Jimmy Gaines

Gaines may have gotten a little too big here which probably worsened his athletic limits. I wouldn't expect him to be a major player for any nfl team not depleted by injuries. This reminds a bit of spencer Adkins playing some in the preseason prompting all the posts of how he was mismanaged. Nonetheless it does look as though he might've been under appreciated here. If anything it might be an eye-opener for those on the "we'll be so much better there now that Gaines is gone" train where some seldom-seen guy is always better than the longtime starter.

He was very limited athletically. Probably a pretty smart player and hard worker--can't take that away from him. From what I can tell, he always represented himself and the school with a ton of class. With that said, I do believe we will be upgraded on the field with his departure.

He didn't come here limited athletically... That was his selling point... He was pretty athletic but he eventually got too heavy...

Athletic kids put on weight all the time. It's the kids that aren't very athletic that can't handle the additional weight. Countless examples of players that have put on good weight and actually seen their explosiveness increase.

There are just as many "countless cases" where kids had put on too much weight and loss their athleticism... In this case the added weight hurt Gaines... There's a max to how much a player can carry... Everyone is different...

Fire swasey?

Advertisement
We had similar threads about Laron Byrd, Forston, Jacory, and on and on....

But it should never surprise anyone when a kid from here plays better in the NFL; it's a terrible trend that's been happening for about 10 years, and proof that our players when in school don't develop.

Naw I'm not with the "fire Swasey" crew... I don't know that much about Strength and Cinfitioning haha... If the coaches are fine with him then I am as well...

Yes, but kids often commit to a school so that they can play a certain position. Can be because of depth chart reasons, their parents wanting them to, or maybe the kid just thinks he should be a WR when in reality he should be playing CB. I guess ultimately the buck always stops with the coaches, but you can't just say they aren't good evaluators of talent or bad talent managers without knowing all the facts.

Sure I can. Don't recruit the player that won't change positions. Next....

My post is just about making sense of what is going on during and after college.

If Jimmy Gaines goes on to excel in the NFL, I would say he was inefficient during his college tenure. Would you agree?

Yes, but kids often commit to a school so that they can play a certain position. Can be because of depth chart reasons, their parents wanting them to, or maybe the kid just thinks he should be a WR when in reality he should be playing CB. I guess ultimately the buck always stops with the coaches, but you can't just say they aren't good evaluators of talent or bad talent managers without knowing all the facts.

Sure I can. Don't recruit the player that won't change positions. Next….

My post is just about making sense of what is going on during and after college.

If Jimmy Gaines goes on to excel in the NFL, I would say he was inefficient during his college tenure. Would you agree?

Define excel and inefficient as you understand them in this context. I think a 2* kid coming into Miami from Buffalo, NY and eventually earning a starting job at a key position is pretty remarkable.

Advertisement

Define excel and inefficient as you understand them in this context. I think a 2* kid coming into Miami from Buffalo, NY and eventually earning a starting job at a key position is pretty remarkable.

Already defined. This stuff is pretty easy to understand as well.

The defense that he started on was terrible. It's not the 85 bears we're talking about.

The defense that he started on was terrible. It's not the 85 bears we're talking about.

So, if a 2* kid comes in and earns a starting job at Miami and then is an UFA and makes an NFL team (hasn't happened yet), the coaching staff in college mis-managed and/or didn't develop him. That's your stance?

Advertisement
Gaines may have gotten a little too big here which probably worsened his athletic limits. I wouldn't expect him to be a major player for any nfl team not depleted by injuries. This reminds a bit of spencer Adkins playing some in the preseason prompting all the posts of how he was mismanaged. Nonetheless it does look as though he might've been under appreciated here. If anything it might be an eye-opener for those on the "we'll be so much better there now that Gaines is gone" train where some seldom-seen guy is always better than the longtime starter.

He was very limited athletically. Probably a pretty smart player and hard worker--can't take that away from him. From what I can tell, he always represented himself and the school with a ton of class. With that said, I do believe we will be upgraded on the field with his departure.

Heard it before. Rarely do you upgrade from a departure. You upgrade because a young player develops and becomes better. The upgrade wo''t be because Gaines left it'd be because Kirby is now a player. I hope so but you're working on blind faith. If I wouldve told people like yourself that Gaines would make an NFL roster and possibly contributed you would've scoffed. Hopefully Kirby rewards your blind faith.

Heard it before. Rarely do you upgrade from a departure. You upgrade because a young player develops and becomes better. The upgrade wo''t be because Gaines left it'd be because Kirby is now a player. I hope so but you're working on blind faith. If I wouldve told people like yourself that Gaines would make an NFL roster and possibly contributed you would've scoffed. Hopefully Kirby rewards your blind faith.

[video=youtube;A2xCv0bXnDY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=A2xCv0bXnDY[/video]

Check this out and get back...

4:18 is a real doozie
6:10
6:30
7:05

I'd keep going, but I don't want to pile on.

Last edited:
Advertisement

So, if a 2* kid comes in and earns a starting job at Miami and then is an UFA and makes an NFL team (hasn't happened yet), the coaching staff in college mis-managed and/or didn't develop him. That's your stance?

Yeah, I would say if a kid is able to make an NFL team and contribute but was a so-so player in college and wasn't drafted because he wasn't a good college player, then he was mismanaged by the staff. The fact that he was a 2* is a red herring.

Yeah, I would say if a kid is able to make an NFL team and contribute but was a so-so player in college and wasn't drafted because he wasn't a good college player, then he was mismanaged by the staff. The fact that he was a 2* is a red herring.

So the same principal that applies going from high school to college, doesn't apply when going from college to the NFL? Makes no sense and shows how some are simply out to get this coaching staff by any means necessary.

So the same principal that applies going from high school to college, doesn't apply when going from college to the NFL? Makes no sense and shows how some are simply out to get this coaching staff by any means necessary.

Huh? How does Jimmy Gaines being a 2 star have anything to do with the fact that under this hypothetical, he is a contributing NFL player who was average at best, and was so average that he didn't even get drafted? Not sure what you're going for.

Advertisement

Huh? How does Jimmy Gaines being a 2 star have anything to do with the fact that under this hypothetical, he is a contributing NFL player who was average at best, and was so average that he didn't even get drafted? Not sure what you're going for.

Ok…I'll slow it down for you.

Average high school player that goes on to start almost three years at Miami.
Average player at Miami that goes on to play in the NFL.

Where has he been mis-managed in this process? Mis-managed would be a guy like Arthur Brown. Much better example.

Where has he been mis-managed in this process? Mis-managed would be a guy like Arthur Brown. Much better example.

You get too esoteric in your arguments. Bottom line: If Gaines succeeds in the NFL, then he should have been more productive at UM because the NFL is a MUCH tougher league with far fewer players.

I'm not sure what you're trying to get at here. What does his high school career have to do with Gaines being an average to below average player at Miami, but then hypothetically being an NFL contributor? Maybe he was mismanaged in high school and that's why he was a 2 star. Or maybe he didn't get enough exposure because he was from Buffalo. I have no clue. I don't know much about Gaines in high school. What I do know is that if he is capable of playing in the NFL, he sure didn't show it at Miami. I agree with PennMed's take, though.

You know…all of this is pointless until he makes an NFL roster and becomes a starter at LB. I'll wait and see.

All that I see now is a 2* kid from Buffalo with limited athletic ability start for almost three years at Miami. I'd say that's getting a lot from a kid. In fact, remove him from the conversation…if I told you a 2* kid from Buffalo, NY came in and started for almost three years (with no redshirt) you'd probably say I was bull****ting you. To me, that's a pretty good job by the staff.

Advertisement
Back