This Team's a Big Disappointment

I disagree with you main point. We proved last year and the year before you can make a final four or deep run without true bigs. Mid majors prove it every year. There is more than one way to play this game and I believe L has the ability to play to the best of his teams abilities (although this year so far is not great). If we had a dominate big (tall guy) I’m sure they would be utilized but those are few and far between. I don’t think L is going to stick a 7’ Out there just because he’s tall.

I do agree we needed 2 more portal player this year and one of those should have been a taller guy but I’m sure it’s hard to find someone like that to come in the portal and not start.
I'd have to be a fool to argue that it can't work. As you pointed out the last two years and plenty of constant mid majors probe it can. However for me what made the last two years work as well as most of those kids comes down to having options in how you approach the game. For instance the last two years when the team would run cold shooting we had Wong or Jordan what's his face who could switch up the pace and get you some easy buckets. In theory I think that's what Cleveland was supposed to be for this team. While I think Cleveland is a **** of a player, for me his offense is reliant on his jumper as well. You don't really see ANY easy buckets out of anyone except omier. The problem with that is omier an opposing team knows what exactly he's gonna do and he still does it. But it doesn't make a team adjust its defense. Nah you simply say that's fine omier will get off some but he's not gonna do enough to beat me. I'm gonna key on the perimeter and let them jack up three after three after three. If those ain't falling **** gets real ugly real fast.

Advertisement
That's my only issue as well. Obviously his approach works for him. But it only works witha certain amount of maturity. If he just stands there leaning against the scorers table and not holding people accountable than this will continue to happen. We will continue to go up 20 only to get ran down etc etc. Personally I think long term George has the potential to be a lottery pick. I love that kids upside. But right now pack needs to lead this team. Cleveland needs to lead this team. You need consistency. To me that's the two of them and omier with his length. People can say till their blue in the face the fact he's a center. But that's ONLY in title. The kids arms are tree trunks and his explosiveness up and down the court I can't remember having here since someone like Guillermo Diaz. Another kid his size had nothing to do with his game. His effort level and his motor allow him to exploit the people he matches up against. But he needs another option that can contribute inside otherwise he'll stay tired and in foul trouble. Maybe nwoko can help. But I doubt it. I think with this team it just is what it is.
Maturity? Maybe. I think it's more focus and discipline. Offense is good when we're getting paint touches and flat-footed 3's. Not so good when it's 1-pass, shot from 25 feet out. I've said it before and I'll say it til I see otherwise, but just seems to me they're not playing team ball more than they're going 1-on-1 trying to showcase themselves for the league. Until we go back to sharing the ball. Playing with effort and energy on D, I'm afraid we're not going to get very far.

Agree with you on George. He's got NBA potential. Just needs to keep developing. Also, Omier was a God send. No telling how bad we'd be if he weren't on the team. Dude is relentless. He's the one guy who seems to have settled down from the start of the season and just plays selfless and hard.

Last edited:
The crazy thing is this team is a buzzer beat against the Cuse and a bad loss to Louisville away from being in 2nd place in the ACC and prob 20-25 in the country

Now all that being said we still need to rip off a 4/5 stretch to really get back in the top 1/3 since it looks like the ACC is once again just going to beat up each other
1706437624612.png

That's my only issue as well. Obviously his approach works for him. But it only works witha certain amount of maturity. If he just stands there leaning against the scorers table and not holding people accountable than this will continue to happen. We will continue to go up 20 only to get ran down etc etc. Personally I think long term George has the potential to be a lottery pick. I love that kids upside. But right now pack needs to lead this team. Cleveland needs to lead this team. You need consistency. To me that's the two of them and omier with his length. People can say till their blue in the face the fact he's a center. But that's ONLY in title. The kids arms are tree trunks and his explosiveness up and down the court I can't remember having here since someone like Guillermo Diaz. Another kid his size had nothing to do with his game. His effort level and his motor allow him to exploit the people he matches up against. But he needs another option that can contribute inside otherwise he'll stay tired and in foul trouble. Maybe nwoko can help. But I doubt it. I think with this team it just is what it is.
Agree with what you say about Omier and our glaring lack of additional "size." But, wasn't all of that just as true about the team and Norchad last season when we went to the Final Four?

Swapping in Cleveland and George for Wong and Miller actually made us a bit bigger as a team. Senior leadership and experience, of course, is a whole other thing.

Advertisement
Agree with what you say about Omier and our glaring lack of additional "size." But, wasn't all of that just as true about the team and Norchad last season when we went to the Final Four?

Swapping in Cleveland and George for Wong and Miller actually made us a bit bigger as a team. Senior leadership and experience, of course, is a whole other thing.
Yes it made us a bit bigger and it was also the case last year. But Miller and Wong were also capable of getting easy buckets consistently to take pressure off of the offense. Now all you have is omier capable of that. If jump shots don't fall it gets real ugly.

Such high expectations after the last 2 years, and the losses continue to mount. Hope Coach L can turn this year around
Have you seen the number of injuries that we’ve had?

We’ve had at least one starter out for a bunch of games, and our bench at the moment is extremely thin, and that’s with it having been thin to begin with.

It’s actually miraculous that Coach L has this team at 14-6.

While I can certainly say I appreciate all of your contributions, I don't get you and your comrades personal insults. I've never once tried to get anyone to look at me any kind of way period. I simply speak my mind. As a result of that both of you have insulted me right and left. I guess you both think that separates us from each other. Either way because I respect my grandparents and I respect military contributions I'll simply stop going back and forth. If you choose to continue that tells me all I need to know about you and your story.
You called me a tool first. And you know nothing about my story. I appreciate your insight at times, but calling others a tool when they disagree tells me all I need to know about you. Have a good day

Advertisement
Our health/Depth is the biggest issue.

I’m not too discouraged with:

Omier
Cleveland
George
Poplar
Pack

Then having:

Joseph
Djobet
Nwoko

Off the bench, Casey/Watson literally just needs to maybe give us like 90 seconds at the end of the 1st half and play defense to give guys like Cleveland/Omier a little extra rest going into the half. Running out of gas is our biggest issue and so far that’s due to health and L taking the Tom Thibedaux approach and playing his starters ALOT

You called me a tool first. And you know nothing about my story. I appreciate your insight at times, but calling others a tool when they disagree tells me all I need to know about you. Have a good day
If his nephew was a football star, he'd be all but demanding he go to Miami and play for a .500 career coach though. He clearly has an agenda and isn't all about the Canes like he portends to be
So while I attached a insult to it,this to me is clearly an insult. For one you don't know all of the contributions I have made and will continue to make for this university. You also don't know what I'd do if my nephew was playing football. Regardless of the fact I already had my nephew come here and our coaches at the time simply let him down and made him question himself not only as an athlete but as a man. When Mandy tried to get him to stay I told him I thought he should be patient but I'd understand whatever he chooses to do. He's had offers from manny and Mario to come back here on two separate occasions and I advised him against it because I want what's best for my family & as long as Cooney is on staff I'll never trust that room(now that kb is there it's different but that's neither here nor there. I apologize for calling you out of your name sir. On my part I'm grown enough to acknowledge that. If you choose to acknowledge how your comment was uncalled for and may have triggered me some that's entirely on you.

Have a blessed day. & again thank you not only for your contributions in the services but from what you said you had to go through to simply show support I thank you for that commitment as well.

So while I attached a insult to it,this to me is clearly an insult. For one you don't know all of the contributions I have made and will continue to make for this university. You also don't know what I'd do if my nephew was playing football. Regardless of the fact I already had my nephew come here and our coaches at the time simply let him down and made him question himself not only as an athlete but as a man. When Mandy tried to get him to stay I told him I thought he should be patient but I'd understand whatever he chooses to do. He's had offers from manny and Mario to come back here on two separate occasions and I advised him against it because I want what's best for my family & as long as Cooney is on staff I'll never trust that room(now that kb is there it's different but that's neither here nor there. I apologize for calling you out of your name sir. On my part I'm grown enough to acknowledge that. If you choose to acknowledge how your comment was uncalled for and may have triggered me some that's entirely on you.

Have a blessed day. & again thank you not only for your contributions in the services but from what you said you had to go through to simply show support I thank you for that commitment as well.
Thank you for the apology and I apologize for my comments on your nephew. I have no doubts you support the U in ways I don't know and are none of my business, but just because most of us didn't play for UM, or in my case even attend UM, doesn't mean we don't support them where and when we can. I would have loved to attend UM, but it wasn't in the cards for me. We're good from my perspective and again, thank you for the response. Best wishes

Advertisement
@Brooklyndee if you are who you say you are then you should know it’s extra wrong for you to publicly badmouth the coach of the university you profess to support.

Saying L looks like a corpse is just spiteful.

Your comments about him not wanting size are wrong (he wants size and skill and has pivoted to small ball where he can’t get players with the size/skill combo he believes is necessary to win with).

Also our center - who is undersized but the best we could get at the time we got him - is leading the ACC in double doubles… so it’s just totally wrong to say that L doesn’t value the 5 spot.

Basketball NIL is good but not close to where football is relative to the elite competition.

Talking publicly about telling your nephew not to go to Miami is wrong and stupid. You can have that conversation privately if you really feel that way, but posting it on a message board is… childlike.

And you’re talking **** about a coach who has taken Miami basketball to the Sweet 16 an average of once every three years for the ENTIRE duration of his tenure.

Miami had been to the Sweet 16 (and never beyond) ONCE before in the HISTORY of the school.

So, please, think before you **** post next time.

@Brooklyndee if you are who you say you are then you should know it’s extra wrong for you to publicly badmouth the coach of the university you profess to support.

Saying L looks like a corpse is just spiteful.

Your comments about him not wanting size are wrong (he wants size and skill and has pivoted to small ball where he can’t get players with the size/skill combo he believes is necessary to win with).

Also our center - who is undersized but the best we could get at the time we got him - is leading the ACC in double doubles… so it’s just totally wrong to say that L doesn’t value the 5 spot.

Basketball NIL is good but not close to where football is relative to the elite competition.

Talking publicly about telling your nephew not to go to Miami is wrong and stupid. You can have that conversation privately if you really feel that way, but posting it on a message board is… childlike.

And you’re talking **** about a coach who has taken Miami basketball to the Sweet 16 an average of once every three years for the ENTIRE duration of his tenure.

Miami had been to the Sweet 16 (and never beyond) ONCE before in the HISTORY of the school.

So, please, think before you **** post next time.
How many times do you continue to try to draw me into this? That seems child like. Zero purpose in going back and forth. What you're saying also is horribly innacurate and anyone else who knows the details between football nil and basketball nil will tell you if there's any sport were built to compete immediately with due to nil its basketball. Is what it is. You obviously have your opinion which you're entitled to regardless if it's simply wrong. You keep calling omier a center and justifying that as proof that coach values the center position. I'll leave it at I disagree. Past that I'm not gonna keep having to justify any of my comments to you. I made two comments and you continue to mention me in this as a result. You said what you said. Sure. Night

@Brooklyndee Maybe you didn’t understand. Miami has a top 5 NIL budget for football. In basketball we’re well outside the top 10 in NIL. I’ve been a Golden Cane/Living Scholar for almost 3 decades, so I very much know the NIL situation.

You should own your error and move on… hopefully supporting the university you claim to love.

Last edited:
Advertisement

Also our center - who is undersized but the best we could get at the time we got him - is leading the ACC in double doubles… so it’s just totally .

If L doesn't value the 5 position, he can join another 100 + coaches (and most of the NBA) who don't. Nature of today's game.

No question L is the best coach we've ever had. Not even close to being debatable.

This is the kind of team that can beat UNC only to lose to BC.

Hopefully we can get some consistency in place. Said it before, this team is very good when it’s focused and healthy.
Outside of a handful of teams at the top, this is true of most programs in CBB right now. Kansas is 4-3 in conference play. Arizona lost to a 2-6 Oregon St. squad. Duke lost to Pitt at home.

Advertisement
Back