Nigel Bethel To Be Formally Charged

From a TTU blog, this is allegedly somebody's account of the incident.

Texas Tech Pharmacy School student Eugenio Hernandez was watching the pickup basketball game when the incident went down. He says the punch Battle took to the face was absolutely intentional.

"They were playing, and all of a sudden, one guy was guarding her, they go for a rebound," he explains. "Well, when they came back down, [Battle] got upset, I guess because [Bethel} pushed her, and she kind of pushed him back."

Hernandez watched as the two players continued to get heated.

"Then all of a sudden, I see him get back up," he continues. "And he just straight up punches her with his fist closed. In the face."

Hernandez says that after Battle was hit, another male player in the game attempted to go after Bethel, but others held him back. He also says that watching Battle get hit angered him, even as simply a spectator.

"I almost felt the reaction of going up to him, running up to him and punching him," Hernandez says. "What kind of guy does that, you know? You never punch a girl, you never touch a girl. That's not a real man, you know?"
I seen Hernandez and formally charged and I got confused who the thread was about at first.

Advertisement
http://www.si.com/womens-college-ba...ber-battle-suspended-altercation-nigel-bethel

Texas Tech suspended women's basketball player Amber Battle for the month of November for her involvement in an altercation with former football player Nigel Bethel, the school announced Friday.

During a pickup basketball game on June 28, I was involved in an incident with Texas Tech football player Nigel Bethel," Battle said in a statement. "I initiated the first contact and I take full responsibility for my actions. I want to take this time to apologize to Nigel, the Texas Tech community, my teammates, coaches and fans. Nothing I can say can truly repair the harm I have already caused. I did not represent the Double T like I am supposed to and I promise to hold myself to a higher standard from here on."

http://www.si.com/womens-college-ba...ber-battle-suspended-altercation-nigel-bethel

Texas Tech suspended women's basketball player Amber Battle for the month of November for her involvement in an altercation with former football player Nigel Bethel, the school announced Friday.

During a pickup basketball game on June 28, I was involved in an incident with Texas Tech football player Nigel Bethel," Battle said in a statement. "I initiated the first contact and I take full responsibility for my actions. I want to take this time to apologize to Nigel, the Texas Tech community, my teammates, coaches and fans. Nothing I can say can truly repair the harm I have already caused. I did not represent the Double T like I am supposed to and I promise to hold myself to a higher standard from here on."

wonder what was the supposed "initial contact) she started. If she just pushed him or slapped him upside the head, i dont see why he whupped her *** like that...now if she did some other wack **** like kick in nuts or etc.....hmmmmm

Well, one report said he got off the floor to smack her. She got a broken nose. **** happens. I'm not letting either one of them off the hook. If you can believe what has been reported so far, they both let emotions rule their actions. I'm going to be in the minority here, and I say the get together, make peace, and go on. Maybe they both will grow from this.

Nigel is more wrong only because he is a male. I don't see this as the major crime that many apparently see. (as long as they bury the hatchet)

Nigel shouldn't be charged then right? He also shouldn't be kicked off the team more, but im sure the school know all this info from the start.

Advertisement
Well, one report said he got off the floor to smack her. She got a broken nose. **** happens. I'm not letting either one of them off the hook. If you can believe what has been reported so far, they both let emotions rule their actions. I'm going to be in the minority here, and I say the get together, make peace, and go on. Maybe they both will grow from this.

Nigel is more wrong only because he is a male. I don't see this as the major crime that many apparently see. (as long as they bury the hatchet)

I want to agree, but when they mention the feet part in the story that means he was kicking and maybe stomping her ***....Just cant see any other logical reason for him to do that....i would hope the guys who were witnesses would have mentioned that she was going below the belt and was doing the same thing he was doing to her.....
Either way, he was going to be the villain in this since it was male vs female

This is straight BS if I'm Nigel I will be looking a lawyer right now and the ncaa should let him play right away at whatever school he transfer to.. that's BS

I think some of you need to crawl up from under the rock... The new breed of African American women are NOT the soft type... They tend to act like Men and when they get treated like men (getting knocked the **** out) we get all the outrage.. See the chick spitting & hitting the bus driver on youtube or the two chicks hitting the McDonalds employee that nearly killed their *** with a piece of metal.. Two sides to every story....

I think some of you need to crawl up from under the rock... The new breed of African American women are NOT the soft type... They tend to act like Men and when they get treated like men (getting knocked the **** out) we get all the outrage.. See the chick spitting & hitting the bus driver on youtube or the two chicks hitting the McDonalds employee that nearly killed their *** with a piece of metal.. Two sides to every story....

LOL. The new breed? So, the old breed was?

Advertisement
But, but, but, she's a woman! A delicate little flower! We must presume her innocence because she has a ******!

If you start a fight and get your a** kicked I don't feel sorry for you. Male or female! She should have swung harder!

Still don't care.

We are talking about ******* adults and a basketball game. Grow the **** up and keep your hands to yourself.

Advertisement
If you start a fight and get your a** kicked I don't feel sorry for you. Male or female! She should have swung harder!

She pushed him he hit her on the face.... DOnt know how you were raised bruh...but my dad wouldve beat my ***.I feel sorry for you

New world we live in fellas.. Any woman that puts her hands on any man; will get arrested like one and get beat like one. Stand your ground can be used on women as well.

Advertisement
I understand 100% that men are not supposed to beat on women. But at what point does female common sense play into this. I grew up with my mom and sister and they will be the first to tell u that women needs to be smarter when they hit a man, and when they mean smarter they mean do not do it at all. If a chick spits in ur face, punches u in the face kicks u in the nuts or slap u multiple times u are telling me that a real man would turn the other cheek and walk away? **** out of here!!!! At that point a woman is a dude and all bets are off...... A man who beats a women for no reason is less than dirt and deserves to be treated like a ***** when he is in jail for it...... But a chick who tries to fight a man like she is a man.... Well i wouldn't bat an eye If she gets drugg thru the mud

What you're saying isn't what happened. And frankly speaking what type of girls are you surrounding yourself with that spit, kick you in the nuts, etc. How about just finding a straight up real woman and keep it moving. Then you don't even have to answer your own question about what would you do.

From the alleged eye witness account she either pushed or hit Nigel and he exploded. Cooler heads needed to have prevailed. What I would call emotional maturity - not allowing someone else to control your emotions. He probably responded as he did because he felt his manhood and/or pride was being disrespected. Still needed to find a better way to respond. Now he's off the team, I believe kicked out of school, AND possibly on his way to a TEXAS prison. So who really won in this fiasco?

If a chick spits in ur face, punches u in the face kicks u in the nuts or slap u multiple times u are telling me that a real man would turn the other cheek and walk away?

Last edited:
So this lovely lady initiates the altercation, he finishes it and he gets kicked out of school and she is suspended for a month. "Zero Tolerance" indeed in full effect in Lubbock. Battle was the Red Raiders' leading scorer with 16.4 points per game last season, and also led the team in rebounds and assists to earn second-team All-Big 12 honors. Oh that might be the answer, friggjn joke.

Semper Canes!!!

I actually get what some of you are saying (some more artful than others) but the justice system isn't blind to gender. That's probably not technically "fair" but it's also someone with any common sense understands and governs how they might act accordingly. At the end of the day (in a best case scenario for Bethel), he reacted to her aggression with aggression that wasn't viewed as even remotely equal in manner or result. I think that's why the part about him kicking her was included in there by the police. Even dismissing all of that (which I personally don't), this kid was an idiot if he thought he was going to get some sort of leniency from Texas law enforcement not being one of "their own".

Advertisement
Back