Spring Spring PractiSe 15: Spring Game!!!!!!!

No we we’re sitting in the stands. He should have been on the sidelines as a recruit because he’s a dog! I don’t have those types of connects with Miami’s program, but he’s a legit 6’7 and his weight is up to about 240 right now. I’m 6’8 barefoot and he’s a little shorter than I am.

The young man absolutely loves Miami and their history at TE. Skinner flipping to Miami and playing well today was a game changer.
If ur 6”8” barefoot, do u have any eligibility left👀

Advertisement
me personally i like clarke and DP Jr moe than Couch ...though he looked better today.

I like Clarke more so because he has better ball skills. Clarke can turn plays for us honestly. Lets see what shakes out after spring there.

DP Jr is a technician as well. I think this cb group is one step away from being the better int he conference.

I told everyone i liked Dunson skill set...and here you get to see it...they had faith last year and had him play a bit of safety...His lengthis a problem when he i saloowed to press and play against the bigger wrs.

The group is getting back right.
Great insight but hit the pause button next time @gogeta4

Yeah DL is extremely small, we took way to many undersized DTs. You can make an exception for a Leonard Taylor whose 6'3 255, but when you start recruiting nothing but sub 6'2 270 LBs DTs it becomes an issue... Mario definitely noticed and did what he could to bring in size

Ahmad Moten 6'3 295
Anez Cooper 6'6 350
Ur drunk or being very sarcastic if u think LT is 255. He came in at 300-305 as a Freshman

Advertisement
Advertisement
Idk man, I guess some people think change just happens overnight.
If you look at Michigan State’s example of the transformation from one year to next through a talent infusion, albeit through portal, dramatic improvement is possible.

There is talent on this roster, and with some key portal acquisitions, it is arguably possible that we see significant improvement from last season. Maybe not probable though. But not impossible.

Advertisement

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220418-084141_ESPN.jpg
    Screenshot_20220418-084141_ESPN.jpg
    525.1 KB · Views: 10
It was thrown that way so only he could catch it. Which he had both hands on the ball a dropped it. Watch the play again, it was great defense and a drop.
Maybe, but that was a very very tough ball to catch. That will not be held up as a catch we always have to make.

LOL @ DJ Ivey haters! I brought my boys and there friend Riley Williams top TE in Oregon this year to the game and they wanted to focus on Miami’s DB’s and the Safety position. A lot of piling on even from the “insiders” regarding this young man. With his size, athleticism and what I saw today, there’s many on CIS this young man can literally tell to fck off 😂. Coaching matters.

On another note, Miami is recruiting 6-2 3* CB Demarcus Houston from West Albany High in Albany, Oregon. I’m just going to say that Mario and his staff are leaving NO stones unturned.
I don't believe in "hating" on our young men, but there's a difference between hate and criticism. Let's not draw conclusions after one Spring game. Ivey has always looked good in practices. That has not been his problem.

I hope the coaching staff has helped him improve his game. At his size, he could be a valuable asset if he continues to play well.

Advertisement
As expected this is a 8-9 win roster, that should be the goal. Our roster has a lot of holes in it and Mario has done his best to fill them but it's only year 1. WR,DL,LB and CB are all question marks but that's as expected. The transfers and Injured guys will help out a lot, we're still missing a lot of starters and key depth. It's difficult to judge a spring game because everything is very vanilla but we look very small on defense and not very fast.
Last year the expectation was 10 wins going into the season. Why should the expectation be any less than last year? We were 2 plays away from winning 9 games last year under a poorly coached team. Perhaps you think the team will play worse under the new coaching staff than they did under the Diaz regime?

If you want to make the argument that there are better teams in the Coastal than Miami, then you could say this is an 8-9 win team. What Coastal team(s) are going to be better than Miami this year? Pitt, UVA, UNC, VT? Are any of those teams complete? NO, they all have holes. All will have new QBs except UVA. UVA and VT have new coaches as well.

Is this year's team worse than last year's team? NO. Maybe a drop off at WR (unknown), but every other position is the same or has improved. I think we all agree the offensive line is better. Because the OL is better, the perception of the DL is that it's worse. I don't think it is. I think the defense will be better because LB and CB play will be better than last year, while the DL and the Safeties will be the same or better. Most importantly, this will be a better tackling team.

Is the ACC going to be better or worse than it was last year? I'd say it'll be worse. We will be favored in every ACC game except Clemson. We will be favored in every non conference game except TamU. If we are favored in every game except Clemson and TamU, why should anyone have a lowered expectation in win total?

Every team on our schedule has holes except maybe TamU and Clemson. What you and others are suggesting is that we should have a lowered expectations when our talent level is just a little better than our opponents and when we have Alabama talent we can expect 10 wins and 2 losses. That is still mediocrity given the talent level. I just don't think that way.

My expectation is that we beat the teams we are supposed to beat. That is my expectation every year. This program hasn't done that in over a decade with the exception being 2017, but we should have never lost to Pitt that year. Just because the team loses games it shouldn't, the expectation to win shouldn't change. You don't lose a game against a team you should beat and say, "That's OK, we always lose a game we should have won. I expected it." NO!!! That's a defeatist attitude.

The choices are binary. For any given game, you either expect to win or you don't. I DON'T expect us to win against TamU or Clemson. If we do, I'm ecstatic as my expectation has been exceeded. I DO expect to win against FSU, UVA, Pitt, UNC, VT, Duke, and GT. We may lose to one or more of those teams, but my expectation is that we don't lose to any of them. If you or anyone else EXPECTS us to lose against any Coastal team and/or FSU, then please do share who you expect us to lose to.

Last edited:
Last year the expectation was 10 wins going into the season. Why should the expectation be any less than last year? We were 2 plays away from winning 9 games last year under a poorly coached team. Perhaps you think the team will play worse under the new coaching staff than they did under the Diaz regime?

If you want to make the argument that there are better teams in the Coastal than Miami, then you could say this is an 8-9 win team. What Coastal team(s) are going to be better than Miami this year? Pitt, UVA, UNC, VT? Are any of those teams complete? NO, they all have holes. All will have new QBs except UVA. UVA and VT have new coaches as well.

Is this year's team worse than last year's team? NO. Maybe a drop off at WR (unknown), but every other position is the same or has improved. I think we all agree the offensive line is better. Because the OL is better, the perception of the DL is that it's worse. I don't think it is. I think the defense will be better because LB and CB play will be better than last year, while the DL and the Safeties will be the same or better. Most importantly, this will be a better tackling team.

Is the ACC going to be better or worse than it was last year? I'd say it'll be worse. We will be favored in every ACC game except Clemson. We will be favored in every non conference game except TamU. If we are favored in every game except Clemson and TamU, why should anyone have a lowered expectation in win total?

Every team on our schedule has holes except maybe TamU and Clemson. What you and others are suggesting is that we should have a lowered expectations when our talent level is just a little better than our opponents and when we have Alabama talent we can expect 10 wins and 2 losses. That is still mediocrity given the talent level. I just don't think that way.

My expectation is that we beat the teams we are supposed to beat. That is my expectation every year. This program hasn't done that in over a decade with the exception being 2017, but we should have never lost to Pitt that year. Just because the team loses games it shouldn't, the expectation to win shouldn't change. You don't lose a game against a team you should beat and say, "That's OK, we always lose a game we should have won. I expected it." NO!!! That's a defeatist attitude.

The choices are binary. For any given game, you either expect to win or you don't. I DON'T expect us to win against TamU or Clemson. If we do, I'm ecstatic as my expectation has been exceeded. I DO expect to win against FSU, UVA, Pitt, UNC, VT, Duke, and GT. We may lose to one or more of those teams, but my expectation is that we don't lose to any of them. If you or anyone else EXPECTS us to lose against any Coastal team and/or FSU, then please do share who you expect us to lose to.
We were also a few plays away from being a 3 win team if we're being honest... Our defense was horrendous, if we didn't have a QB playing like a 1st round pick we probably only win 5 games last season. Team has a lot of holes, our front 7 is the size of a G5 school and that's being generous man. Our WR1 is X, who would be a WR3 on a good team. We're breaking in a new offense that's a lot more run heavy and Pro Style then with Lashlee, these things take time.

Advertisement
Back