Nigel Bethel (Patten) decision date

"Recruiting is going well you know, I'm just staying humble throughout it," Bethel said. "I just want to get the recruiting process out of the way before the season starts. All my options will still be open. Wherever I commit will just be where I am at for the moment."

Committing to save a spot

Advertisement
"Recruiting is going well you know, I'm just staying humble throughout it," Bethel said. "I just want to get the recruiting process out of the way before the season starts. All my options will still be open. Wherever I commit will just be where I am at for the moment."

What kind of bull**** is that.

What kind of bull**** is that.

This is why he's committing to Miami now he doesn't want to be like Kirkland and get left out.

In before he pledges to FSU because, "Miami was still looking at other CB's despite my noncommittment commitment. They weren't showing me enough love."

Al will not stand still. If this young man keeps looking, you can bet Al will too. Unfortuantely for BTW kids, last year's bitter taste is not gone yet. Staff just took kid who hasn't played a down in HS yet. They have no fear. Who the **** was Kaaya six months ago--now he blowing up everywhere. The old staff's use to take shots on a lot of kids. Rusty, Maryland, Reed ..... This year it is not desperate last minute fill ins; they see something in the kids they are taking. Golden wants kids that will show up a be the same every day, not just on the days they decide you have shown them enough love. Golden has all the leverage right now. Donna looked like a fool over the Kirkland thing last year. You notice Al DID NOT show up for the mea cupa weekend meeting. Donna ended up with egg on her face. Even she will think twice before undercutting him again. He has the muscle right now. If he bets the swamp scum, wins 10 game and the ACC he will be god--at least until the next recruiting class.

Advertisement
I cannot seem to get consistent info on this kid.

He's listed at 5'-9" with a 4.61 forty time. Bakas's review of this kid made it seem like the kid is a project. Last night I saw an article saying the kid is going to commit but still has plans to take all five recruiting trips this winter.

Hmmm??

I will admit that I wasnt the biggest fan of Bethel but he is starting to grow on me. He looks like he is 5'7 in the pics I see but in person on the field he looks like Greg Reids height. (Which is 5'9) And that 4.61 40 time is way off. This kid is a legit 4.4 guy ON the football field. That is one thing I cant take away from him. He is a burner. And he is tough too. I would say he is definitely not a project. He will compete for playing time after he redshirts a year. I think he would play before Turner or Mayes. Or even Lammons.

I will admit that I wasnt the biggest fan of Bethel but he is starting to grow on me. He looks like he is 5'7 in the pics I see but in person on the field he looks like Greg Reids height. (Which is 5'9) And that 4.61 40 time is way off. This kid is a legit 4.4 guy ON the football field. That is one thing I cant take away from him. He is a burner. And he is tough too. I would say he is definitely not a project. He will compete for playing time after he redshirts a year. I think he would play before Turner or Mayes. Or even Lammons.

Lammons is another a tier or two above the kid. Patten runs a 4.49-4.61 and is probably around 5'8. He doesn't have the same length as Lammons or physicality at the line. He's a good "pesky" corner but it's not the end of the world if we lose him. Those 40 times aren't way off, he's been lazer timed twice and the times were 4.49 & 4.61. Corners don't need to be "burners" though, quickness & hip mobility is far more important. I see him making an impact around year 3 if he was to come to miami with our current depth. On top of that when he commits he won't even be solid. He does a good job of staying at the receivers hips and is a playmaker when the ball is in the air. Im not sure how he would fare against a bigger & more physical WR (Lane, Brady, etc.) He has good instincts that you can't teach. Defintely a take by all accounts but we will have to stay on him hard to keep him. A good couple years with our S & C program will make him a lot better.

Advertisement
Glory,
Can I ask what your review of Bethal is based on? Im trying to marry it up with a discussion I had with Mike Bakas. Bakas's review of the kid seemed to make him seem like a project recruit. Under-sized, nominally average speed, nothing special w/r/t ball skills (you seem higher on his ball skills than Bakas). Also, in the ESPN article I saw on facebook, this Bethel kid said something to the effect of, "Im committing now but will still take all five recruiting trips this winter..."

Im wondering what Im missing here. Is this just coach Golden trying to build a bridge to a local school or is the staff really THIS high on Nigel Bethel that they are going to accept his commitment this early on? I dunno.

Glory,
Can I ask what your review of Bethal is based on? Im trying to marry it up with a discussion I had with Mike Bakas. Bakas's review of the kid seemed to make him seem like a project recruit. Under-sized, nominally average speed, nothing special w/r/t ball skills (you seem higher on his ball skills than Bakas). Also, in the ESPN article I saw on facebook, this Bethel kid said something to the effect of, "Im committing now but will still take all five recruiting trips this winter..."

Im wondering what Im missing here. Is this just coach Golden trying to build a bridge to a local school or is the staff really THIS high on Nigel Bethel that they are going to accept his commitment this early on? I dunno.

Yeah I read the interview and posted the part where he basically said "I'm going to commit but not be committed".

On Nigel's game, his speed is like Sony Michel where it doesn't show as much on the football field. He is a world class track athlete but doesn't look like a 4.4-4.5 kid on tape. From watching his tape I dont think hes an elite player but he does have good instincts/ball skills. (4 interceptions, multiple deflections, 32 inch vertical) He keeps his eye on the ball & the qbs eye and is quick to react when the ball is in the air. I dont know how well he would be able fare at the next level against bigger & more physical receivers. He is also in the right position to make the interception but either dropped it or was a step or two too slow. His straight line speed isnt really important for his position. His hip mobility and quickness are far more important. However, in one play he does chase down Artie burns on a kick return. I really don't get why people are acting as if he's an top level recruit. He doesn't do anything elite. He plays good man but his size and lack of length hurts him in his tape & I assume it hurt him during his season too. I haven't seen him in person but those are just my thoughts. Lammons is a better CB prospect easily in my mind. I do believe the staff is highest on Nigel & Lammons though. Thats just from the information out there. They've told both corners they're #1 on their board so we just have to go with the information out there. Nigel always says Miami is one of the hardest ones recruiting me right now.

Like I said he's a take, but you wonder how well he will be able to perform at the next level.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nigel Patten is a Terrell Buckley type.

Those guys seem to just bother wr's...Dude is always in the wr hip foreal..u see people say it but its true...he has went against top wr's throughout his time in high school. Finnie was productive for us...and i see that as his floor...he's atleast comparable to Finnie..who may have him by an inch though but not as fast.

Dude hawked in Artie Burns who is a burner....

His on the field speed looked legit to me. Terrell Buckley is a great comparison. Small but really built well and has that Napoleon Complex. Knows he is 5'9 and is okay with that. Still will bust u in the mouth though. He is starting to make me a believer. Really interested to see him play this year.

Advertisement
Nigel trolling? Lol

NB ‏@_NigelBethel 6m

Crystal ball says I'm going to the U pic.twitter.com/ChpD751ltb

Lol. I swear these kids have way to much fun with this stuff. Can you imagine if this time Monday we had Patton and Martinez on board? **** that would be a great start to the summer thats for **** sure.

Advertisement
Lol. I swear these kids have way to much fun with this stuff. Can you imagine if this time Monday we had Patton and Martinez on board? **** that would be a great start to the summer thats for **** sure.

If that happens, however unlikely it may be, I would **** myself. Also if that happened it would finally shut up all the jerk offs out there who complain about this class which across the board is top 5-10 in the nation.

Nigel Patten is a Terrell Buckley type.

Those guys seem to just bother wr's...Dude is always in the wr hip foreal..u see people say it but its true...he has went against top wr's throughout his time in high school. Finnie was productive for us...and i see that as his floor...he's atleast comparable to Finnie..who may have him by an inch though but not as fast.

Dude hawked in Artie Burns who is a burner....

That's exactly what I meant when I said he's a "pesky" receiver

@_NigelBethel: Who has most NFL draft picks? The U, Tennessee, WV, Texas Tech, FSU, or Kentucky?

People telling him Tenn has the most smh

Advertisement
Back