Jimmy Gaines

Best of luck to our Cane brother. By the way, have you guys notice how well recruiting seems to be going? Staff is killing it for 2016 and looks like 2015 is recovering the impact of last year's finish. Be happy while the good news last. Plenty of time to ***** and moan after season starts.

Advertisement
Let's not forget it's Buffalo!!!! This is not like it's Green Bay who's front office has consistently shown they have an eye for evaluating talent. Buffalo is like the complete opposite of Green Bay. With that, all the best Jimmy. I hope you make it and play 10-12 years in the league.

What's funny is that almost all of our players from last year we trashed are on nfl camps. Don't know how. Don't know why but this U speaks volumes in the NFL.

Gaines has zero instincts and never should have played MLB. WS fits him nicely. He doesn't have to think, he's covered and he can just chase.

Advertisement
543.jpg

He's a CANE I wish him all the best... I want a ton of CANES in the NFL... so these recruits will know that we are NFLU.

It goes to show that the defense we run is very complex for college, as this has been stated... but it gets guys ready for the NFL... so they are mentally prepared and ahead of schedule. The NFL is a passing league and the 3-4 scheme is what they use to contest that. And due to the fact that Gaines played all 3 LB positions only made it better for him... I think Golden is doing a good job with these young men... The problem is the play calling. That's on D'No!

There is a lot of confusion and misguided posts on here so let’s set everything straight and establish some logic and reasoning:

1. Inefficient: If a player has MINIMAL success in college but is able to excel in the pros…I think it is fair to say that the coaches in college were unable to maximize his ability during his tenure.

Example: Sam Shields

Players that don’t fit here are players who are injured for the majority of college or suspended during their tenure or transfer out of the program. I would also say that players like Jimmy Graham shouldn’t fit in this category unless the player was ready to go and able to do more.

2. Efficient: If a player has a TON of success in college but is unable to excel in the pros…I think it is fair to say that the coaches in college were able to maximize his ability during his tenure.

Example: Ken Dorsey

Players who are inefficient could potential mean that they received poor coaching and development during that time. The logic being the NFL is more competitive and has better players, if the NFL can make more out of them then they probably could have been used better during their college tenure.

Players who are efficient could potential mean that the coaches maximized the player's ability during their college tenure.

Please note: Excel doesn’t mean pro-bowl or all-pro. It just means that the player is able to have some degree of success. I would say if a player does NOTHING during college but is able to stick around 3-4 years on an NFL roster (i.e. Spencer Adkins), I would say that counts as excelling.

Advertisement
Ill wish the best for the guy in the league, but the guy was garbage here, hes tackling sucked, and he would mess up on easy reads that ive seen kids in high school make on a consistent basis

What's funny is that almost all of our players from last year we trashed are on nfl camps. Don't know how. Don't know why but this U speaks volumes in the NFL.

Because teams always take a chance on a kid to find that diamond in the rough, i hope they make a roster because its always nice to see canes on nfl rosters, but what i saw last year with some of these guys i doubt it

Gaines may have gotten a little too big here which probably worsened his athletic limits. I wouldn't expect him to be a major player for any nfl team not depleted by injuries. This reminds a bit of spencer Adkins playing some in the preseason prompting all the posts of how he was mismanaged. Nonetheless it does look as though he might've been under appreciated here. If anything it might be an eye-opener for those on the "we'll be so much better there now that Gaines is gone" train where some seldom-seen guy is always better than the longtime starter.

He was very limited athletically. Probably a pretty smart player and hard worker--can't take that away from him. From what I can tell, he always represented himself and the school with a ton of class. With that said, I do believe we will be upgraded on the field with his departure.

He was never a middle backer... He was better suited for weak-side... He just had good size but he added more weight which slowed him down... Not saying he'll be an all pro but he'll make the team and be a solid contributor... For the past 3 years our defense sucked... There has been a regression each year, hopefully there will be a noticeable improvement this year...

Advertisement
Gaines may have gotten a little too big here which probably worsened his athletic limits. I wouldn't expect him to be a major player for any nfl team not depleted by injuries. This reminds a bit of spencer Adkins playing some in the preseason prompting all the posts of how he was mismanaged. Nonetheless it does look as though he might've been under appreciated here. If anything it might be an eye-opener for those on the "we'll be so much better there now that Gaines is gone" train where some seldom-seen guy is always better than the longtime starter.

He was very limited athletically. Probably a pretty smart player and hard worker--can't take that away from him. From what I can tell, he always represented himself and the school with a ton of class. With that said, I do believe we will be upgraded on the field with his departure.

He didn't come here limited athletically... That was his selling point... He was pretty athletic but he eventually got too heavy...

There is a lot of confusion and misguided posts on here so let’s set everything straight and establish some logic and reasoning:

1. Inefficient: If a player has MINIMAL success in college but is able to excel in the pros…I think it is fair to say that the coaches in college were unable to maximize his ability during his tenure.

Example: Sam Shields

Players that don’t fit here are players who are injured for the majority of college or suspended during their tenure or transfer out of the program. I would also say that players like Jimmy Graham shouldn’t fit in this category unless the player was ready to go and able to do more.

2. Efficient: If a player has a TON of success in college but is unable to excel in the pros…I think it is fair to say that the coaches in college were able to maximize his ability during his tenure.

Example: Ken Dorsey

Players who are inefficient could potential mean that they received poor coaching and development during that time. The logic being the NFL is more competitive and has better players, if the NFL can make more out of them then they probably could have been used better during their college tenure.

Players who are efficient could potential mean that the coaches maximized the player's ability during their college tenure.

Please note: Excel doesn’t mean pro-bowl or all-pro. It just means that the player is able to have some degree of success. I would say if a player does NOTHING during college but is able to stick around 3-4 years on an NFL roster (i.e. Spencer Adkins), I would say that counts as excelling.

Sometimes players just come in and play the position they aren't meant to play. It's really hard to determine sometimes where a kid should play who excelled in high school playing QB/WR/CB/S. Sometimes it's more obvious.

Take these guys for example:
Sean Taylor: played RB/S/LB in high school. Was one of the best running backs in fhsaa history. However, he made the switch to S and became a legend.
Devin Hester: played RB/WR/CB in high school. Never really found a position in college or the NFL. As of now is the GOAT return man in NFL history.
Richard Sherman: Played WR the vast majority of his college career: Statistically the best CB in the NFL.
Jimmy Graham: Played one year of college football. Best three year start to a TE's career in NFL history.

I hope we can enjoy seeing that type of success with Dallas Crawford this year. Safety is where he will be the most comfortable.

Sometimes players just come in and play the position they aren't meant to play. It's really hard to determine sometimes where a kid should play who excelled in high school playing QB/WR/CB/S. Sometimes it's more obvious.

Sean Taylor: played RB/S/LB in high school. Was one of the best running backs in fhsaa history. However, he made the switch to S and became a legend.
Devin Hester: played RB/WR/CB in high school. Never really found a position in college or the NFL. As of now is the GOAT return man in NFL history.
Richard Sherman: Played WR the vast majority of his college career: Statistically the best CB in the NFL.
Jimmy Graham: Played one year of college football. Best three year start to a TE's career in NFL history.

I hope we can enjoy seeing that type of success with Dallas Crawford this year. Safety is where he will be the most comfortable.

This is still on the coaches. It is the coaches who recruit the player, it is the coaches who place the player (at the position) and it is the coaches who develop the player. That is on the coaches to put the player in the best position possible to help the team and to maximize the output (performance) of the players.

Advertisement

This is still on the coaches. It is the coaches who recruit the player, it is the coaches who place the player (at the position) and it is the coaches who develop the player. That is on the coaches to put the player in the best position possible to help the team and to maximize the output (performance) of the players.

Yes, but kids often commit to a school so that they can play a certain position. Can be because of depth chart reasons, their parents wanting them to, or maybe the kid just thinks he should be a WR when in reality he should be playing CB. I guess ultimately the buck always stops with the coaches, but you can't just say they aren't good evaluators of talent or bad talent managers without knowing all the facts.

He didn't come here limited athletically... That was his selling point... He was pretty athletic but he eventually got too heavy...

Athletic kids put on weight all the time. It's the kids that aren't very athletic that can't handle the additional weight. Countless examples of players that have put on good weight and actually seen their explosiveness increase.

Athletic kids put on weight all the time. It's the kids that aren't very athletic that can't handle the additional weight. Countless examples of players that have put on good weight and actually seen their explosiveness increase.

There are just as many "countless cases" where kids had put on too much weight and loss their athleticism... In this case the added weight hurt Gaines... There's a max to how much a player can carry... Everyone is different...

Advertisement
Back