Jimmy Gaines

You know…all of this is pointless until he makes an NFL roster and becomes a starter at LB. I'll wait and see.

All that I see now is a 2* kid from Buffalo with limited athletic ability start for almost three years at Miami. I'd say that's getting a lot from a kid. In fact, remove him from the conversation…if I told you a 2* kid from Buffalo, NY came in and started for almost three years (with no redshirt) you'd probably say I was bull****ting you. To me, that's a pretty good job by the staff.

It's not getting a lot from the kid if he was actually good enough to play in the NFL but was average on a good day at Miami.

Advertisement
You know…all of this is pointless until he makes an NFL roster and becomes a starter at LB. I'll wait and see.

All that I see now is a 2* kid from Buffalo with limited athletic ability start for almost three years at Miami. I'd say that's getting a lot from a kid. In fact, remove him from the conversation…if I told you a 2* kid from Buffalo, NY came in and started for almost three years (with no redshirt) you'd probably say I was bull****ting you. To me, that's a pretty good job by the staff.

It's not getting a lot from the kid if he was actually good enough to play in the NFL but was average on a good day at Miami.

Like I said. We'll see if he starts in the league.

If he doesn't play or worse, like not even make a team, does it then mean a lot was gotten from him while here?

If he doesn't play or worse, like not even make a team, does it then mean a lot was gotten from him while here?

Exactly…it's such a crazy argument.

Sure. It would mean he is what he is and we know for sure that he was just an average player. That's what I think he is, anyway.

Advertisement
Gaines may have gotten a little too big here which probably worsened his athletic limits. I wouldn't expect him to be a major player for any nfl team not depleted by injuries. This reminds a bit of spencer Adkins playing some in the preseason prompting all the posts of how he was mismanaged. Nonetheless it does look as though he might've been under appreciated here. If anything it might be an eye-opener for those on the "we'll be so much better there now that Gaines is gone" train where some seldom-seen guy is always better than the longtime starter.

He was very limited athletically. Probably a pretty smart player and hard worker--can't take that away from him. From what I can tell, he always represented himself and the school with a ton of class. With that said, I do believe we will be upgraded on the field with his departure.

Heard it before. Rarely do you upgrade from a departure. You upgrade because a young player develops and becomes better. The upgrade wo''t be because Gaines left it'd be because Kirby is now a player. I hope so but you're working on blind faith. If I wouldve told people like yourself that Gaines would make an NFL roster and possibly contributed you would've scoffed. Hopefully Kirby rewards your blind faith.

[video=youtube;A2xCv0bXnDY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=A2xCv0bXnDY[/video]

Check this out and get back...

Didn't watch it. Was Kirby making a bunch of plays in the footage? Otherwise irrelevant to your argument with me at least.
I'm not even pro Gaines as I dont care about one guy vs another but don't any of you tire of saying that the coaches are dumb and the backup is better?

A few points to add.

Gaines was a 2 star- 2 stars are not expected to be more than just backups, role players and special teams players. Golden and staff were able to develop him into a 2 year starter. This alone should speak the good job they did in maximizing Gaines value relative to his expectations coming out of HS. The fact that he was able to start and contribute is what got in on an NFL roster. Nothing but credit should be going to Golden and staff.

Players should improve with NFL coaching. It should be obvious that NFL coaching is BETTER than college coaching. That fact is not a knock on the college staff. Besides, NFL coaches spend MORE TIME with players than college coaches due to no restrictions being placed on them by NCAA rule. I believe in college you can only spend 20 hrs week in practice. Not so in the NFL.. So it should stand to reason that players should improve with better coaching in the NFL.

So if he does improve to the point where he can be a productive player in the NFL that should not be a knock on Golden and Staff but rather validation of the good coaching he received while in college.

There are a lot of hypocrites in this thread. Man I wish these same excuses came up 4 to 6 years ago with players leaving with doing little while here.

I will say this tho. You can't say he maximized Gaines but then use talent as an excuse. " oh Golden was being loyal to seniors, that's why they started".

Pure comedy.

Good Lord that film of Jimmy. If you want to feel comfortable that the D will be better just watch at the 2:38 clip. A simple zone read and Gaines is literally right in the gap . Instead of squeezing the gap, his eyes are on the QB, which isn't his man, and the RB rips off 15 yds up the middle in through Gaines's gap.

The next play at 3:26 the slot WR pulls up right in his hook zone, Gaines is right there and doesn't see the ball or feel the man next to him. He just ran to a spot without eyes! 10 yd completion.

Finally he makes a play at 3:52. Another zone read, same as the first play that I talked about to the other side and he is right in the gap, and makes the play. Doesn't even look at the Qb , squeezes his gap and WTF, he makes a tackle!

Film sessions couldn't have been fun for Gaines. I have no clue why they didn't keep Perryman in the Middle. He is going to make a huge difference in the middle. He's gotta stay healthy.

Advertisement
Gaines may have gotten a little too big here which probably worsened his athletic limits. I wouldn't expect him to be a major player for any nfl team not depleted by injuries. This reminds a bit of spencer Adkins playing some in the preseason prompting all the posts of how he was mismanaged. Nonetheless it does look as though he might've been under appreciated here. If anything it might be an eye-opener for those on the "we'll be so much better there now that Gaines is gone" train where some seldom-seen guy is always better than the longtime starter.

He was very limited athletically. Probably a pretty smart player and hard worker--can't take that away from him. From what I can tell, he always represented himself and the school with a ton of class. With that said, I do believe we will be upgraded on the field with his departure.

Heard it before. Rarely do you upgrade from a departure. You upgrade because a young player develops and becomes better. The upgrade wo''t be because Gaines left it'd be because Kirby is now a player. I hope so but you're working on blind faith. If I wouldve told people like yourself that Gaines would make an NFL roster and possibly contributed you would've scoffed. Hopefully Kirby rewards your blind faith.

[video=youtube;A2xCv0bXnDY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=A2xCv0bXnDY[/video]

wow the combo with Gaines and Cornelius and Gaines and Armbrister had to be one of the worst LB combo's ever at the U.
Especially when Cornelius was it was like we were playing with 10 players.
Throw in Highsmith behnid them and it was a disaster of a unit.

Didn't watch it. Was Kirby making a bunch of plays in the footage? Otherwise irrelevant to your argument with me at least.
I'm not even pro Gaines as I dont care about one guy vs another but don't any of you tire of saying that the coaches are dumb and the backup is better?

Watch the first 5 minutes.

wow the combo with Gaines and Cornelius and Gaines and Armbrister had to be one of the worst LB combo's ever at the U.
Especially when Cornelius was it was like we were playing with 10 players.
Throw in Highsmith behnid them and it was a disaster of a unit.
This^^

I am firmly in the camp the Coach D is in his put up or gtfo year, but cotdam when you see Highsmith and Gaines just show a total lack of athleticism it goes to show some of what he's been working with. That said…no excuses this year.

Advertisement
A few points to add.

Gaines was a 2 star- 2 stars are not expected to be more than just backups, role players and special teams players. Golden and staff were able to develop him into a 2 year starter. This alone should speak the good job they did in maximizing Gaines value relative to his expectations coming out of HS. The fact that he was able to start and contribute is what got in on an NFL roster. Nothing but credit should be going to Golden and staff.

Players should improve with NFL coaching. It should be obvious that NFL coaching is BETTER than college coaching. That fact is not a knock on the college staff. Besides, NFL coaches spend MORE TIME with players than college coaches due to no restrictions being placed on them by NCAA rule. I believe in college you can only spend 20 hrs week in practice. Not so in the NFL.. So it should stand to reason that players should improve with better coaching in the NFL.

So if he does improve to the point where he can be a productive player in the NFL that should not be a knock on Golden and Staff but rather validation of the good coaching he received while in college.

This starter in college for a terrible defense is BS. You know it and I know it. We also know he did little ON THE FIELD during his tenure. Name me all those big plays. Could it have been the coaching he received, maybe. Could it be he was not a quality player, maybe. Simply starting on an unsuccessful college defense doesn't mean much without showing something of merit (see Tracy Howard and his ability to stand out).

He started for a defense that was terrible and perhaps he was implemented poorly into a terrible scheme. Perhaps he wasn't properly taught (coached up) and developed during his college tenure. Perhaps someone else should have been starting. The fact that simply starting for a terrible defense means something without anything behind it (MEANINGFUL PLAYS) is not enough to make an argument for your case.

So yes, Gaines started. Congrats. He was an undrafted 2 year starter for the Bill. It has nothing to do with his arbitrary 2 star rating either.

No doubt that players improve with actual (let's face it) and BETTER professional coaching.

Look at Sam Sheilds. Sam started all over the place for Miami. He didn't show much during his tenure. He was UNDRAFTED and developed and look at him now.

Look at Spencer Adkins. He hardly played during his tenure at Miami. Somehow he was drafted and able to make a roster for 3-4 years.

These examples are easy to point out after all the information is ascertained. We will see what happens next for Jimmy Gaines.

The NFL is played more within the tackle box, Gaines doesn't have as much coverage responsibilities. It's why a guy like Colin McCarthy looked better in the NFL than he did here. But we might wanna wait until Gaines actually does something in a real game before any conclusions are drawn.

Advertisement
Back