Jim Harbaugh on the most important position group

Advertisement
Every position is important.
Water boy is most important.

Adam Sandler Water GIF

Did we not just have an elite OL & Avg. QB?
Hear me out...

Overall...

Miami OL (above average) + TVD (below average) = cheeky cheeks

Miami OL (above average) + Emory DAW GAWD (average-ish+) = much better and would have been even better if given an entire season

Advertisement
QB/OL/DL. Those are the championship winning position groups. Oline you don’t need elite talent however. You can get great OLine play out of day 3 or UdFA talent.

Also, did we really? We pass protected well, but oftentimes used max protect to achieve that.

Was the running game indicative of a Top 10 OL?

UGA ran the ball for over 100 yards against every team they played except Bama, and they lost.

We averaged under 4 yards a carry in 5 games last year. And that’s not due to a ton of sacks.

I don’t think we had a top 10 OL last year, it just seemed that way at times due to the pass pro and how awful it’s been for so long, it looked a lot better than it was. It was very good, don’t get me wrong, but we didn’t move A&M. We didn’t move FSU. We didn’t move NC State or GT.
100%

Advertisement
Hear me out...

Overall...

Miami OL (above average) + TVD (below average) = cheeky cheeks

Miami OL (above average) + Emory DAW GAWD (average-ish+) = much better and would have been even better if given an entire season

So all last season we were talking about how “elite” the OL, now it was “above average?” Lol.

Maybe we should retire the word “elite” from CIS. TVD goes from elite in 2021 to below average.

Man; listen, give me the elite QB w/ an average OL every day out the week, vs. an elite OL & an average QB.

Cmon bruh. Now you're changing the narrative. The whole conversation was about what's the most important position group. Obviously you still need a capable qb. But you don't have an elite qb who carries you without **** good oline play.
I’m not changing any narrative. The most important position/position group is QB. Let me give you a Miami specific example. Washington St had a tougher strength of schedule and ranked 1 spot ahead of Miami in scoring offense, with a much worse O line. Cam Ward was the difference.

If you want to win big, you need a good to elite QB. You only need average to good O line play.

Advertisement
What about the time they are all draft eligible?
I hope they’ll be significantly better this year. Year 3 should show about all we can get out of some of these guys (ie: rivers and the RG whose name currently escapes me). Problem being we should have solid qb play too so it’ll be hard to judge which unit really made a true difference.

Advertisement
Oregon won 10 with Anthony Brown right? Same amount as heisman winner for LSU this year.
LSU lost bc of their defense. Oregon won a ton of close games against bad teams. Beat one good team, and then got destroyed by the other two good teams they played, Utah twice and OU. It’s fine to lean on bad teams, but when you can’t do that, you need a QB to take over. Brown couldn’t do that. He’s the reason they weren’t winning 12 games. No O line was dragging that guy to a title.

Verdell was also better than anybody Miami ran out there.

So all last season we were talking about how “elite” the OL, now it was “above average?” Lol.

Maybe we should retire the word “elite” from CIS. TVD goes from elite in 2021 to below average.

Man; listen, give me the elite QB w/ an average OL every day out the week, vs. an elite OL & an average QB.
Well regardless I don't think RB/WR/TE are touching OL (as a whole) in importance, and LB/DB are even further away from touching DL. I'd have WR1 ahead of all 3 interior position on an individual position basis, though I think in college Center is possibly even more important than in the NFL because they're likely to have more responsibility in line calls. Right there with/above both tackles. But WR2 would be below all 5 of the OL positions...

I've always just separated Qb when discussing positional importance. To me there is a bigger impactfulness gap between Elite Qb and Good Qb than there is Elite Oline and good Oline. So from that perspective I agree. However I'd put it like this: Having an elite Oline means a higher floor, while having an elite QB means having a higher ceiling. Like I think the probability is higher of having a great Qb but still not having success, than it is to have a great OLine and not have success. Like it takes a TVD throwing an absurd number of interceptions to negate that advantage... But like look at Cam Ward, I think we'd all say he's a great Talent... how much success did he just have at WSU? less than us. That happens ALL THE TIME.

I do think in college it's far easier to at least get a national championship baseline play/production out of a QB though. Like they need to be a good college Qb. But they don't really need to be an great talent in the eyes of the NFL and most fans. Tebow is a perfect example of this. That dude truly sucks as a Qb talent, but was elite in college. You also have Heupel, Leak, Dorsey, Mauck, McElroy, Barrett/cardale jones, all of whom who were UDFA/7th rounders. Weinke was 28 and was never very talented... Thats like 25% of the BCS/CFP National Championship winning Qbs lol. Were any of them what we'd call a great/elite QB on their own? You take them and put them on a team without the elite OL/Defense/WRs etc are they getting anywhere close to the same production? Are they carrying their teams even to a top 25 ranking? Not sure. But you take say any of the top say 35 Qbs in those seasons and place them on those teams, are they still winning?.. better odds than I'd give the qbs of doing that.

Talent and production are very different for a QB. On their own talent levels, I think we can describe several of those names as below average; Yet pretty much all had great production. In the NFL we have quite a few examples of unquestionably below average QBs making and to a lesser extent winning championships. Usually with the aid of great Defense and OLine. I don't know how many examples of straight bad OLines winning championships. Maybe recently Rams/bengals with Stafford/burrow - but they were both bad and had great defenses. One of Mahomes' seasons (not this yr), maybe Giants OL one year? Not sure...

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back