Rumor Lane Kiffin to Auburn

Advertisement
He would have bolted here at the first sign of something better.

Nothing wrong with that, it's been the blueprint for winning coaches here. Win at Miami and move on. It's never been a job people stay for a decade at. He would've won here and moved on. We all would've loved it, hated to see him go, and then hoped we got another good one after him.

Advertisement
Nothing wrong with that, it's been the blueprint for winning coaches here. Win at Miami and move on. It's never been a job people stay for a decade at. He would've won here and moved on. We all would've loved it, hated to see him go, and then hoped we got another good one after him.
You assume he would wait around till we won. I am saying he bolts at the first sign something better pops up.

Talent Goldmine with no P5 competition instate . Kids there are also loyal for the most part to the state P5 flagship. They’d walk on hot coals for a scholarship from Elleshoe.
Before saban got there spurrier said if they ever got the right guy they'd be a force to deal with. ohio state is in a similar position on a lesser scale, really good players in state and no other flagship in state to compete with

You assume he would wait around till we won. I am saying he bolts at the first sign something better pops up.

Okay, gotcha.

You can protect against those things with a contract though. Basically having a buyout that protects us. If someone wanted to hire Mario it would cost them a pretty penny that the school would be paid. Almost every coach has them and the higher profile they are, the costlier they are.

Okay, gotcha.

You can protect against those things with a contract though. Basically having a buyout that protects us. If someone wanted to hire Mario it would cost them a pretty penny that the school would be paid. Almost every coach has them and the higher profile they are, the costlier they are.
They work both ways. For some reason when we have them, they cause coaches to coast and…NOT win. As opposed to their previous schools.

Advertisement
"Unless something significant changes..." i.e. Auburn dumps a truckload of money and another one full of young coeds at his doorstep
Pay Me Kim Kardashian GIF by GQ

Didnt Tubberville leave Ole **** for Auburn too? I like Lane going right where he is going to have to fight Saban on and off the field. He's not going to pull a Meyer and scamper off to the Big 10
Yes. Classic story. When rumors started flying, Tommy held a press conference and said, unequivocally, that Ole Miss was his destination job and the only way he was leaving Oxford was in a “pine box.”

Two days later he left in an Auburn booster’s jet.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Why go play second fiddle to Bama in that state? Seems a lateral move to me at best. You can win 8, 9, and the occasional 10 where he's at and it's a great job. Do that at Auburn and you get fired.

I appreciate that Auburn wants more, but they don't seem to understand their place. It's only going to get worse when TX and OU come on board.

Why go play second fiddle to Bama in that state? Seems a lateral move to me at best. You can win 8, 9, and the occasional 10 where he's at and it's a great job. Do that at Auburn and you get fired.

I appreciate that Auburn wants more, but they don't seem to understand their place. It's only going to get worse when TX and OU come on board.
It is a great option for him either way. 2 cool places to be at. Difference is winning and which program really wants it. Barners put up the cash because of Bama. If Miss State was bama, I imagine Ole Miss would throw more money in the program too. Really the only difference. Bama being bama forces Auburn's hand.

Advertisement

1. A program more determined to win
2. Can be offered a larger contract both financially and length-wise (Mississippi has a stupid state law where you can’t have a coaching deal for more than four years at a time)
3. Whether people want to believe it or not, Auburn is a better program than Ole Miss, and has a higher ceiling.
4. More money = better recruits and a more talented roster top to bottom

FWIW, I think he’s gone.

Some are saying he has $40 million / 4 years extension offer from Ole Miss. Auburn can counter with $100 million / 10 years. Auburn had brand new indoor football facility and NIL support now. Guess he just has to decide what college town is better for him and his dog.
He’s really doubling and tripling down on the whole “I’m staying” thing, so he’s either going to be vehemently despised by Ole Miss or absolutely loved in about a couple weeks.

Advertisement
Back