Prediction Golden won't be here next year...

All fair points...
UM is the best job in America because the proximity to talent is the best. It takes no time to drive down the street to visit a kid and his HC at school, his home and his games and practices. Add to that when the coach is relatively young and has kids who are at an age when they really need their dad at home and not in some far off location visiting ****-head 17 yr olds (like Golden's family), combined with the fact that being a HC is a huge commitment of time and energy, factoring those things in UM is the best he's ever going to see. He can brush off WEZ members and their criticism (mostly warranted, I'd say) as the crazy unreasonable fans who don't understand the intricacies of college football, and he can at least for the next year still bring up the cloud (look how much mileage the dims get out of blaming everything on Bush and he hasn't had a say in anything for over 6 years), and he can even get some mileage out of the true freshman QB excuse (at least for the first 3 losses this year) and unless he finishes worse then .500, he can probably keep his job here, at least for another year or 2. Note, I don't think we're going less than .500, so I don't think the BOT and/or AD or going to do anything with Golden. They might make him an offer he can't refuse regarding the DC, but that's another matter.

Advertisement
with schools like illinois, KU possibly UVA looking for a head coach I see him taking a KU/MD/UVA Rutgers kinda gig. Neg me all you want but I personally think he's off to a school with a bigger budget and lower expectations. Assuming he goes 8-4 most college football insiders will tell you he's done an awesome job, (I vehemently disagree). He had job prospects before Penn State when we were winning seven games a year.

All of those gigs are worse than Miami.

However if it happens.

thumbsupcomputerkid.gif

with schools like illinois, KU possibly UVA looking for a head coach I see him taking a KU/MD/UVA Rutgers kinda gig. Neg me all you want but I personally think he's off to a school with a bigger budget and lower expectations. Assuming he goes 8-4 most college football insiders will tell you he's done an awesome job, (I vehemently disagree). He had job prospects before Penn State when we were winning seven games a year.

All of those gigs are worse than Miami.

However if it happens.

View attachment 26872

Between that gif and your avatar there's a whole bunch of awesome that post.

Where is the evidence that the UM administration has "higher expectations" (wrt winning) than any of those other schools you mentioned? For all we know they are quite content with Golden winning 8 - 9 games a year and no conference championships. Until that changes he's not going anywhere. He's certainly not leaving by his own choice simply because some fans flew a banner -- unless of course Penn State comes calling again since that is his dream job.

Advertisement
It depends on the following:

1. Buyout versus Another Gig:

Let’s assume the buyout is $3,000,000. If we fire him and give him the buyout, this means he can’t take another coaching position for a few years (~ 2019) as per the terms of a likely buyout. Perhaps he would rather take another gig that paid him more in total ($1.5M x 3 years = $4.5M) instead of not coaching for some time and taking the buyout. Sure it easy to sit on your fat **** and cash checks but he is young and might want to continue coaching right away. Golden may not consider another gig if there is no pressure.

2. How much pressure is really on Golden?:

If there is a lot of pressure on Golden, he should know about it by now. We all know how swell of a job Golden and his agent already did with PSU last winter. Perhaps if there was legit pressure, they would be gauging interest behind the scenes in preparation for a firing (even though they suck at it). Golden may prefer to act first, under his own terms, rather than waiting for him to be fired.

At UM, Golden hasn’t done so well to finish any season. With 4 games remaining, here is how Miami’s finished the season since 2011:

2011: 2-2 (2 Road Games)
2012: 3-1 (2 Road Games)
2013: 2-2 (2 Road Games) [Does not include bowl game]

As evidenced by the above, Golden is not a good finisher to the season. In 1 of the 3 years (2011), we had FSU remaining in our final four games.
In 2014, we have remaining UNC, FSU, @ UVA and Pitt.

Possible Finish #1: Let’s assume we lose to FSU but beat everyone else. That would mean the following (ACC Performance)

2011: 3-5
2012: 5-3
2013: 5-3
2014: 5-3
0 Wins against FSU
0 Coastal Titles (obviously at 5-3 something weird could happen)

Given the above, I’m not sure how anyone could stick with a guy that accomplished the above at Miami. Given the illogical behavior of the Admin before (extensions and hiring practices), I don’t have a clue how they would treat an 8-4 (5-3) season. Let’s assume that 5-3 will bring some pressure but not much especially if he pulled off a bowl win. A bowl loss [8-5(5-3)] could perhaps result in more pressure but not much more.

Odds of this happening 45%

Possible Finish #2: Al with 3 homes games left and an extra week for FSU, runs the table. Clearly a 6-2 record would be the first ACTUAL improvement since 2012 in the conference. If we got some help from the other coastal teams (GT and Duke), it could possibly be our first ACCCG appearance. Any heat would subside after an FSU win (during the regular season) and he could likely lose the ACCCG and the Bowl Game and there wouldn’t be much pressure.

Odds of this happening 5%

Possible Finish #3: Finishing 2-2 in the ACC and 4-4 overall. Given the track record to finish the season and given we have FSU remaining, I could see realistically that we drop 2 more games. At 4-4, I don’t see any possible way Al could keep his job. Even with our illogical Admin, he would be done and the pressure to leave would be extremely strong.

Odds of this happening 50%

In summation: I think that Al will drop at least 1 more the rest of the way. I think Al and his agent will be looking and seriously considering another opportunity after a loss against UNC and/or FSU (obviously a loss this weekend would be the beginning of the end). I could see them taking an inferior gig (i.e. Illinois or Kansas) if the money was decent and guaranteed to be more than a potential buyout.

Haith saved us by bailing to Mizzou - it would be too much to hope for again. Wouldn't it?

Haith did it again this off season at Mizzou. Left for Tulsa. He had a ton of heat on him after the year and knew If he couldn't turn it around this next year he would be gone. So after the season he went looking and bolted for Tulsa. It was a blessing for Mizzou. He could recruit but couldn't coach himself out of a wet paper bag. We can only hope Golden starts looking for a safer school where he can get away with 7-5, 8-4 seasons. It's not acceptable here.

Kaaya's emergence is only reason I beleive he won't be looking elsewhere. If Kaaya was struggling I think he would be looking but Kaaya has it and can win him an ACC championship next year.

Advertisement
UM is the best job in America because the proximity to talent is the best. It takes no time to drive down the street to visit a kid and his HC at school, his home and his games and practices. Add to that when the coach is relatively young and has kids who are at an age when they really need their dad at home and not in some far off location visiting ****-head 17 yr olds (like Golden's family), combined with the fact that being a HC is a huge commitment of time and energy, factoring those things in UM is the best he's ever going to see. He can brush off WEZ members and their criticism (mostly warranted, I'd say) as the crazy unreasonable fans who don't understand the intricacies of college football, and he can at least for the next year still bring up the cloud (look how much mileage the dims get out of blaming everything on Bush and he hasn't had a say in anything for over 6 years), and he can even get some mileage out of the true freshman QB excuse (at least for the first 3 losses this year) and unless he finishes worse then .500, he can probably keep his job here, at least for another year or 2. Note, I don't think we're going less than .500, so I don't think the BOT and/or AD or going to do anything with Golden. They might make him an offer he can't refuse regarding the DC, but that's another matter.

rotflmao

Advertisement
If we lose all 4 remaining games, I think there would be a decent chance that coach Golden gets fired. However, even then, it would not surprise me if he weren't.

Golden would be very comfortable in one of those jobs, we can only hope. 1 decent season every 5 years. Very much up his alley.

Advertisement
Londfon has had his best season as a HC this year. Why would they fire him now, when they kept him with three 3 win seasons?

If he beats Golden (probable) OR Beamer (Very probable) he ain't going nowhere.

I've said this before, Golden does not want to be here...next gig that opens up for him he's out on his own. He never felt this sort of pressure in his life. His wife is already deemed to be having health problems...do you think he wants her to be subjected to all of the scrutiny the love of her life is getting. It's worst this year, than it was last year. Our recruiting for 2015 has sucked. We're not even hot on a legacy's nephew for God's sake! Golden is mailing it in and he's coaching for a new gig right now. It'll be a win/win situation. Keep watching...it will get interesting.

Advertisement
Back