope if Field is replaced he could still work off field like he did at Oregon.

Last edited:
After the five years I’ve given this site with info I’m hurt to know you thought I was full of ****. All the blood and tears I’ve shed and that’s how you feel ? I’m hurt dawg.
This is what happens when I try to reconcile the irreconcilable. Complete and total cognitive dissonance. Finally, broke down and admitted you were right.

How can an entire staff of pitbulls on the trail turn out to be chiwawas? You have to admit, its hard to digest. In fact, people on this thread are likely saying, yea, most of them may be bad, but [insert your favorite coach name here] can't be included in this list right?

Bored Dog Show GIF by NOWNESS

This is what happens when I try to reconcile the irreconcilable. Complete and total cognitive dissonance. Finally, broke down and admitted you were right.

How can an entire staff of pitbulls on the trail turn out to be chiwawas? You have to admit, its hard to digest. In fact, people on this thread are likely saying, yea, most of them may be bad, but [insert your favorite coach name here] can't be included in this list right?

Bored Dog Show GIF by NOWNESS

6A0BB63D-9AAF-415B-A304-99862F3D462F.gif

Advertisement
Back