Potential Portal DB’s (CB’s & S’s only)

He competed against Jeremiah Smith and JoJo trader every day in practice at Chaminade. Playing against tall, fast, physical WRs shouldn't be new him.
He was locked up with Damian Alford everyday in practice as a freshman as well.

Damian was the same size then and DLO was probably 2-3 inches shorter than he is NOW. lol So DLO was about 5'7-5'8 and he WOULD not back down. Yea there was some head tops/ mosses but he was routinely frustrating guys...and getting picks as well.

So much so i came on here and posted that he would end up at minimum a 3 star when he gets to his sr year and he ended up being real good at chaminade.

Advertisement
You're more of a casual than I thought if you truly think that Couch's lone reason why he sucked was size
couch doesnt have good ball skills....he actually put on solid size by sr year.

His terrible ball skills were apparent int he gt game that no one really talks about because kam got got the next play...but it doesnt even happen if couch isnt jumping from the free throw line for a pass deflection/interception that he wouldve got just running under the ball.

To be honest DLO is smaller than Couch. Couch left here 5'10 185 with the required wingspan of a 6'0 cb.

DLO if he comes likely leaves around that size. right now he is probably 5'9 165-170.

Why you downing James Madison? Last season Bama with Saban took a CB from ULL which, check notes is the same conference James Madison is in. That player is now at Ole Miss after Saban left. Simply saying he is from James Madison is weird af. Like 10.4 is not 10.4, which is elite speed and only Chris Johnson compares from a speed stand point. Added to he has good film regardless of conference

Your whole argument, is he sucks because he is short and from James Madison. NFL draft had schools i never even heard about while our 5 star safety with freakish measureables, snuck into the 7th round.
Did that corner play for Bama last year no so that’s pointless to use hence him transferring again

Speed is nice but if he’s getting bullied and abused in the run game how is that going to help with being fast

James went 7th round because of a slow 40 time and position switch so again what’s the point in bringing him up I’m not sure but I’m not arguing about James bro y’all boys hate on our players to much man

Advertisement
Advertisement
The argument for D'Angelo Ponds is based on evidence.

The argument against D'Angelo Ponds is based on measurables & a misunderstanding of James Madison not being a FCS program.

If the staff felt they had enough at CB they wouldn't have taken Dyoni Hill who plays the same position as Brown & they wouldn't be attempting to get Ponds.

Damari Brown played 228 snaps last year in 6 games, explain why he didn't have a single pass breakup or one entire game with an above average coverage rating?

I can do the same for the entire CB group from last year, but I'm not. Simply put, CB has been a huge issue for this team for a long time & the Coaches recognize it. They're adding YOUNG CB's (not 1 year stop gap Grad transfers) for a reason...

The argument for D'Angelo Ponds is based on evidence.

The argument against D'Angelo Ponds is based on measurables & a misunderstanding of James Madison not being a FCS program.

If the staff felt they had enough at CB they wouldn't have taken Dyoni Hill who plays the same position as Brown & they wouldn't be attempting to get Ponds.

Damari Brown played 228 snaps last year in 6 games, explain why he didn't have a single pass breakup or one entire game with an above average coverage rating?

I can do the same for the entire CB group from last year, but I'm not. Simply put, CB has been a huge issue for this team for a long time & the Coaches recognize it. They're adding YOUNG CB's (not 1 year stop gap Grad transfers) for a reason...
Quite simply put - The truth hurts. And a lot of times, fans can’t handle the truth.

Advertisement
This reminds me of the Henry Parrish situation I brought up on here time proved out I was correct that he was small and not explosive we’ll see how this one goes i personally would’ve went after better portal guys at corner from the first wave but to each is own.

Advertisement
This reminds me of the Henry Parrish situation I brought up on here time proved out I was correct that he was small and not explosive we’ll see how this one goes i personally would’ve went after better portal guys at corner from the first wave but to each is own.
except this guy is explosive being state champ in the 100m (and Parrish was good for us albeit not elite).

Did that corner play for Bama last year no so that’s pointless to use hence him transferring again

Speed is nice but if he’s getting bullied and abused in the run game how is that going to help with being fast

James went 7th round because of a slow 40 time and position switch so again what’s the point in bringing him up I’m not sure but I’m not arguing about James bro y’all boys hate on our players to much man
Stating facts is now hating? You are saying stuff that has no facts. Ponds was a physical tackler and real good in coverage. But man who actually got abused in coverage and in the run game, im hating on them yeah? Amos must have been doing something to npt only get to Bama but them Kiffin took him up.

@DMoney said it. The under the radar guys that ended up making it, has pretty much the same thing in common. Great athletes, played multiple sports, late to football, maybe not prototypical size out of high school etc. We struggled with DBs panning out the last few decades because we over complicated it by thinking all you need is 6'0 and above CBs and it will all be fine. Get the best athlete simple. Fast twitchy players. Load up on that and some will make it big. Sam Shields played years in the NFL as CB after never playing it in college and beimg an average WR. Yet he was one of the best athletes. Its a revolving cycle.

Seems like a no brainer. Bringing in Ponds gives us enough CB depth to move whomever we need to move over to Nickel so that Meesh can play a lot more safety. The whole DB uplevels across the board.

Advertisement
Back