Late Kick Josh comes to Miami

Advertisement
Pate was hook line and sinker, bought in on Gattis and how big of a hire it was. His tune didn’t change until actual coaches told him to change it. I mean kudos to him for being first to say it out loud, but let’s not act like he watched the film and said nah this won’t work. He was told it wouldn’t, after he was excited about it.
Anybody would think hiring the Broyles Winner is exciting and a good move. Michigan must've had good PR around the coaching circle for him cause when he left, that's when you heard more coaches come out and say he's not it.

Anybody would think hiring the Broyles Winner is exciting and a good move. Michigan must've had good PR around the coaching circle for him cause when he left, that's when you heard more coaches come out and say he's not it.
Yes he was one of them that had the big headline up there saying how good it looked. I’m not hating on the guy, I think he’s one of the best out there. Just saying he’s not a film guru. Don’t forget, in general, he was hyping last years team and staff. But as I said, credit to him for being the first one to publicly say, it isn’t and won’t work out. He was the first with a national platform.

I dont believe that to be true because we have been shopping in discount bin for coaches for yearsssssssssss... I think coaches always have request for salaries for themselves AND their staff because they know the realities of cfb. We have been notoriously known in past for being cheap with staff.. A guy like Urban who help put camps like friday night lights and such on map is not gonna go to a situation where he will get needed support.. I cant speak for Lane because I think he wanted out of ole miss bad

But some have been asking for commitment from top for years also, most were called mopes and told we dont have money, give whatever corch another year and hope for best (coker, shannon, golden, etc. ) This has been a mess for such a long time..
I could have been more articulate. What I meant to say is, I think Mario more than anyone cares about the long-term success of this program and building a foundation for continued success. I don't think a guy like Lane or Urban would have cared one iota about whether Miami was set up for success after they would have left. In that regard, I think we're lucky to have MC because I think he is going to leave this program in a good place (and certainly in a better place than how he found it).

Advertisement
Listen to through the smoke podcast pate goes into more detail that Mario knew immediately that the offensive coordinator was the wrong one

Heard that as well which makes it more baffling. Think about it - if the mistake of the hire is SO clear to you early on, don't you think it should/would have come up during Mario's screening of his OC candidates? My sense that it did but Mario either dismissed it or thought he could contain it. No way Mario didn't know that Gattis was a toxic dude.

Heard that as well which makes it more baffling. Think about it - if the mistake of the hire is SO clear to you early on, don't you think it should/would have come up during Mario's screening of his OC candidates? My sense that it did but Mario either dismissed it or thought he could contain it. No way Mario didn't know that Gattis was a toxic dude.
I think it was a culmination of a couple things. Mario’s biggest OC prospects were taken off the board, he had just gotten into Miami and was looking at talent acquisition/retention/portal while trying to solidify the high school class and spring ball was approaching quickly. Gattis comes from a big time program that had seen recent success and his sales pitch was “speed in space”. I’m sure Mario took a bit of a risk to get somebody in there asap with a decent track record of recent P5 success and Gattis met those requirements at the time. Kind of a “hey it isn’t who we initially wanted but how bad could it really be?” scenario. However early he realized it was a mistake, I’m sure he tried to remain positive that they’d get it worked out. It didn’t, but Mario always tries to do right by the guys he hired. At the end of the day he’s the one who brought Gattis in. It looks bad if he immediately kicks him to the curb, even if underperforming. So, I think he said ***** it and just white knuckled it through the rest of the season until he could push Gattis to move on after the season ended. The coaching world is a trust bubble of respect and word of mouth. Mario has great respect for that.

Advertisement

I cannot like this enough. My son is a high school QB and Dawson’s demeanor, mindset, and philosophy on offense is all you can ask for in a position coach and coordinator. He has a knack for making the complex sound simple and for instilling confidence in his players (the Kevin White story was incredible).

I’m really excited to see our offense this year and it’s so easy to root for guys like Dawson to succeed.

Great listen. Really like the points he made about programming the QB so that he knows the offense as well as the OC knows the offense. Felt like things last year spiraled for TVD and you could see it in his game. No confidence and looked lost often. I wasn't super bullish on Dawson at first, but I've definitely come around to him. Even if he can get our offense to average, we're going to look like a MUCH different team.

When you hear him talk, it seems that short of some remarkable opportunity, Mario plans to be here for a long, long time to see this through. You get the sense that's who he is and that he feels obligated to repay UM for demonstrating the financial commitment to him. I think the only way this goes south is if UM decides to bail on its commitment and reverts back to being cheap.
good points. if it had to guess, his contract refers to financial commitments required by the employer to the program.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Back