Late Kick Josh comes to Miami

Advertisement

Some Cliffs:

- No one in the building is shy about how bad last season was. No excuse making, just confirmation they were bad.

-He liked talking to Dawson, thinks the stigma that he can do nothing without Holgerson is overblown

- No one more appreciative of freshman class than TVD. Dude is living in the facility, called him a hermit, every time Pate was there, TVD was there. he knows his legacy is on the line and is working hard, he saw TVD catch more balls from the jugg machine than the WRs (added a caveat they may be doing it at 5am before he got there) also said TVD popped a blood vessel in his (Pate) thumb catching passes.

- dont take it for granted that UM kept its star players in this era of transfer portal

-heard from wiltfong and guys that Francis was different from any guy in the class, Pate walked in and the OL was behind him working out on their own and said he was a "space alien" took a nanosecond to ID him even though he was next to other OT's in the program 3 years,

said after the workout they started messing around (pickup ball type stuff) and this huge massive "lab-created" human was playing QB, throwing play action, then went out wide running 25 yard posts and looked like a WR and Francis will absolutely start and he runs like a WR, he is fluid and quick, no way he is choppy, should not be real that someone can move like that at that size. Saw him grab 41 passes consecutive on juggs machine ONE HANDED without a drop. Said he wished he could film it as it would have millions and millions of views.

-shouts out prime 112

-ends with commenting on the general belief that Miami cant be what it used to be, says he has been around both winning and losing programs, mentions how crazy ND game was, says he does not like hard rock but that is out of their control, said Mario was candid before he signed and had to look across the table like Kirby did to UGA and said I want to come here but this is what I need and they met his demands. So now this is all on Mario and he knows it. General vibe was they feel "good" about this year and "great" next year.

Last edited:
how to you take creatine? powder/shakes?
Puppy chow all day, all night.
1686592942749.png

Advertisement
Watching now. One interesting take, albeit not specifically within the context of [a modern] offense:

Mario says he doesn't want to go backwards. He says he doesn't care about what he did when he was playing. It's all about the future.

Folks give lip service to things they don't mean but I found that curious when you consider that many here have labeled Mario "conservative bro" when it comes to offense. He certainly says the right things.

The latest Through the Smoke episode has Josh Pate on as a guest for the 2nd half of it and he provides details of the trip - a bit of it overlaps with the summary of the behind the seasons, but I thought it was a good listen.

Advertisement
I finished the interview.

It has been discussed here ad nauseum but I always thought it was more speculation than anything; I think that was the first time I ever heard Mario himself discuss that he had no interest coming here unless Miami was intent on making a financial commitment to the program that he deemed appropriate. That's pretty unique. I think most of us would have found a $5 million salary at [Oregon or whatever other school] and $5 million at UM equivalent. Mario didn't. I respect that. The man clearly has a vision and goal beyond enriching himself.

I'm too young for Schnelly and JJ, but I don't think any coach in my lifetime has ever had such a clear vision about what a program and its foundation should look like than Mario. The coaching still scares me a little bit, but once Mario the program-builder gets his roots into this, Mario the head coach is going to have a much easier job.

It has been discussed here ad nauseum but I always thought it was more speculation than anything; I think that was the first time I ever heard Mario himself discuss that he had no interest coming here unless Miami was intent on making a financial commitment to the program that he deemed appropriate. That's pretty unique. I think most of us would have found a $5 million salary at [Oregon or whatever other school] and $5 million at UM equivalent. Mario didn't. I respect that. The man clearly has a vision and goal beyond enriching himself.

I'm too young for Schnelly and JJ, but I don't think any coach in my lifetime has ever had such a clear vision about what a program and its foundation should look like than Mario. The coaching still scares me a little bit, but once Mario the program-builder gets his roots into this, Mario the head coach is going to have a much easier job.
The school hasnt invested in itself in a looooooooong time, known for cheap hires and even cheaper allocation for staff/resources. Mario getting upclose and seeing what a big time football program looks and feels like in real time at Bama and NikeU, he knows it would be career suicide to leave Oregon to come to miami if they were not committed. This is/wasnt a secret 5 mil at Nike U and Miami is not the same because there is more to it than just that, this is obvious if you look at the cfb landscape and how it has grown/evolved in last decade plus. You need a commitment to winning from the top all the way down. Without that we get the rudderless stationary neverending 7-5 seasons and #buildingchampions hashtags

agreed. and it was a tripartite agreement. mario gave them (rudy and joe and jose mas) a detailed list of what he required and they (rudy and joe) made sure that donors (mas, ruiz et al.) were on board also to help foot the bill.

and to answer your question re past regimes, no, miami never supported the program the way it is doing now. schnelly had a vision and it was executed on the cheap, although there wasn't much money in the game back then. same with JJ. when things took off with media contracts and the money started flowing, the gap between us and them reached from coral gables to the Tannhäuser Gate.

Advertisement
The school hasnt invested in itself in a looooooooong time, known for cheap hires and even cheaper allocation for staff/resources. Mario getting upclose and seeing what a big time football program looks and feels like in real time at Bama and NikeU, he knows it would be career suicide to leave Oregon to come to miami if they were not committed. This is/wasnt a secret 5 mil at Nike U and Miami is not the same because there is more to it than just that, this is obvious if you look at the cfb landscape and how it has grown/evolved in last decade plus. You need a commitment to winning from the top all the way down. Without that we get the rudderless stationary neverending 7-5 seasons and #buildingchampions hashtags
I'm a skeptic and I think coaches look out for themselves beyond all else. The fact that Mario seemingly does not value $5 million (btw, I just picked a random number) from Oregon the same as $5 million from Miami (pre-investment) makes me feel optimistic that we have the right CEO in place.

Like, I just think that if we had offered Lane the same exact money that he was getting from Ole Miss or Urban they would have bolted without any care in the world about what kind of investment Miami would make to the foundation behind the scenes.

Well said

It’s the first coach in my lifetime that I feel like they will be given everything they need to succeed

It’s been decades of excuses (some valid) and could of, would of, should of etc

I’m not sure if Mario’s plan will ultimately work, but I know he will be given the time and resources to do it

I guess the main takeaway from that is whether Mario is here for 4 years or 20 years, the direction of the entire program is headed in the right direction from an investment standpoint

Advertisement
Well said

It’s the first coach in my lifetime that I feel like they will be given everything they need to succeed

It’s been decades of excuses (some valid) and could of, would of, should of etc

I’m not sure if Mario’s plan will ultimately work, but I know he will be given the time and resources to do it

I guess the main takeaway from that is whether Mario is here for 4 years or 20 years, the direction of the entire program is headed in the right direction from an investment standpoint
When you hear him talk, it seems that short of some remarkable opportunity, Mario plans to be here for a long, long time to see this through. You get the sense that's who he is and that he feels obligated to repay UM for demonstrating the financial commitment to him. I think the only way this goes south is if UM decides to bail on its commitment and reverts back to being cheap.

When you hear him talk, it seems that short of some remarkable opportunity, Mario plans to be here for a long, long time to see this through. You get the sense that's who he is and that he feels obligated to repay UM for demonstrating the financial commitment to him. I think the only way this goes south is if UM decides to bail on its commitment and reverts back to being cheap.
Yep. And I’m 100% sure he told everyone at Miami the same thing

It would make no sense to leave a stable situation in Oregon to come to the **** show we have been just because “he’s a Miami guy”

I’m with you that we are finally on the path. I think that’s one of the strengths of Mario is relationship building. His recruiting speaks to that, but also how he treats people (like coaches he plans on letting go). I know investors and shareholders are data driven these days, but end of the day we still invest in people that we trust, and I think Mario shines in that area

Pate liking Dawson is nice to see and I'm excited to see that sit down. He was one of the first ones in the media to say that other coaches in the industry didn't like Gattis and that Gattis wasn't a fit at UM etc. and he ended up being right.
Pate was hook line and sinker, bought in on Gattis and how big of a hire it was. His tune didn’t change until actual coaches told him to change it. I mean kudos to him for being first to say it out loud, but let’s not act like he watched the film and said nah this won’t work. He was told it wouldn’t, after he was excited about it.

I'm a skeptic and I think coaches look out for themselves beyond all else. The fact that Mario seemingly does not value $5 million (btw, I just picked a random number) from Oregon the same as $5 million from Miami (pre-investment) makes me feel optimistic that we have the right CEO in place.

Like, I just think that if we had offered Lane the same exact money that he was getting from Ole Miss or Urban they would have bolted without any care in the world about what kind of investment Miami would make to the foundation behind the scenes.
I dont believe that to be true because we have been shopping in discount bin for coaches for yearsssssssssss... I think coaches always have request for salaries for themselves AND their staff because they know the realities of cfb. We have been notoriously known in past for being cheap with staff.. A guy like Urban who help put camps like friday night lights and such on map is not gonna go to a situation where he will get needed support.. I cant speak for Lane because I think he wanted out of ole miss bad

But some have been asking for commitment from top for years also, most were called mopes and told we dont have money, give whatever corch another year and hope for best (coker, shannon, golden, etc. ) This has been a mess for such a long time..

Advertisement
Back