Josh Pate on the post spring football landscape

C’mon…it’s shear lunacy to think that in today’s environment you will have zero turnover. A talented player who leaves the program is not a sign of a bad culture. ‘Bama suffered its share of transfers during the Saban era. Yet, ‘Bama was considered the gold standard for how to run a football program.

How players conduct themselves during practice (effort, teamwork, communication, etc.) are telling signs of culture, not a handful of players who seek more playing time or more money.
This is 100% correct, you’re just misinterpreting what I’m alluding to.

Everyone is going to have roster turnover. As you highlighted, even the greatest programs will experience losses at key positions - whether that’s for monetary reasons, playing time, proximity to home, etc. And yet, Bama had a culture that fostered NFL development, and more importantly…winning. No culture problems to speak of there. Usually, when you’re winning, nothing else really matters. When you’re winning and your players are stars in the NFL, that’s just the cherry on top.

See, winning really is the ONLY important thing these days, and what ultimately you’re graded on. Just look at Coach Cal at Kentucky…you can bring in the best of the best, but if you’re getting bounced early in conference/national tourneys…none of it matters unless you win. Now I’m a proud star ***** because data shows stars = wins. But if you can’t convert those stars into wins, who’s the problem?

And this is not a “fire Mario post” - it’s way too early for that and Year 3 is too important for the direction of the program, especially as it pertains to conference realignment talks, ACC Championship aspirations, future recruiting (players will not come here if we go 7-6 again), etc.

So when people discuss “culture change” at the University of Miami in regards to the lack of success, what do they really mean? That players are working harder after practice or taking practices seriously? Well that’s not a very high bar, at least to me. It’s a start, sure.

A culture change is just a fun twist on winning as a coping mechanism to make fans feel better about the direction of the program. This year is so interesting because I’ve said all along, Miami has the QB to win 10+ games this year. In fact, I’d go as far to say barring severe injuries, we’ll know in Year 3 if Mario can actually take this team to the playoff or not. If he can’t do it this year, I’m not sure he’ll have a better QB at his disposal during his tenure here. That’s how high I am on Cam Ward. He’s a stud.

We talk about stacking chips and adding players “built different” than our predecessors…well Ray Ray was a top 100 player and desperately wanted by a top 10 program in college football. Collins was committed to a program that just won a national championship, and viewed as a massive recruiting win when the flip occurred. Skinner was a top 2 TE…Those are just a couple examples thus far… Again, every program has players that bust and/or transfer out, but we don’t really have the luxury of whiffing on guys like this right now. It’s just food for thought.

Also, if we won’t pursue certain players due to fears guys will bolt, has the culture really changed? Or is it only when it fits certain parameters has the culture changed? Honestly.

The roster excuse is gone this year. We have Restrepo, Rivers, JHH, Porter Jr. as Manny guys that will be starting, and all have been vetted by Mario and his staff for multiple seasons now. He’s deemed them good enough to be an asset to this team, so no more “wait til Mario gets all his guys” comments. That’s just spew.

The culture is what the record says it is. Notice how Clemson never had any internal issues until they lost to SCar in 2022, and further exasperated last season when they lost to Duke/had that horrid start. USC was just fine until that PAC-12 championship in 2022, and then last season’s disaster. Texas was full of heated fans and pointing fingers til Sark won in 2023.

Mario can put all this to bed momentarily with a 9-3 (preferably 10-2) type of season.

Last edited:
Advertisement
I feel like every year every window we hear the same thing. Every year it increases is this really news?
I am with you here. Everyone made a huge stink about how "crazy" the transfer portal would be this offseason and it was...pretty normal?

I get it. It is the Wild Wild West. But until Kalen DeBoer kidnaps Caleb Downs and hides him in Nick Saban's basement until the season starts, nothing is going to shock me.

was any coach loyal to any university? no. so dont expect the same from players. everyone is there for a reason and it isnt bc they love a school. even mario bounced on his school when the opportunity was better.
Wasn’t referring to just players. Deceit covers coaches administrators etc. especially when they are selling their program and facilities as well. It’s total bull**** now. The alum and fans are being duped in to rooting and ponying up $$ for players and coaches who put self interest before the school. I’m an alum and that makes me a cane. I find it difficult to root for anyone who isn’t a true cane. As soon as lawyers and politicians got involved they do what they do. **** things up ! Class of 74

This is 100% correct, you’re just misinterpreting what I’m alluding to.

Everyone is going to have roster turnover. As you highlighted, even the greatest programs will experience losses at key positions - whether that’s for monetary reasons, playing time, proximity to home, etc. And yet, Bama had a culture that fostered NFL development, and more importantly…winning. No culture problems to speak of there. Usually, when you’re winning, nothing else really matters. When you’re winning and your players are stars in the NFL, that’s just the cherry on top.

See, winning really is the ONLY important thing these days, and what ultimately you’re graded on. Just look at Coach Cal at Kentucky…you can bring in the best of the best, but if you’re getting bounced early in conference/national tourneys…none of it matters unless you win. Now I’m a proud star ***** because data shows stars = wins. But if you can’t convert those stars into wins, who’s the problem?

And this is not a “fire Mario post” - it’s way too early for that and Year 3 is too important for the direction of the program, especially as it pertains to conference realignment talks, ACC Championship aspirations, future recruiting (players will not come here if we go 7-6 again), etc.

So when people discuss “culture change” at the University of Miami in regards to the lack of success, what do they really mean? That players are working harder after practice or taking practices seriously? Well that’s not a very high bar, at least to me. It’s a start, sure.

A culture change is just a fun twist on winning as a coping mechanism to make fans feel better about the direction of the program. This year is so interesting because I’ve said all along, Miami has the QB to win 10+ games this year. In fact, I’d go as far to say barring severe injuries, we’ll know in Year 3 if Mario can actually take this team to the playoff or not. If he can’t do it this year, I’m not sure he’ll have a better QB at his disposal during his tenure here. That’s how high I am on Cam Ward. He’s a stud.

We talk about stacking chips and adding players “built different” than our predecessors…well Ray Ray was a top 100 player and desperately wanted by a top 10 program in college football. Collins was committed to a program that just won a national championship, and viewed as a massive recruiting win when the flip occurred. Skinner was a top 2 TE…Those are just a couple examples thus far… Again, every program has players that bust and/or transfer out, but we don’t really have the luxury of whiffing on guys like this right now. It’s just food for thought.

Also, if we won’t pursue certain players due to fears guys will bolt, has the culture really changed? Or is it only when it fits certain parameters has the culture changed? Honestly.

The roster excuse is gone this year. We have Restrepo, Rivers, JHH, Porter Jr. as Manny guys that will be starting, and all have been vetted by Mario and his staff for multiple seasons now. He’s deemed them good enough to be an asset to this team, so no more “wait til Mario gets all his guys” comments. That’s just spew.

The culture is what the record says it is. Notice how Clemson never had any internal issues until they lost to SCar in 2022, and further exasperated last season when they lost to Duke/had that horrid start. USC was just fine until that PAC-12 championship in 2022, and then last season’s disaster. Texas was full of heated fans and pointing fingers til Sark won in 2023.

Mario can put all this to bed momentarily with a 9-3 (preferably 10-2) type of season.
Porter is a Mario transfer. Borregales is the only other Manny starter.

My question is what real power would a new p2 body have that the ncaa doesn't already have?

If congress and the courts and overuling the ncaa, what would make the p2 new body any different?

The only solution I see to all of this is making the players employees and implementing contracts and heavy buyouts.
Bingo

Advertisement
Upgrade or Parrish wouldn't have been out the door to begin with. He was going to split snaps here and be a number 2 and he'll split snaps at Ole Miss and be behind Ulysses Bentley.

Pointless move unless it would have been a clear demotion to 3rd on the depth chart here.
You might as well add a name at this point. Besides, it’s just CanesInsight no one reading this. 👀

I hope part of that portal craziness involves UM getting a top WR, because I think we are going to be in a lot of shootouts with our mediocre secondary. Cristobal will have to do best Lincoln Riley impression.
I agree with you about the secondary being a concern, but on the flip side of that our front seven should be elite, especially our ability to put maximum pressure on the QB. So, hopefully, our DB’s shouldn’t have to hold out for very long and opposing offenses are constantly going to be under pressure to get rid of the ball in a hurry. The hope is that it should be able to make up for any deficiencies we have in the secondary.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Trying not to get my hopes up here because I know we have been left with our ****s in our hands before with kids we were confident about. Then said kids entered and other schools got a hold of them and it was curtains for us or they decided not to even enter. I hope that check book is ready, we need help in quite a few spots if we want to contend for anything worth a ****.

Advertisement
Back